Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 05:53 PM

Default still having clutch problems

I have taken my clutch and torque converter off numerous times and cleaned them and lubed them up but my go kart is still jerking really bad when i am accelerating, but when its up to speed its fine until i slow down and go to speed up again.
And with the clutch, are you supposed to tighten the spring before you slip it on the shaft or do you just slide it on? If you have to tighten it how many turns? Another thing with the clutch is i have two karts with the same setup so i was looking at the other setup and noticed that it has a snap ring on the end of the pulley shaft but the one im having problems with doesnt...Could this be why im getting a jerking when i accelerate?....because i am also having problems with the nut coming loose on the clutch shaft...
Sorry for the book but im just frustrated with this thing and idk if i can fix this problem or if i have to buy a new clutch...

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Jpgregorc08; 09-09-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: didnt finish writing
Old 09-09-2010, 07:32 PM
thinker and tinkerer

the jerking is probably due to the spacing between the motor and driven. that or your belt is too worn. how worn are the weights/springs in the driver? you tighten the spring using the inner cam and outer cam. have the outer in place but not fully pushed in. leave enough room to allow the inner cam to rotate past the outer without hanging up on each other. you need the snap ring to keep the outer cam from backing off and loosing your tension. if it backs off far enough, you will go no where fast. the nut on the clutch shaft? do you mean the bolt which retains the driver on the crankshaft?
Old 09-09-2010, 07:49 PM

sounds like the problem is with the driven pulley. sounds like that clip fell off and then the pulley was allowed to slip past the pads. you need to put tention on that spring by twisting it as you put the outer cam thing on. you have to twist the outer pulley half twords the back as you put the outer cam on and yes you do need that clip so that the outer cam can set in far enough. it needs to look and act like your working one when its together. these torque converters can be very finicky they need to be setup just right. Dont ride it when its acting funny youll end up breaking it more
Old 09-09-2010, 08:05 PM

ok so as far as i know i have been doing everything right according to what you guys said all i have to do is get a snap ring and hopefully that will solve my problems. prolly gonna give the whole thing a parts cleaner bath and then spray it down with some dry lube before reassembly...i just hope i dont need a new clutch hopefully its just a snap ring
Old 09-09-2010, 08:16 PM

what type of belt would you guys suggest i run on the 20 series comet clutch ? is there a certain one made for it?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:22 PM
thinker and tinkerer

20's are symmetrical if memory serves. before spending money on anything other than the clip ring, check your belt tension. is this a tav or tc? the difference is a tav has a set spacing, whereas the tc is adjustable spacing.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Kart Aficionado

The driven clutch is spring loaded and can not be so if you do not have it assembled properly with the ring in place holding tension. As far as the belt goes, there is a specific belt you need to be using which has angles which match that of your clutches and is sized in proportion to the distance between the two clutches and the diameter of the driven. You can find out which belt is for you off of the comet size chart. What do you mean that you've been lubricating your clutch btw, what sort of lube have you been using and where?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:40 PM

what is tav and tc...and ive been lubing the spring on the clutch and i lubed the torque converter at all the points required. found a chart online that showed me where to lube
Old 09-09-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike75925 View Post
the jerking is probably due to the spacing between the motor and driven. that or your belt is too worn. how worn are the weights/springs in the driver? you tighten the spring using the inner cam and outer cam. have the outer in place but not fully pushed in. leave enough room to allow the inner cam to rotate past the outer without hanging up on each other. you need the snap ring to keep the outer cam from backing off and loosing your tension. if it backs off far enough, you will go no where fast. the nut on the clutch shaft? do you mean the bolt which retains the driver on the crankshaft?
how can i tell how worn the weights are? i dont know what they looked like new
Old 09-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Kart Aficionado

I ask because 1/1000 people that tell me they've lubricated their clutch have actually done it correctly. What sort of lubrication are you using? I don't ask this to belittle you or try to find fault I'm asking so I can nail your problem down, the more information I can have on your problem including pictures the better I can find a solution.

The belt being worn can't make a kart jerk unless its worn from improper clutch care where its torn chunks out of the belt... this can cause a jerking motion.

Please post pictures.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:41 AM
thinker and tinkerer

it may merely be a coincidence, but if you have too much slack in the belt, the slack gathers and is eventually pulled out by the torque of the engine. which is a jerking sensation. the weights in the driver hanging up and suddenly deploying acts as a higher stall. this is possibly what is happening in mine. it lifts my front wheels off the ground.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:37 PM

Alright thanks for all the info guys....i got a snap ring on it today and cleaned it again i dont have any dry lube right now i have it on order but i just used wd 40 just to test it which i know you shouldnt because its a wet lube....but to no avail am having the same jerking motion....i am starting to think that my belt may be too loose due to the fact that i can slip it on and off without having to remove either of the pulleys. i am going to take the whole assembly to a power sports store near me tomorrow to see what they say and probably get a new belt too... i will take some pics before i disassemble it again

the funny thing is about it is when i have it up on jackstands and run it i dont see it or hear it making the jerking noise....only when its on the ground. Usually when it jerks i can see the belt going further down into the driven pully and sometimes the belt gets lodged way far down into the driven pully where the two peices come together
Old 09-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Measure twice cut once

send us some pics!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Kart Aficionado

You keep saying you are lubricating the clutch, but I fail to see how you've read anywhere to do so. There is one spot only where you can spray lube and it takes less than 1 second to do so and lasts months and months, its where the weight pack rides on the inside of the cover. I spent 25min yesterday with a file cleaning a dude's drive clutch who thought it was clean and had sprayed some sort of lube all over the thing, I'm guessing it was break free or something of the sort by the smell of it but all it had done is gathered more dirt, sand, belt fiber and made it harder for the hub to slide.

My last point is that WD-40 is not technically a lubricant, it can loosen rusty metal and stop squeaks due to its purpose, WD stands for Water Displacement, 40 is the number of times it took Norm Larsen to finalize his chemicals in the compound. It displaces whatever lubrication you had in the joint, dries out, and speeds rusting if you fail to use a real lubricant in its place.

Click HERE... have you cleaned your drive clutch to the point where the hub will slide straight through your clutch and into the palm of your hand when you drop it into place?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Measure twice cut once

look at this vid, http://www.reliablegokarts.com/transmission.htm
Closed Thread