Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Sideways

Default Buggy with a Polaris 440cc (Fuju EC44PQ)

I just got this buggy that has a late 70s Polaris 440cc, but it isn't getting spark. I think the engine model is a EC44PQ or EC44PM, but there aren't any good identifying marks to be found. It does have a CDI so it can't be that old. Polaris doesn't have the parts anymore, and told me to just look online. I've been trying to find a CDI but not having much luck since I have no part numbers to go off of, and just visuals.

Anyone here had experience with these engines who might be able to assist?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-2010, 12:16 PM
thinker and tinkerer

if you know what the engine came off of that could be a big help. try searching images of polaris 440's, maybe there will be a caption that helps identify what you have. http://www.snowmobileforum.com/vinta...my-timing.html found by searching 'polaris ec44pq'. hope it helps.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Sideways

I found a Polaris Electra at a local junk yard, and the engine looks identical. Has the same CDI and wiring, too, but I doubt the CDI works or else I'd buy it. Its engine stamp says EC44PQ.

I found a wiring diagram online that seems accurate, but it just shows a black wire going to the ignition switch, and mine has about 6 wires going to the key. I'm thinking my lack of spark might just be a problem in the switch, but I'm not sure how to go about hotwiring it.

By my research, these engines were also used on some small planes and hovercraft. I figured I'd ask you guys since many of you folk like to slap bike and snowmobile engines on buggies and carts.

I think in the future, rather than just finding used engines, I'm gonna try and find whole sleds to steal parts off of so I don't have to hunt around so **** much, ya know?
Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 PM
thinker and tinkerer

that's what most of us do. find a wrecked or otherwise messed up vehicle with good engine and start cannabalizing it. if in a junkyard, look for the obvious downfall. a hole in the block where a rod cut loose, no compression/siezed, etc. if it has the aforementioned blemishes, the electronics may be good. the black wire to the ignition switch is normally for killing/unkilling the engine. pathetic terms, but they work. the other wires are for lights, main power etc. cdi's are often expensive, and tempermental. if you hook up the wrong amount of power you can fry them pretty easily.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:37 PM

on ALOT of sleds, especially older ones you can bypass that by simply unplugging the wires from the back of the ignition switch. i have a polaris 440 that is i think a 84 that does it and my ski doo 900 which is also is like that. unfortunatly i have the same problem with my polaris and it isnt the key. try pulling starting it with the kill switch on and while the engine is running hit the kill switch and see if it sparks. when i do that it sparks once. at least on #1 cylinder. i never pulled #2 plug. i never really got any farther than that because a tree fell on it and bent the steering shaft 90 degrees so i quit.
Closed Thread