Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Electric Projects

Notices

Old 03-31-2020, 08:27 PM

Location: Originally: Nantucket, Ma (currently living in Silver Springs, FL)
Default New motor setup for my mini EV

Okay.....after a lot of research, l have decided to scrap my 2 Boma 48v 1800w motor setup, and go with a Motenergy ME1202 motor, set up at 72v, with either a Kelly, or Sevcon Gen 4 controller. I would have the one motor driving both rear wheels via a single shaft. This motor puts out a maximum of 60ft lbs. of torque, so l should get very quick acceleration, when the "urge" arises. I considered the Motenergy ME1114 motor, but think l am going with the ME1202, because it seems to be water resistant. It is however, meant to be mounted to a transaxle, so l will have to modify a golf cart input shaft, and do it that way. I of course will need to fabricate a wheelie bar to keep the front end down. I love quick acceleration, l also cruise around off road, ride in the forest, and want a top speed of 35 mph maximum. Do you think this motor will work for me?
https://www.electricmotorsport.com/m...-24-kw-pk.html
https://www.electricmotorsport.com/m...-24-kw-pk.html
Old 04-01-2020, 06:50 AM

Wow the budger quickly changed! Should go with whatever colin furze put on his trike that one time if you can do that. I think it was like 20 kw!
Old 04-01-2020, 08:54 AM

Lol, yes, he has some interesting things. My proposed set up has up to 24kw! Anyways, no, the budget actually didn't change, l am selling a few unneeded things that l am not using to get some extra funds. That way, it doesn't effect the budget (wife)...lol. l am not making the changes to the little EV yet, but when l do, l want to be impressed by it's performance, and not have to ask if l could have made it better/faster. So, what do you think, will this motor choice do it for me? Bye the way, both motors that l mentioned are exactly the same spec wise, just the enclosures, and shafts are different. The motor l am considering is shown in this video, and it seems to get up to speed rather quickly.
https://youtu.be/qziVaY_S97U
Old 04-01-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgt2u View Post
Lol, well this set up is up to 24kw! Anyways, no, the budget actually didn't change, l am selling a few unneeded things that l am not using to get some extra funds. That way, it doesn't effect the budget (wife)...lol. l am not making the changes to the little EV yet, but when l do, l want to be impressed by it's performance, and not have to ask if l could have made it better/faster. So, what do you think, will this motor choice do it for me? Bye the way, both motors that l mentioned are exactly the same spec wise, just the enclosures, and shafts are different. The motor l am considering is shown in this video, and it seems to get up to speed rather quickly.
https://youtu.be/qziVaY_S97U
I'm not qualified to even consider making a consideration. I missed the 24kw part, all I saw was 10kw continuous. Interesting. 35 lbs!! lol! Man these things should be fun!
Old 04-01-2020, 09:25 AM

Thank you for your honesty about qualification, l am not too knowledgeable on the elecrtic stuff but l am learning), that is why l am asking. Yes, the motor is rated at 10kw continuous, and 24kw max. I don't know if you veiwed the video or not, but that little go kart seems to get up and go pretty quickly. I figure it's weight isn't much different than my little EV, so theoretically, l should achieve the same approximate results. I know l am not going to achieve the kind of acceleration that some of my cars had, but l would enjoy some excitement if l'm in the mood!
Attached Thumbnails
1914320_1247877803264_2350393_n-1.jpg  
Old 04-01-2020, 09:35 AM

Ya I saw it and it moves. Not sure I understand what he's running on battery though even though he explained it in his comments. Some hybrid battery back, 1 on each side. He almost has a nice little racetrack on his property too.

Nice ride!
Old 04-01-2020, 09:53 AM

Thank you, for the compliment, those were the days! His battery packs are from a Chrysler Pacifica, and l am not familiar with them. I, at most would just have to up my batpacks ah capacity, if l don't get enough range per trip. I figure (once again...."l" figure), if l am easy on the throttle, most of the time, l should be okay. Sid hasn't chimed in yet, so it would be interesting to see what his view on all of this will be.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:40 PM

My gokart uses an ME1611 (200amp 96v version of me1012, special order likely made for Zero Motorcycles) and a battery from a Chrysler Pacfica. Kart weighs 400lbs including me and hits the top speed of 45mph very quickly. I'm only running 66v so that limits me to 12kw. Otherwise my motor is rated for 16kw cont, 42kw peak.

After choosing a controller you also need to choose a proper battery that can handle the current draw.