Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Old 09-13-2018, 05:08 PM
kayde's tinker toys

Default Montgomery ward t555

It happend again.
I REALLY didnt need another project but cl seems to be catering to my problem well.

Always wanted a trike like these. And been keepin a eye out for a heald trike to ride around an hang with my bronc but this is close enough.
I just could not resist grabbing it up as it looked to be in pretty decent condtion in the pics and the price was rite and even better after he excepted my first low ball offer.

I couldnt find any id on it anywhere so im just guessing its a t555.
Is there any id marks on these anywhere? I would like to know what year it was made.

I pulled and thought i thoughly cleaned the tank and walbro carb but once i got it fired up the 8 hp flattie was runnin rich and wouldn't idle at all.
It also revs up if i try too open the choke at all its acting sorta like the throttle.
Thinkin it has a intake air leak(gaskets) and possibly a blocked passage in the carb somewhere still.

Its missing the driver, belt and im guessing the guard.
Thinkin it has a 40 series symmetrical driven still on it.

I would like to order the belt and driver at the same time.
Anybody know which belt works best on these?

My short online search didnt find much info on these.
Attached Thumbnails
20180911_124459.jpg   20180911_124640.jpg  

20180911_124602.jpg   20180911_124518.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to kayde For This Useful Post:
landuse (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 01:36 AM

Thanked 3,479 Times in 2,837 Posts

Love them trikes
Old 09-14-2018, 06:56 AM

Pretty cool. That thing can't weigh much, bet it zips along good with that 8hp Briggs.

I think genuine Comet is the best belt brand.

Some good info here.

https://www.gokartsupply.com/mobile/4044seri.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Comet_40series_1.JPEG   Comet_40series_2.JPEG  

Comet_40series_3.JPEG   Comet_40series_4.JPEG  

The Following User Says Thank You to Randy H For This Useful Post:
bob58o (09-14-2018)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:04 AM
kayde's tinker toys

Figured i would check back in on here and give a update.

Throttle, cables,levers and new brake bands ready and waiting.
New bearings in the neck, and a pieced together from parts headlight.

Wheels an tires tore down for blasting, new tubes and front bearings waiting for install after blast & paint.

Rear axle out and tore down for refreshing. It all looks good except the diff bushings are just slightly wore. Not sure what to do about them yet.

I stole the toyed with governorless 11 hp ohv briggs from my ez rider build to power this tricycle.
I set up the jackshaft with new bearings and im gonna try out the 30 series tav2 before i jump to a 40 set up.

Oe 12x21-8 tires with 9 t gears from the tav to the jack shaft then a 10 t too the oe 54 t diff sprocket.
All new 420 chains waiting for sizing.

I failed math in all 12 grades an still graduated anybody give me a idea of calculated speeds im looking at?

How about any ideas on getting new bushings for the peerless 150 diff?
Are replacements available? or should i just have someone make me some if they are not available anywhere.

Few pics for kicks
Attached Thumbnails
20181231_122833.jpg   20181231_122816.jpg  

20181231_122729.jpg   20181228_140040.jpg  

20181231_122859.jpg  
Old 01-10-2019, 12:45 PM

According to Alex's (itsid) kart calculator, at the moment with the 30 series TC you have a high end of 4.86:1. With that you are going to burn up your belt. If I did your ratio properly. You said 9 to 9 to 10 to 54 correct? Anyway your top speed at the moment is 46mph. If you swap the ratio to 9-12-10-54 you'll have better torque, your ratio will be 7.2:1 and your top speed will be at 34mph.

I assumed a combined weight of 300lbs (150lb for driver and 150lb for the trike). Also assuming a 5hp engine with the governor intact so 3600 rpm and 21" tires.

Here's the calculator link, it only works on mobile devices so either a phone or tablet.

http://app.kartcalc.net/#home
Old 01-11-2019, 12:23 AM

Thanked 3,479 Times in 2,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartorbust View Post
According to Alex's (itsid) kart calculator, at the moment with the 30 series TC you have a high end of 4.86:1. With that you are going to burn up your belt. If I did your ratio properly. You said 9 to 9 to 10 to 54 correct? Anyway your top speed at the moment is 46mph. If you swap the ratio to 9-12-10-54 you'll have better torque, your ratio will be 7.2:1 and your top speed will be at 34mph.

I assumed a combined weight of 300lbs (150lb for driver and 150lb for the trike). Also assuming a 5hp engine with the governor intact so 3600 rpm and 21" tires.

Here's the calculator link, it only works on mobile devices so either a phone or tablet.

http://app.kartcalc.net/#home

Destroyed belts for sure with this ratio and tyre size. You are going to have to swap that 54T with something like a 72T
Old 01-11-2019, 11:18 AM
kayde's tinker toys

Kartorbust your correct with your calc many thank you's.

Im sure its irrelevant but i am gonna run a governerless 11 hp ohv briggs, other than that i guess im finding the correct gears to make thing work right.

Good thing is the set up i have now is just the stuff i already have laying around.

Would the 12t or a 72t be the better way to get where i need to be?
Old 01-11-2019, 11:36 AM

My opinion, it may be easier to get the 12 tooth. If that differential has a similar bolt pattern for the sprocket as the Peerless 100, those type are not the easiest to get a hold of. Not to say you couldn't make one fit by drilling new bolt holes in that pattern.

However with the new information about the engine being 11hp and ungoverned, your top speed with the 12 tooth is 50mph. Assuming a 5200 when the valves start to float (valve springs not strong enough to return them fast enough).
Old 01-12-2019, 12:25 AM
Canned Monster

If you go to a 40 series cvt set up you can leave your gear ratio alone. With that 11 hp you may find that a 30 series just won't hold the torque and you fry belts.

Denny
Old 01-14-2019, 12:29 PM
kayde's tinker toys

Since i been peiceing this together with what i already have i keep thinking on how much im pushing the 30 series with 11hp. And that it wont support anymore mods.

So yet another change coming to a 40 series.

Oh and from what i can tell the diff looks the same a a peerless 100 idk what the difference is between the peerless 100 and 150.
I finall got the wheel flange/brake drum sleeves off.
It still wasnt easy but haveing the axle out and clamped in the vise helped tremendously. It still took a hour an 20 mins to get one side off and 45 min for the side i didnt previously lube...go figure.

I did manage to bang up a brake drum when i didnt notice it bottoming out on the bench.
Im gonna try straightening it out we'll see how that goes but
I wouldnt have the slightest idea where to get a new hub like such besides making a new one.

Diff is all cleaned up now.
Still need info on getting new bushings for it and i havent searched for the bentonite grease anywhere local yet.

With our first snow im getting anxious to ride this.

Thank you fellas for all your awesome help so far.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:46 PM
kayde's tinker toys

First ride after the rebuild with the 11hp briggs and 40 series on.
All was going great until it felt like i couldnt twist the throttle open anymore.
Thats when i saw that the brand new chrome throttle housing broke.
I never could get it tight enough to where it wouldnt turn on the bars.

I will say on the road this thing operates very smoothly.
i did have a bit too much psi in the tires for offroading, but the dang throttle broke before i made it to the feilds anyway.

Still a buncha work i would like to do but that first ever ride was still exciting.
Attached Thumbnails
20190219_163622.jpg   20190219_163604.jpg  

20190219_165226.jpg  
Old 03-01-2019, 10:15 AM
kayde's tinker toys

So ive been able to put a few miles on the trike since ive got it together.

About a year ago i made a nice stepped manifold for the exhaust port.
I wasnt exactly sure what frame i was actually gonna use this engine on to be able too build and fit a exhaust for it.....until i found this trike.

After a few loud crackling rides i slipped the curved open pipe off and started making a exhaust with a homemade glass pack to quite it up a bit.
Now its sounds way better.
Still gotta make a frame mount for the muffler and finish welding it up.

I am really surprised how well the dual band brakes work. Even though they take a bit of squeezing they are quick ,smooth, very adjustable and stop on a dime.
Super stoked about that since i did bang up the one drum removing the hubs from the axle. I was a lil' a nil getting it true again though.

I do wish this briggs was a electric start, i would certainly have the electrical finished up if it was.

Never realized the po made the seat with real leather.
Thought it was just nice heavy vinyl.
So now I have it off too treat the leather really good.

I pulled my favorite neighborhood little buddy out of his warm house to go for a ride... and even after warming up he still had that petrified frozen smile.
Attached Thumbnails
20190225_132742.jpg   20190228_145327-1.jpg  

Old 03-02-2019, 06:47 AM
Jup, picture = me

Nice ride...
The Following User Says Thank You to andrecht For This Useful Post:
kayde (03-05-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 08:22 PM
Canned Monster

I'll bet the belt is holding up just fine.

Denny
Old 03-05-2019, 02:52 PM
kayde's tinker toys

Sure is so far, with the reputation these belts have i keep a eye on it. I dont see any wear on it yet. Perhaps thats cause the trike is reasonable light weight.
That reminds me too get the #'s off it so i can find a comet replacement before its too late.

So i finished up the exhaust and started making a wire harnes for it. Then i can fine tune the cable routing too run along with the harness.
I havent trimmed up the 100" long throttle cable yet till i do the harness, an i guess im gonna need another twist throttle since this one broke already. I have two other older 1" throttle housings i was hoping the tube would work in but there is minor differences.....thats usually my luck.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:09 PM

What did you end up using for clutches and ratios for this? I have a t-555 (and two trisports in various states of disrepair).

My T-555 had the 3 bolt flange welded together for some reason. it is supposed to be disassemblable to fit in a car trunk I think. Anyway, also interested int eh muffler setup you used.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:25 PM
kayde's tinker toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnoord View Post
What did you end up using for clutches and ratios for this? I have a t-555 (and two trisports in various states of disrepair).

My T-555 had the 3 bolt flange welded together for some reason. it is supposed to be disassemblable to fit in a car trunk I think. Anyway, also interested int eh muffler setup you used.

My 3 bolt flange isnt welded at all but i think the bolts have been replaced as they are grade 8.
Dismantling the flange too try too stuff it into a car sounds like a royal pita, i would surely kink cables or pull wires.
I load mine into the truck myself since its not that heavy.

No clutch, i put a 40 series cvt on it.

Gearing is all the original stuff, a 9t sproket off the jack shaft too the 54t axle sprocket .

The exhaust is 1 3/8" scrap pipe.
Its entirly open all the way through, a very short section of straight has about 100 cross drilled holes through it and wrapped in fiberglass mat then a peice of 2 1/4 pipe slid over and each end capped off and a short turn down for a tail pipe.
I also made a mount for the muffler that bolts too one of the unused engine slots.

I ran the trike for a while with just a short header on it and i can tell no difference except the noise.
I couldnt be happer with the performance of the exhaust its quite when your not on it and loud if you are, and it sounds great.
one day ill finish it. I have a shiny sheet too wrap the muffler with and exhaust wrap too install.