Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Announcements & Suggestions > Introduce Yourself!

Notices

Old 12-18-2019, 09:55 PM

Default New GoKart owner

Greetings from NOVA - my son saved up and bought an old Manco 104d-07 Interceptor with a Predator 212cc HEMI motor. Weíre working on fixing it up together. There are a few things i want to fix and address before he hits the yard...

Installed a kill switch

Removed, repaired and re-wrapped seat

Throttle return issue - I think I just need to replace the return spring... havenít had time to assess but may have more questions on this. Somethings going on with the linkage/return.

Iím sure Iíll have more questions but just wanted to introduce myself. Here are some pictures of my sons kart.
Attached Thumbnails
C9EE3A2C-B598-407B-AE9A-4E332B508A53.jpg   89CA9635-4B7B-4EA1-B0AB-1EC9A9CC62ED.jpg  

ECF0CAE0-839C-4E16-A0C0-CA51F0F26B53.jpg   9F57EC59-7432-403F-A8EE-CB3B6DCA0B0D.jpg  

Old 12-18-2019, 10:10 PM
Road Hazard

First off, if those are harbor freight wheels, get rid of them. They don’t hold up at all. The bearings are junk, the tires fall apart, and the rims are cheap metal. I had a kart flip on me once because one of those wheels had a blowout. And could you be a bit more specific about the throttle problem?

I’d say you've got a real nice kart. Everything’s there and it’s in good condition.
xmmxGcart (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 01:31 AM

Thanked 4,593 Times in 3,467 Posts

Welcome!

Most importantly: get rid of the belt immediately!
it's far safer to get thrown off a rolling kart w/o rollbar than to be strapped to one!
And especially with HF wheels.. just see above
No cage = no belt; no exceptions!
Alternatively you can reinstall the original cage the kart came with, if it stille exists that is.
Otherwise every minute on the kart is quite literally theatening your sons neck.

you need two throttle return springs usually..
one on the pedal and one on the engine..

So disconnect the cable from the pedal first and see if it has a nice positive snap back w/o the cable being connected.
And fix that first if not.
Then take care about the engine side in a similar way..
if both have a nice snappy return,
all that's left to do in case it's still sticky with the cable connected
is to take care the cable runs as straight as possible (no sharp bends, no kinks)
and is properly lubricated (if you don't have ptfe lined sleeves)

And once more:
never ever use HF wheels! (or any hardwarestore really... )
buy proper go kart wheels instead
if you want steel.. get Azusawheels for example
http://azusaeng.com/product/4-multi-...-steel-wheels/
Nylons look great and hold up against quite alot of abuse as well
http://azusaeng.com/product/4-azusalite-wheels/

you can find proper kart wheels on mfgsupply, gopowersports, ombwarehouse, bmi or any kartshop alike.

'sid

PS reference parts manual for your son's kart:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 104_operatorsmanual_released20040204.pdf (436.5 KB, 2 views)
Karte Diem (04-06-2020)
Old 12-19-2019, 07:09 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

with everything these guys said. Ditch the Harbor Freight wheels and tires, as well as the seatbelt.
Each alone is plenty dangerous, but combined it's a recipe for disaster.
It really is safer to get thrown from an uncaged kart than stay strapped in. In this situation, a seatbelt gives you a false sense of security.
It just takes a bit of getting used to to get in and just drive without buckling in, you'll get it.

That's crazy! There's the same model kart on the local Craigslist! Manco Interceptor. They're asking $120 for an engineless basket case, but oh well, I already have too many projects. It even has a similar yellow wheel!
Old 12-19-2019, 08:04 AM

Appreciate the feedback guys! Of course, making this cart as safe as possible is most important to me ... with that said we plan to replace the wheels and tires. When I removed the seat for repair I also removed the belt and I don't plan on putting it back on, I may also consider purchasing the roll bars if I'm able to find the parts.

I plan on removing the air box and working on the cart this afternoon and and will try to take more pics of the throttle setup and perform the test itsid suggested. From what I can tell the pedal seems to have good snap, but the engine throttle lever isn't snapping all the way back, when I test drove it, there were times that if I let off the throttle pedal there was still power pulling through to the wheels... Maybe the throttle cable setup issue??

The guy we bought it from said that it had been sitting for a while, so far its been starting up on the first or second pull but yesterday I started it up to let it run a a while and when I moved the lever from the Choke (Start) position to anywhere in the Run position, the engine wanted to stop... carb issue, spark plug issue? any thoughts or recommendations?
The Following User Says Thank You to xmmxGcart For This Useful Post:
JTSpeedDemon (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 08:30 AM
Road Hazard

It’s got carb issues. Pull it apart and clean most of the junk out of the bowl, then soak it in carb cleaner (the kind that comes in a 1 gallon paint can) for a day or two. Might need a rebuild, BMI karts self a complete rebuild kit for $8 and some change plus shipping.
xmmxGcart (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 08:52 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

By the way, your starter rope is facing forward. You can unbolt it and turn it to where you like it best. Just a few bolts to loosen.

Looking at your pictures again, the engine looks wet. Try to keep it dry as much as possible, water bonds to the ethanol(essentially corn alcohol) in the gas, causing it to run like crap. That could be part of the problem, but also do what JS said and clean the carburetor nice and thoroughly.

It's pretty cool that the decals are still intact!

Last edited by itsid; 12-19-2019 at 11:06 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JTSpeedDemon For This Useful Post:
xmmxGcart (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 10:37 AM

Go go kart aby performance plans for it?
Old 12-19-2019, 11:42 AM

Thanks! Yea I think I will try that first (carb cleaning)... My son does want to paint it, but I like how it has the original decals... if we do I'll be sure to tape the original badges and decals so as not to paint over them...

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

those are the pics from the previous owner, I've had it stored in my garage which is heated and will make sure it doesn't get wet again... So far we're thinking or doing the Stage 1 Predator upgrade but for now, no other plans. We want to get it running well as is, before we make any other upgrades.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

submerge it in the carb cleaner with the pan removed but the rest assembled?
The Following User Says Thank You to xmmxGcart For This Useful Post:
JTSpeedDemon (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmmxGcart View Post
Thanks! Yea I think I will try that first (carb cleaning)... My son does want to paint it, but I like how it has the original decals... if we do I'll be sure to tape the original badges and decals so as not to paint over them...

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

those are the pics from the previous owner, I've had it stored in my garage which is heated and will make sure it doesn't get wet again... So far we're thinking or doing the Stage 1 Predator upgrade but for now, no other plans. We want to get it running well as is, before we make any other upgrades.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

submerge it in the carb cleaner with the pan removed but the rest assembled?
I would take it apart and soak the parts in carb cleaner or something
Old 12-19-2019, 12:35 PM
2019 Build Off Winner!

Go to the local automotive store(Autozone, O 'Reilly's, Advance, Pep Boys...), and get a few cans of spray carburetor cleaner. Electrical parts cleaner also works well. If you leave plastic or rubber parts soaking in carburetor cleaner, bad things will happen, and spray cleaner has worked very well for me.
xmmxGcart (12-19-2019)
Old 03-22-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmmxGcart View Post
Greetings from NOVA - my son saved up and bought an old Manco 104d-07 Interceptor with a Predator 212cc HEMI motor. Weíre working on fixing it up together. There are a few things i want to fix and address before he hits the yard...

Installed a kill switch

Removed, repaired and re-wrapped seat

Throttle return issue - I think I just need to replace the return spring... havenít had time to assess but may have more questions on this. Somethings going on with the linkage/return.

Iím sure Iíll have more questions but just wanted to introduce myself. Here are some pictures of my sons kart.
Hello, I know this is a bit of an old post.

But, do you happen to know what gear ratio you are running in this?

I got this exact kart for my 10 y/o and wanting to swap out the 4 HP stock motor for a 212. Trying to find a "build sheet" and I am not having much luck.

This is my first attempt at building something this small so it's foreign to me and I do not want to end up buying a lot of excess stuff I do not need.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:36 PM
Aka a kenbar

Yea how many teeth are on the sprocket my sprockets teeth where sheered off
Old 03-23-2020, 08:13 AM

Default Ratio

Iíve attached some pics of my setup.

The large one is 36
Attached Thumbnails
2F96372F-AD5C-4C19-9D76-785EFB1B7D5F.jpg   A943E3B9-AA45-44C0-B716-E6F90DD10460.jpg  

A808CBC7-D607-4059-AD78-9142CEB13ADA.jpg   8F76FA1F-D3EC-4E75-860A-10C55BB7B237.jpg