Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 11:12 AM

Default Modifying a Green Machine into a Kart

My wife decided it would be fun for my son and I to build a go kart using some plans she dug up on the interwebz.

Having no previous kart-building experience, I took the design at face value, as it was a full set of schematics and a complete parts list.

However, the measurements and some other stuff indicated this might be a European design, and therefore, I can't get the precise parts he described. First was the use of pipe as a bushing for the rear axle, and I couldn't find anything, axle or pipe, that were a close enough fit for this. It also seemed like a bad idea all around to use an unsealed pipe as your bushing, as it could overheat and bad things would happen.

So, I scrapping that design overall and looking to re-engineer a Green Machine that my son has. I'm comfortable with the frame design, but I'm not at all sure how to handle the rear axle and wheels. I'm looking for an inexpensive live axle solution for this entry-level kart. I'm sourcing parts on gopower and BMI, and it's way more expensive than I am willing to commit. I was looking for keyed-hub wheels for a simple solution on the axle, and I'm fine with axle hangers and bearings - cost worth the expense.

I'm looking at a Predator from Harbor Freight (sale this weekend), and have a clutch to fit. Is there any way to make this all come together in a safe manner? I'm willing to wait to look for used parts, but I'm not clear on the terminology (even after several hours of researching just that aspect) of all the parts. An axle kit from gopower is over $200. That seems CRAZY to me. Are my expectations just way off?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
20171111_133421.jpg   IMG_20171112_130215.jpg  

Old 11-12-2017, 04:58 PM
SPP_MN

Start with a roller kart. Better start then what you have.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Inmate #952016

I agree. You don't have much to start with there. Not a huge problem if you have fabrication skills. Your best and easiest and quickest bet would be to find a kart of some sorts.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:31 PM

Thanked 3,565 Times in 2,909 Posts

I unfortunately have to agree with these guys. I think what you have to work with at the moment will probably take a lot of fabrication skills and a lot of time to get it all right. If this is your forst kart rodeo, or first time really fabricating things, then i would try look for a frame on CL rather and go from there

Welcome to the forum though, and ask as many questions as you like. There are no stupid questions. Even if you want to continue with this route, i am sure we can help you through it
Old 11-13-2017, 05:55 AM

Default Sage wisdom

Thanks guys. I think I'll do just that.
Closed Thread