Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 01:52 PM

Default New Tires

So I just received my new wheels and tires for my go kart. Problem is that when I installed them the rim rubs against the spindle control arm. If I install a small spacer just enough to get the wheel of the control arm then I only have a few turns left on the thread to put the lug nut on. My biggest concerns are the lug nuts falling off while riding. Recommendations and advice? Thanks.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:22 PM
SPP_MN

Our local hardware store sells thin lock nuts when there’s not many threads left so try a hardware store near you.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:04 PM

Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,500 Posts

What's the kart?
Pics??
Old 11-03-2017, 04:57 PM

Thin lock nuts and some blue loctite threadlocker.

The blue threadlocker is still removable with a wrench, while the red usually needs a really really big wrench and/or heat.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:39 PM

You need enough threads protruding to at least equal the width of a full size nut. A thin lock nut would be used in addition to a full size nut.

You are probably going to have to modify something. Longer spindles?

As always, pics will be helpful.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:45 PM
Banned

Old 11-03-2017, 10:26 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,676 Posts

You didn't check the offset, did you?
Old 11-04-2017, 08:22 AM

Thanked 1,165 Times in 963 Posts

Did you already try instaling the rims the opposite direction with the valve stems facing in?
(if the centers of your rims are offset, you might achieve more spindle clearance that way...)
The Following User Says Thank You to anderkart For This Useful Post:
Ebrownie (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 01:25 PM

I would assume that your steering arms point forward, but if they point rearward (towards the back of your kart) you could bend them in or cut and reweld in some way so that they point in and don't hit the wheel.. This would give you more Ackermann, which is good. However, if your arms point forward this is bad advice because that would give you reverse Ackermann.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:08 PM

Great advice across the board. Much appreciated. I will start with the simplest steps first and escalate as required until the issue is resolved. First I'll try and flip the tires so the valve stems are facing in-board and see if that helps. If not I'll track down the then locknuts with some thread locker, so and so forth. I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow once I'm out in the garage.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:59 PM

So I was able to get the job done. Not to my desired end state but it works none the less. For spacers I used the old bearings as well as a couple of washers to keep the rim off the spindle control arm. I wasn't successful at locating a thinner nut either so I went with the thread lock everything mounted up and seems to be holding so that's a win.

Can anyone advise on how to properly measure the offset of the hub so I don't run into the same situation again? I just started the tear down on my sons cart today and wheels and tires are on the to get list. I want larger tires in the rear and smaller in the front. Thanks.

The attached photos is going to be my sons kart.
Attached Thumbnails
20171106_094008.jpg   20171106_094032.jpg  

20171106_094021.jpg  
Old 11-06-2017, 10:13 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmsjeremy View Post
I wasn't successful at locating a thinner nut either so I went with the thread lock everything mounted up and seems to be holding so that's a win.

Can anyone advise on how to properly measure the offset of the hub so I don't run into the same situation again? I just started the tear down on my sons cart today and wheels and tires are on the to get list. I want larger tires in the rear and smaller in the front. Thanks.

The attached photos is going to be my sons kart.
If your axle rods don't poke out of your axle nuts, or are not flush with the outside edge of the nut, then I'm not inclined to call it a win.

I'm not sure what wheels and tires you bought but it is always in one's best interest to get a second opinion before pulling the lever on a purchase. Show us what you got and what you want while you're still shopping, is my advice.

Where did you buy the wheels and tires from? If they had no complete specifications like hub width and offset, that's a sign to pass.

You gotta know how much spindle room you're dealing with along with the length of the prospective wheel's hub first of all. Those are the major prerequisites.

EDIT--Most go karts use an inner axle spacer to prevent rubbing and to provide a more refined surface for the wheel's bearing to rest upon. The trick is, to retain some similar spacing with the new wheels on the inner end AND enough threads remaining on the outer end, in order to affix your axle nuts.

Gotta keep it copacetic.