Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Announcements & Suggestions > Introduce Yourself!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:41 PM

Default New guy from Delaware

Hey, I ran across this site trying to find the idle screw on my HF 6.5, and because of the help (and the good attitude of the people on here as compared to the other 99% of the internet) decided to sign up. I've had the engine for a good year now, meaning to do something with it, and I've just now started my project... I slapped the centrifugal clutch on it and it started engaging (lightly, but still engaging) at idle. It's all set now though, and I actually need to use the choke to let it warm up for a few seconds (as opposed to yesterday when it flooded within 5 seconds of cold starting in 17 degree weather).

I plan on using the engine (and half of an old bmx bike, plus some steel and a few odds and ends) to make a powered drift trike... I've already made an unpowered one, so I figure I've got the concept down... just need to get my hands on a bowden cable (I'm keeping the front brake of the bike, using the rear brake for a throttle, and the old cable won't reach far enough). I'm also going for a top speed of around 40-ish (Delaware is nearly dead flat, so no need to worry about hills ruining my clutch with a high speed setup... just my own weight and ignorance )

Anyways, I though I'd post something so I'm not just lurking around, and I suppose I'll be posting a few pictures and/or a video once I'm done. But for now, I'm off to put some holes in some wheels and shaft collars to bolt them together.

EDIT: Sorry, I lied... I noticed the wheels have a metal sleeve on the inside, so I've decided to just weld the whole thing together
Old 01-25-2011, 08:13 PM

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,693 Posts

Howdy, and welcome! I'm definitely going to want to see pics!
UN-powered drift trike? How does that work?
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 01-26-2011, 06:22 PM

Normally hills, but around here, more often pushing or towing by various means.

or sometimes attaching a lot of solid fuel rocket engines.
Closed Thread