Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 10-31-2019, 07:31 AM

Default ISO small transmission ideas

Designing a small cart (similar to mini/dwarf/midget sprint cars) for the fun of it. May never make it off of the computer screen. I've been basing the design on a 4cyl 4 stroke jet ski motor my friend gave me.

I'm having trouble coming up with an elegant way to do the transmission.

Right now, I have a shaft from the motor going to a rear mounted CVT/gearbox (with rev)/ATV diff. I don't really like how it's come together. A multi speed transmission from a 1L car would be great but I'm having trouble finding one.

Surely something exists that weights 30-50 lbs and has at least 3 fwd gears and 1 reverse. I need to check on the Suzuki jimny again.

Has anyone seen something that'd fit the bill? I can make adapters and whatnot.

All the best,

Jim
Cheap Bastard Garage

Jim in Florida

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

I think the Jimny and samurai transmissions are about the same. Internet said samurai trans weighs 62lbs.

Jimny trans in the picture. It's gotta be overkill but getting close. A solid plan B at worst.

Jim in Florida
Old 10-31-2019, 07:45 AM

Is reverse a must? A divorced trans for a Harley type motorcycle might work.

Honda goldwing too, and they're shaft drive out, designed for a longitudinally mounted engine.

Personally, I'd probably ditch the jet ski engine and just get a shaft drive motorcycle setup. Honda CB700 for example. In this instance, (as with most go karts) buying a more suitable engine will be cheaperr than trying to build around something you got for free.
slowJEEP (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 08:18 AM

https://youtu.be/pQqILYoHA18

This trans seems plausible. Can get them from Japan.

I agree on finding a different motor. Unless I can figure out a reason this setup is better than a sportbike/chaindrive/live axle, I'll can it. I have in my head that there's something this motor must be better at than the aforementioned setup.

I have a disproportionately large amount of time to think/draw vs wrench. I'm gonna keep working this idea to see if I can turn it into something worth while.

Thanks for the input.

Jim in Florida
Old 10-31-2019, 08:29 AM

I don't know about your area, but jimnys and samurai/sidekick/trackers are getting rarer, and I know first hand, I've sold salvage parts for trackers and sidekicks for almost 10 years now, and I have zero transmissions for sale. They are fairly lightweight, but very long and most have a t-case for 4x4. I would look more into a quad with reverse or dirtbike ect if reverse is not important.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smerft85 For This Useful Post:
slowJEEP (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 08:58 AM

Take a 4 wheeler engine that is shaft out put would be the easy route although maybe expensive.

Or a dirt / motorcycle engine turned 90 so you can run a chain to a drive shaft down to the rear diff which might have to be flipped upside down.

I have thought of a lot of ideas for my awd kart, so just helping to keep the idea alive!
The Following User Says Thank You to Deadbeef For This Useful Post:
slowJEEP (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 11:12 AM

Thanks for sticking with me on this thought exercise. Here's the Jimny trans in lieu of the previous drivetrain. It looks a lot better.

The wave runner motors are cool bc they are meant to get wet, designed to maintain high rpm for extended periods, are tough/reliable and everywhere in my area.

Not pleased with how far forward the CG looks to fall, maybe I can coax it rearward.

Quick look shows a Jimny trans can be had for around $800 after shipping from Japan. Not cheap but not a show stopper of everything else pans out.

Until next time,

Jim
Cheap Bastard Garage

Jim in Florida