Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > More Builds

Notices

Old 05-25-2020, 03:34 PM

Default would this work?

hey guys I was wondering if a Kohler 14hp 1960 engine would work well and be reliable for a log slitter? also it has no spark. i took off the flywheel and there was no points and condenser??? do these kohler engine have points? thanks.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:28 AM

The points are camshaft driven and mounted on the side of the engine block. Look around on the carburetor side of the engine. There should be an aluminum rectangle cover over them. Also it should have an automotive style coil. Trace the wire from the coil to the points.
I don't believe this would be a very good go kart engine. They are made of cast iron and very heavy. On the other hand, garden tractor pullers have been using them for years and there are quite a few aftermarket performance parts available for these engines. I've rebuilt a few and they are simple, durable engines, they just weigh a lot more then modern small engines.
The Following User Says Thank You to vpd66 For This Useful Post:
Karts of Kaos (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 08:01 AM

Shoot, get it cleaned up and running good and sell it. Those old K series Kohlers fetch some decent money in the garden tractor world. A lot of people have an issue with putting newer engines on vintage steel.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anickode View Post
Shoot, get it cleaned up and running good and sell it. Those old K series Kohlers fetch some decent money in the garden tractor world. A lot of people have an issue with putting newer engines on vintage steel.
True! I got one in trade years ago that had a tapered output shaft. The guy I got it from said it came off a welder/generator. I did some research and found that Lincoln welders used that engine and the crankshaft was no longer available. I listed it on Craigslist for $300 and a guy drove 250 miles and bought it without even haggling.
The Following User Says Thank You to vpd66 For This Useful Post:
mckutzy (05-26-2020)