Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Photo Gallery & Project Log

Notices

Old 09-24-2014, 08:05 AM
Just kartin' around....

Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,105 Posts

Yeah Sid, you gave me the idea,and after taking some measurements, I realized that it would work.....
It leaves a short swing arm, but I only wanted enough to take out the big bumps.... This should work great.....
Old 09-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Just kartin' around....

Is a 1/2" grade 8 bolt good/big enough to use for the pivots? I was going to order some rod ends but started to question whether I should use 5/8" or even a 3/4" rod end....? Swing arm, from pivot to center of axle is only about 9", so no super huge lateral forces...... What is the general consensus here? 5/8"? 1/2"? Or 3/4"??
Old 09-24-2014, 05:49 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,955 Times in 2,300 Posts

Well. ...as I alluded to in another thread. ...when you capture both ends of a bolt. ..it's load carrying capacity is easily quadrupled. ....

So I bet You could drop it off a 5 story building. ...and the 5/8" bolts would be one of the few things still relatively straight....just my two non cents. ....
The Following User Says Thank You to Poboy kartman For This Useful Post:
firemanjim (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 07:29 PM
Just kartin' around....

Yeah, gonna use a 5/8"..... now work on the chassis tonight. My neighbor had heart surgery Monday and won't be home till friday, so I did up his yard for him. It's been so long that his yard has been "did" , I didn't know he had a brick flower bed around his yard lamp. I wonder if he knows? He will now.... Pulled out all the weeds and cleaned it up. Gonna see if I can pick up some cheap flowers to plant in it, before he gets home. He might like that.....
I had a long day today. Gonna call it a night , early..... I'll work on the kart tomorrow. Tonight I think I'll just get a list ready of stuff to order..... I'll post more tomorrow.....
Old 09-24-2014, 07:47 PM

Being that the engine is the lowest spot of the frame, aren't you concerned about it scraping? I guess you would need a skidplate?
Old 09-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjim View Post
Yeah, gonna use a 5/8"..... now work on the chassis tonight. My neighbor had heart surgery Monday and won't be home till friday, so I did up his yard for him. It's been so long that his yard has been "did" , I didn't know he had a brick flower bed around his yard lamp. I wonder if he knows? He will now.... Pulled out all the weeds and cleaned it up. Gonna see if I can pick up some cheap flowers to plant in it, before he gets home. He might like that.....
I had a long day today. Gonna call it a night , early..... I'll work on the kart tomorrow. Tonight I think I'll just get a list ready of stuff to order..... I'll post more tomorrow.....
U.mmmm......yeah. ...I know. ....you're thinking. ....maybe if he sees it nice....it may motivate him to take a little pride....and continue on.......

Good luck. .....it can't hurt....and you won't have to look at the neglect until it grows back. ....but. ...the one thing I share in common with those folks is the outcome of subtle suggestion for them.....and the Lottery for me......neither one of us will ever get it. ......
Old 09-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Just kartin' around....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young One With A Manco View Post
Being that the engine is the lowest spot of the frame, aren't you concerned about it scraping? I guess you would need a skidplate?
Sam, I'm gonna run 18" tall scooter tires in the front on 3" wide steel wheels. The back is either gonna be 15" or maybe go as high as 17".... (I just think the back should be a tad shorter to look right.... ) The rear will also be lifted about 1.5" above level, because I'm using the fattest tire I can squeeze in there. The engine sits about 4" below the frame, and will have the OEM skid plate incorporated into the set up. With the tire sizes alone, I should have a 5" ground clearance or more. That SHOULD be plenty for this type street kart. At any rate, the engine will be protected by a cage of its own....
Doug, the man NEVER comes outside during the day unless he is leaving. He says it's hot. He tries to cut his grass with an electric weed eater, at night..... His yard don't look bad or anything, I just thought I'd be nice and give his yard a little make over....
Old 09-24-2014, 09:46 PM
Banned

Hmmmmm.....I think I'd be sleeping with one of those snake leggings around my neck if I were you. .....He doesn't live with Gomez, Morticia, Pugsley, Wednesday, Lurch and thing does he? ????
Old 09-24-2014, 11:23 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Yeah, gonna use a 5/8"..... ..
My Machinery Handbook is in the basement, but a quick scan online shows the shear strength of a grade 8 3/4" bolt as being somewhere in the 90,000 psi range for hard single shear, and well north of 155,000 psi in proper double shear loading.

I'm guessing that 5/8", used correctly, should be adequate for your kart.....
Old 09-25-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Sam, I'm gonna run 18" tall scooter tires in the front on 3" wide steel wheels. The back is either gonna be 15" or maybe go as high as 17".... (I just think the back should be a tad shorter to look right.... ) The rear will also be lifted about 1.5" above level, because I'm using the fattest tire I can squeeze in there. The engine sits about 4" below the frame, and will have the OEM skid plate incorporated into the set up. With the tire sizes alone, I should have a 5" ground clearance or more. That SHOULD be plenty for this type street kart. At any rate, the engine will be protected by a cage of its own....
Oh yeah... You've thought this out. Nothing to worry about there!
Old 09-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Just kartin' around....

Quote:
Oh yeah... You've thought this out. Nothing to worry about there!
It's ALL I've been thinking about. This kart is kind of going to be the test mule for my future endeavor.... I want to make sure I'm covering everything.....
Old 09-25-2014, 01:43 PM

I'm sooo jealous haha
Old 09-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Just kartin' around....

Quote:
I'm sooo jealous haha
Production might start next year....... I'm hoping. Trying to get all my ducks in a row, but I think I got a couple of Doug's...... I'm in no huge rush to spend a lot of money and pray I get some back......
Old 09-25-2014, 02:13 PM

Haha. I know i'll never be able to buy one even if they are cheap, because i dont spend much on karts... But yeah...
Old 09-25-2014, 02:19 PM
American Minibikes @ FB

Jim,
I can't wait to see this thing going!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:49 PM
Just kartin' around....

Me too, Nick. I'm fixing to order the front wheels, 10"x3" steel wheels. Then, some scooter tires, 17.5" tall 3.5" wide... The rear,I'm still waiting on the dealer to email me back. Trying to get a matching set to the fronts, but 8" wide.
I don't want to even start on the front till I get more parts. Like the axle and spindle brackets. The spindles I'm making out of 4145 bar stock and 1" trailer spindles. Gonna machine the stock to accept bearings top and bottom. Then drill the hole at a 12* to locate the spindle. The through hole will be 3/4". I might end up have to make my own brackets. I haven't really looked into the brackets and the different sizes yet. Guess now is a good time....
Old 09-26-2014, 11:18 AM

Good plan!

Hehe he said I'm fixing instead of I'm planning
Old 09-26-2014, 02:33 PM
Just kartin' around....

Quote:
Good plan!

Hehe he said I'm fixing instead of I'm planning
That should read with slang.... I'm fixin to order.... As in, I'm about to order the parts.
Speaking of which... I got one response today about tires I inquired about. They said, and I quote...... With that kind of horse power, you will shred these tires. They're only designed with 5-8horse power tops. 1 good burn out would eat these tires up.... Sorry we couldn't help you....
still looking for back tires. Found some 20" slicks! . At 8" wide........ Hhmmmmmmmm
Old 09-26-2014, 05:44 PM

20" slicks???? Well... If it's $100 for a set of four 6" tires i can't imagine those are cheap!
About the slang; yeah... I know it's slang, I go to SC every summer, been to Arizona a couple times... I've been around the south a good amount...... I still think your accents are funny!
Old 09-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Just kartin' around....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x3-4-4-Min...item3ca1dd82ee
So I'm gonna order 2 of those..... And..... http://www.surpluscenter.com/Wheels/...OLT-1-1133.axd
2 of those hubs that will ride on the 1"spindle axle in the little box on the right of that page.
Because I'm using the skinny tires up front, I was thinking of putting the spindle @ 12* camber and 10* (positive) caster. Does this sound good? Or would the camber be better at like 7* or 10*. I've never added either time a kart, so I don't want to screw up the first time . I figured with the skinnies up front, 12* camber would really help them get a grip in a turn, but 12* kind of sounds like a lot to me..... And wouldn't that much camber help achieve greater caster, in a turn?
IDK where do you guys stand on the subject? Looking for the "pros" on this one.... (the guys that actually race/used to race... Ect) I can guess all day, but if you have real experience with this subject ,please chime in! I'm all ears. This kart should do an easy 60+mph. I want to make sure its stable at 70+mph......