Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Electric Projects

Notices

Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

Not to rain on your parade.... but you should have put spacers under all 4 bolts not just on one side (sprocket side). Now how’s your chain alignment top/bottom front sprocket? If it’s not very near perfect you’ll eat through chains quickly if not throw chains very often.

Maybe it’s close enough but it looks like u raised it about 3/8 inch, the front sprocket must have a bad angle (not aligned to the rear)?

Just trying to help
Shep
Old Today, 07:11 AM

Yeah Shep, you're right. I did actually have equal spacing on all four bolts when I tightened down the chain. The resulting damage to the motor mounts was a bending of the motor in to the mounting plate.

If you look at the first picture, you can see the motor is angled down towards the drive which is a result of the motor mounts collapsing.

So, to compensate for that, I had to re-mount spacing only the bolts closest to the drive sprocket. This seemed to work ok, but I have a feeling it won't last long. I think the long term fix is either a different mounting bracket (not sure if one is available for these BOMA motors, but if anyone knows of an L-shaped mount...send it my way) or a new motor since I don't think I can really bend the mounts back in to the factor position.