Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > Off Topic Forum

Notices

Old 08-04-2019, 10:10 PM

I can't find information if the train has an automated oiling/greasing system on it. To me, these have style to them. Similarly to classic cars. Older stuff just had that craftsman hardworking feel that newer stuff just doesn't have. I've only had the opportunity once to ride on a steam locomotive up in Duluth, MN when I was a youngster. It was for a few hours during breakfast and lunch. My parents took me and we rode on it. Quite the experience I must say.

There's just something about old iron that speaks to me. Its interesting that Union Pacific had a 5 year restoration plan for it, but they pulled it off in just 2 and a half years with just 9 guys. Most of the engine is original, but a good portion was rebuilt. In one video I saw, they said they waited almost 2 years for some parts to be built and delivered.

People for years said it's too complex to restore one, they proved them all wrong. It's a working piece of art and history. I'm hoping it makes more rounds over the coming years. Maybe an occasional cross country trip with passenger cars behind it for a ride along tour. Its final destination is Cheyenne, Wyoming.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:25 PM

Purchased this book a couple days ago from Amazon, was expecting it to be a bit thicker in content. However, since I never took an engineering class in college (thankfully it wasn't a requirement for being a welder), I figured it would give me some insight into designing, whatever I end up fully building.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:37 PM

Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,465 Posts

Interesting...
Here that Book is $33 on the amazon..
Good deal.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Functional Artist View Post
I tow a lot of FCA vehicles (for various reason)

I got a question for ya: (maybe you can find out for me)

I have run into issues when towing some of the newer Dodge/Chrysler vehicles.
The ones with the rotary transmission selector.

If the vehicle is not running & you shift it into neutral (to roll it onto the flat bed) it shifts itself back into park, automatically (everytime)
…& they don't have a "mechanical" lever on the side anymore
(that you can just disconnect & manually shift the trans into neutral)
...they are totally electronic, now

Is there some kinda "towing bypass" switch or procedure?
...to move one of these type vehicles, when they don't run?
Got another question for ya

The other day I towed a 2018 Jeep Cherokee, it was wrecked with both right doors torn off (lucky for me, it still ran & shifted into neutral)
...but, lookin' around, I could not find a shift release on it.

When ya get a minute could ya look into that for me?

* Speakin' of Jeeps, we (Toledo) had a Jeep Fest over the weekend.

There were thousands of Jeeps here in Toledo.
I even saw one that drove on/had treads, instead of wheels
I didn't take camera (duh)
...but, my wife took this kool pic on her phone for me
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Fest 2019.jpg  
Old 08-13-2019, 07:16 AM

A quick look and This is what I found....

Functional Artist (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 07:18 AM

I will have to double check, fortunately we did just get quite a few new model Cherokees in the other day. Should be similar. I'm not sure if they do have that disconnect, seeing as they still have the lever style gear selector and not a rotary.
Functional Artist (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 09:32 AM

I guess that way does work lol. Probably for times you don't have the keys or you cannot get the vehicle in to neutral with the shifter. This is something that we have not been told was possible.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:49 AM

So in case anyone in the state of Nebraska is building a mini buggy/UTV, there is an affidavit for Assembled vehicles for ATV, Minibike, UTV or Minitruck. Figured I'd pass this info on.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:51 AM
Sick, Tired, and in Debt

Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,740 Posts

It’s “does” not “dose”.
It’s “non” not “none”.
A fine thread 5/16” diameter bolt is the same thing as a 5/16”-24 TPI bolt.
Grown men should not drink White Claw.

I can’t deal with all the stupid people on FB today.

I miss the good ole days when there were only two genders, people could spell, and a group of grown men would never order a bucket of canned wine spritzers at a bar.
ezcome-ezgo (09-13-2019), Kartorbust (08-17-2019), mckutzy (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 10:49 AM

I hear ya....The common technical Vernacular/colloquialism seems to escape people today. National Fine and National Course just dont seem to ring bells even in places where fasteners are sold... One place I went, figured I was talking about some obscure thread like Acme or Whitworth...
bob58o (08-17-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 11:03 PM
Here 8am-? Mon-Fri

Hey, been a while since I’ve been here. But have some news, I chipped a tooth working on an engine. I got a 49cc engine from my uncle last weekend, and while pulling the flywheel (the same as way that I’ve been doing it for years) I tightened the puller up a bit, heard a POW, and felt the flywheel bounce off my lip. In case you’re wondering, I wasn’t standing right in front of the flywheel (I’m not an idiot), I was about two feet above it and a foot to the side where I thought I would be safe. I’m still not sure how it managed to hit me, but at least it only barely chipped my tooth. Oh, and I was wearing safety glasses at the time, not that it helped my lip.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:14 AM

Thanked 3,476 Times in 2,834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.@SMS View Post
Hey, been a while since Iíve been here. But have some news, I chipped a tooth working on an engine. I got a 49cc engine from my uncle last weekend, and while pulling the flywheel (the same as way that Iíve been doing it for years) I tightened the puller up a bit, heard a POW, and felt the flywheel bounce off my lip. In case youíre wondering, I wasnít standing right in front of the flywheel (Iím not an idiot), I was about two feet above it and a foot to the side where I thought I would be safe. Iím still not sure how it managed to hit me, but at least it only barely chipped my tooth. Oh, and I was wearing safety glasses at the time, not that it helped my lip.
Ugh!! Well that sucks

My bit of news is that I finally moved into the house that I bought. I have now been there a week. I have even managed to unpack all my boxes

The only problem is that I still don't know where to put everything. You know how you have a favorite drawer or cupboard for stuff?? Well when you move that drawer isn't there anymore, and you have to find a new favorite place for your stuff.

Moving isn't easy
Old 09-13-2019, 01:57 PM

Chipping a tooth sucks (speaking from experience) and expensive. I'll have to wait til I'm off work in 3 hours to do quick bit. Been a crazy few days.

So today being a Friday the 13th, one of our programs we use to run work time on vehicles decided to crash. Now normally this happens at the end of the month, as the operating company of the program CDK, apparently is too cheap to buy servers to run the dang thing. Now today wasn't from a server problem, but something else with the program. It crashed on myself alone 50 times, and that might be underestimating it. 6 of us use CDK just for our department and it went down about that many times for all of us.

Our dealership will be transitioning to a electronic dispatch system to give people work. I guess it's supposed to eliminate favoritism and give work to qualified individuals. This does not include my department and none of us even know why we were pulled to have an hour meeting on it...at least we got a free lunch out of it. Hearing rumors of more people wanting to leave this company anyway. Mostly has to do with never getting pay raises ever, even though they are more than qualified for one. Have a feeling this place will be going under within a couple years.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:10 PM

So here's one for you guys. So doing my normal pre delivery inspections today as usual. Yesterday (Tuesday) we had a delivery of trucks from a company we only work with a couple times. The guy put a couple of our trucks away from the others along a curb in our lot, a Ram 3500 Dually and a Ram 1500 Rebel. I got to the Rebel around oh, probably 3:00pm today. Gas light was on, as is quite usual because these vehicle hardly ever come in with more than a 1/4 tank of fuel. Brought it inside the shop and into my stall. I get out of the truck to do my normal exterior inspection. I smelled raw gas and thought if anyone spilled gas or if a vehicle was running abnormally rich, nothing. So I walked around to the driver side of the truck and saw a clear puddle, thinking maybe condensation from the A/C, dipped my fingers in it and it was gas.

So I grabbed a tech who works next to me to give me a hand if maybe a fuel line or return line wasn't hooked together all the way. I see a drop of gas on the gas tank, took my flashlight and looked around and lo and behold, someone drilled not one but two holes in the gas tank....pulled my boss away from a leech...I mean salesman and showed him. So he orders a new gas tank which will arrive in four to five days. Finished up my inspection and parked it outside of our building with a sign stating that the vehicle has been disabled and not to move it.

Now with this being an off road ready truck, the truck has a skid plate under the gas tank. With the positioning of the holes, a good portion of gas landed in the skid plate, so any gas that would have gone to concrete (this portion of the lot isn't asphalt, instead its concrete) and evaporated.

I swear, I get the weirdest freakin things wrong with our vehicles.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:12 PM
Currently flathead-crazed

Weight reduction.......
Old 09-25-2019, 09:32 PM

Uhhhh...no. I would expected say cut brake lines or something else than a couple holes drilled in the tank. No idea if a police investigation will happen, I highly doubt it. It wouldn't solve anything. My dealership refuses to install more security cameras around, even after $250,000+ worth of vehicles were stolen last Christmas break from inside the dealership showroom floor. I'm kind of expecting that I wont be the one to swap fuel tanks anyway. Either I'll be told that I'm too busy for it, or some other generic bovine excrement excuse.

Word of advice to the younger people, DO NOT WORK AT A DEALERSHIP! If you want to work on vehicles, do it at an independent shop and get ASE certified. Being FCA or Ford Certified doesn't mean anything outside of the respected manufacturer dealers. My dealership doesn't honor ASE certification at all. They rather have you go through the CAP program or have you do online training from level 0 (lube technician) to level 3 (master technician). Yes, I do have an axe or six to grind)
Old 09-26-2019, 02:43 AM

Thanked 3,476 Times in 2,834 Posts

That really is weird!!
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
Kartorbust (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 05:32 AM
Aka a kenbar

I was bored and i couldnt get this stupid four wheeler to start so i converted a scrub brake go kart to a drum brake it sounds like alot for a single 16 year old but really wasnt it probably took 2 hours just need to get some bolts for the hub
Attached Thumbnails
20190925_173800.jpg  
Old 09-26-2019, 06:41 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

I've actually thought about making a band brake my karts primary braking and then making the scrub brakes as an e-brake. Meh, might or not.
Kartorbust- My main career plan is to become a weldor, since there's a big deficit in the industry. And I like welding.

Last edited by JTSpeedDemon; 09-26-2019 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Spelling(stupid Android!)
Old 09-26-2019, 07:13 AM
Aka a kenbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSpeedDemon View Post
I've actually thought about making a bank brake my karts rpiray braking and then making the scrub brakes as an e-brake. Meh, might or not.
Kartorbust- My main career plan is to become a weldor, since there's a big deficit in the industry. And I like welding.
But youve never welded or have you? Also my dad is getting me some 4 inch bolts for the hub so i can finish the conversion to a drum then i need to figure out if i can move the pedals and flip the steering to the front
Heres pictures of before
Attached Thumbnails
20190907_182610.jpg   20190908_174628.jpg