Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 05:02 PM

Default Go kart series 30 eating belt

I just finished my go kart and i put a series 30 chinese knockoff cvt on it. It has that then a chain running down to a jack shaft that goes to the right side to connect to the sprocket on the rear axle. Problem is, it is eating up my belt. I have idle set almost as low as it can go and stay running, but it still seems to eat it up (getting belt dust everywhere). Also, sometimes engine idle rpm seems to change when warming up in the cold. If you have any input I would appreciate any feedback. I have some links to pictures of the setup. thanks!

https://imgur.com/zN3W2Q3

https://imgur.com/vzkNSiY

https://imgur.com/V5kdne5

https://imgur.com/yqwbl23

Last edited by cody22; 01-04-2019 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Updating info
Old 01-04-2019, 05:58 PM
2018 Buildoff Winner ! 😎😎

What size tires and sprockets are you using and what engine ? Usually eating belts means the gearing is wrong on new parts. Or the belt alignment is off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe-405 For This Useful Post:
cody22 (02-06-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 07:34 PM

Thanked 1,389 Times in 983 Posts

only one part of the belt is being chewed up. This could be because you spaced the drive unit too far out, or spaced the driven unit too far in, or that you have the belt on backwards, or like joe said, gearing etc. I suspect the alignment is off because of the belt wear only on one edge of the cogs on the belt. I noticed that the 'kevlar' or whatever they are using for stitching is also worn on that side as well, which is a classic sign of misalignment.

have a good look at this webpage
https://www.gokartsupply.com/tcbelts.htm
Attached Thumbnails
sdfg.jpg  
cody22 (02-06-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 07:49 PM
Canned Monster

Are you sure that the belt is on correctly? What is your gear ratio?

Denny
The Following User Says Thank You to Denny For This Useful Post:
cody22 (02-06-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartFab View Post
only one part of the belt is being chewed up. This could be because you spaced the drive unit too far out, or spaced the driven unit too far in, or that you have the belt on backwards, or like joe said, gearing etc. I suspect the alignment is off because of the belt wear only on one edge of the cogs on the belt. I noticed that the 'kevlar' or whatever they are using for stitching is also worn on that side as well, which is a classic sign of misalignment.

The torque converter came with a washer and the spacer maybe could that washer be removed and space it evenly? And also how would I align the belt? Thanks for your input, Cody

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Are you sure that the belt is on correctly? What is your gear ratio?

Denny
I double checked and the belt has flat side against motor and beveled side against bevel on cvt driver and driven. And the gearing is 12t to a 60 or 70 tooth I believe. 6 hp tecumseh power sports engine.

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-405 View Post
What size tires and sprockets are you using and what engine ? Usually eating belts means the gearing is wrong on new parts. Or the belt alignment is off.
Tires are 14 inch I believe and sprockets are 12t to a 60 or 70 tooth. Iím thinking alignment is off Iím gonna check it tomorrow In daylight. Thanks for the reply I really appreciate your guyís help!
Old 01-04-2019, 09:30 PM
same as it ever was

I removed the washer from the engine side of the driven pulley to align my belt. It was shedding rubber before like in your pictures after a few test runs. I haven't checked it again after taking a few rides -- should do it this weekend.

my setup is a Lifan 6.5hp (168f2? maybe) with a knockoff 30 series TC. I have a 12 tooth sprocket on the TC and 55 on the axle. wheel diameter is approximately 10.7" based on rollout.

I may also have a gearing problem with mine because I was good for 43mph with a 12 tooth clutch at ~6300 RPM. The TC seems limited to ~40mph at 5300 rpm. I don't know if the limit is belt slipping above 5000 rpm (as kartfab mentioned elsewhere) or the fuel line reroutes I did when moving the engine placement. the exhaust isn't popping anymore on deceleration either is why I thought it may be fuel limited.

my 2 cents...
cody22 (02-06-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 09:32 PM
2018 Buildoff Winner ! 😎😎

Post a picture from the back side of the belt to the front side so preferably from the rear and towards the top facing down a little bit. So we can see the alignment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe-405 For This Useful Post:
cody22 (02-06-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-405 View Post
Post a picture from the back side of the belt to the front side so preferably from the rear and towards the top facing down a little bit. So we can see the alignment.

Looks like the driver pulley is too far in. I have both the spacer and the washer installed, Iím gonna see if I have a washer 3/4 Id to see if I can space it enough to line up. If you got any ideas that would be appreciated thanks! Cody
Old 01-05-2019, 09:32 AM

Thanked 1,389 Times in 983 Posts

use a straight edge to line up the back edge of the drive and driven units. that should be close enough. you can use washers/spacers on either drive or driven units.
cody22 (02-06-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
use a straight edge to line up the back edge of the drive and driven units. that should be close enough. you can use washers/spacers on either drive or driven units.
I got it good now but it seems to get very hot after 10-15 minutes of use. I have idle set really low. It also doesnít seem to advance to high range when driving also, maybe this all has something with gearing? Thanks, cody
Old 01-08-2019, 12:29 AM

Thanked 3,190 Times in 2,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody22 View Post
I got it good now but it seems to get very hot after 10-15 minutes of use. I have idle set really low. It also doesnít seem to advance to high range when driving also, maybe this all has something with gearing? Thanks, cody
You could put the kart up on blocks and video the TC as you rev the engine. We could maybe see if the TC is working properly or not
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
cody22 (02-06-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 11:07 AM

Hi, new member here. And a bit late to this thread.
I looked at the pictures. Is the CVT on the right side of the engine or am I seeing things?

I'm trying to work this out in my head and I think you have the driven pulley movable sheave on the wrong side of the cam ramp.
On a left side CVT if you hold the driven pulley fixed sheave, grip the top of the moveable sheave, it would rotate away from the drive pulley.
I think yours would rotate towards the drive pulley.
Not sure though, I'm getting brain fog trying to think it through.

The large contra spring might have the wrong spiral direction also.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Nevermind I was looking at it wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snaker For This Useful Post:
cody22 (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 04:08 PM

Default Problem fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaker View Post
Hi, new member here. And a bit late to this thread.
I looked at the pictures. Is the CVT on the right side of the engine or am I seeing things?

I'm trying to work this out in my head and I think you have the driven pulley movable sheave on the wrong side of the cam ramp.
On a left side CVT if you hold the driven pulley fixed sheave, grip the top of the moveable sheave, it would rotate away from the drive pulley.
I think yours would rotate towards the drive pulley.
Not sure though, I'm getting brain fog trying to think it through.

The large contra spring might have the wrong spiral direction also.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Nevermind I was looking at it wrong.
I figured out the problem it ended up being incorrect bet alignment thanks to all who helped fix the problem!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cody22 For This Useful Post:
Joe-405 (02-06-2019), landuse (02-06-2019)