Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 04:17 PM

Default OCC Stingray with Clone Motor

Hey everybody, i've been looking around on youtube and such looking for ideas of what to do with this bicycle...I've seen all the small motor kits for it on places like ebay, but, i was wanting to go for something a little bigger. i really want to put a Honda Clone motor on it. like the predators from harbor frieght. but the few projects I've seen like this just showed it finished. not how to mount it or what they used. so i was wondering if anyone has any idea on how i could possibly do this? Sadly i don't have access to a welder nor have i ever welded before. so does anyone this is possible without one?? All help will be appreciated. Thanks everyone
Old 09-04-2012, 05:39 PM

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,693 Posts

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5797

This one turned out great, but to be honest- I think you're pretty much screwed without a means of welding. It might be possible, but certainly more difficult to engineer.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 09-04-2012, 10:02 PM

yeah i've seen that one. i would love to have something like that. maybe i could use some way of bolting a mounting plate to the lower frame rail? if i could do that i can get one of the sprocket kits for the wheel so i can use the same wheel and everything...what kind of gear ratios would i need to get 30mph - 40mph with a 20 inch wheel with reasonable acceleration?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:09 AM

Thanked 3,511 Times in 2,867 Posts

I am also not too sure if it can be done without a welder. You could go and have a look at the following forums as well. They deal more with motorised bicycles

www.motoredbikes.com
www.motorbicycling.com

I know some of the guys there have used HF engines on their bikes. You will just have to search a bit
Old 09-05-2012, 09:11 PM

I've done this on a similar chopper bicycle frame (before I had my welder). What I did was drill holes in my engine mounting plate for two U-bolts that clamped down on the bottom frame tube. They held the engine plate tight really well. I also drilled 3 holes in my rear wheel hub to accommodate my sprocket, and used three bolts with nuts to hold it on. I guess you could do something like that.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhammotors View Post
I've done this on a similar chopper bicycle frame (before I had my welder). What I did was drill holes in my engine mounting plate for two U-bolts that clamped down on the bottom frame tube. They held the engine plate tight really well. I also drilled 3 holes in my rear wheel hub to accommodate my sprocket, and used three bolts with nuts to hold it on. I guess you could do something like that.
Do you have some more specifics on this possibly? i've thought about this but i didnt know how well it would work, did it hold together well? what size sprockets would work well?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:52 AM
TheBeal.

^^ I think the U bolts would be the weak point... unless its a small engine, If you have a low powered engine I think that would work fine. But if your using a 6.5 clone, you may want to look into getting it welded... surly you could find a local welder to do it for you?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:14 PM

well i was really hoping for the 212cc predator...thats the 6.5 right? i was thinkin i could possibly use a rubber mallet to flatten out the bottom tube where the mount is going to sit so i can get a nice tight fit. and then loctite on the nuts on the u-bolts so they shouldnt vibrate off. and perhaps see how that goes, if worst comes to worst i think my neighbor has got a welder and i might could talk to him about welding it. if not i might can find someone...but i really want to try to do it with the u-bolts just to see how well it works. im still trying to figure out what kind of gear ratios i would need
Old 09-06-2012, 02:01 PM
wishing i was living

on the home page of the site there is a speed calc

heres link http://www.diygokarts.com/speed-calculator.html
Old 09-06-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.M.800 View Post
^^ I think the U bolts would be the weak point... unless its a small engine, If you have a low powered engine I think that would work fine. But if your using a 6.5 clone, you may want to look into getting it welded... surly you could find a local welder to do it for you?
Yeah, it was only a little 50cc two stroke, so it didn't have to be very strong.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:10 PM

i found my gear ratio. looks like about a 60t on the wheel and 12 on the clutch. anyone know where to get a mounting plate for one of these?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 AM

Thanked 1,790 Times in 1,480 Posts

It might work with a rack mounted motor. But a clone is going to be about 30lbs or more, and having a higher centered motor like that makes the bike kinda unstable.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:20 PM

well i'm planning on mounting it inside the frame. not on a rack. i want it to be more like a chopper style instead of looking rigged lol now i just gotta save up the money for the motor...i thought i had an old 5hp briggs flathead but turns out it has no compression on it :/ so scratch that idea..
Old 09-08-2012, 08:45 AM

Why not fix that flatty?
Old 09-08-2012, 02:23 PM

Thanked 1,790 Times in 1,480 Posts

A briggs is a little more compact. But I still think that those motors are too big to mount with out welding and chopping.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:44 PM

well how would i fix the flatty? it doesnt have any compression. its turning over and it has spark(found out the hard way ) so any ideas?
Old 09-09-2012, 03:02 PM

Tear it down and find out! Maybe the rings are shot. Maybe a valve is hung. Disassemble carefully, noting where each part (and fastener) goes. I strongly suggest individual ziploc baggies, labelled for each part. Take photos and notes. Once the problem is determined, you can figure out if it's worth fixing to you. AND- since you had planned to replace it anyway, you have nothing to lose. If the damage isn't too bad and you're careful in your work, you'll end up with a runner for much cheaper than a replacement engine, and the knowledge and experience is priceless!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:01 PM

Alright! sounds like i got my plans for tomorrow lol how do i know if the rings are bad? make it kinda idiot proofed as i've never taken a small motor apart...i've done work on bigger motors before with my bro and dad(motor and tranny swap, and many other parts) but i don't know alot about the smaller ones.
Closed Thread