Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 12:00 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,954 Times in 2,300 Posts

A little off topic...but....I was building a 399 Ford stroker small block....on the cheap....and thinking "out of the box"....so....besides using smog heads and porting them instead of using small chamber hi-po heads....I had an additional problem....see...I was fighting CR....(.060 overbore stroked engine) ....but also....hitting target bobweight with big cheap pistons.....(actually....they were Speed-Pro hypers.,...so they weren't that bad.....but)....I was looking at going the other way and possibly dishing them to kill two birds....

BTW: Officially....it's on hold...even though the vehicle it was intended for is gone.....
Old 02-10-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poboy kartman View Post
A little off topic...but....I was building a 399 Ford stroker small block....on the cheap....and thinking "out of the box"....so....besides using smog heads and porting them instead of using small chamber hi-po heads....I had an additional problem....see...I was fighting CR....(.060 overbore stroked engine) ....but also....hitting target bobweight with big cheap pistons.....(actually....they were Speed-Pro hypers.,...so they weren't that bad.....but)....I was looking at going the other way and possibly dishing them to kill two birds....

BTW: Officially....it's on hold...even though the vehicle it was intended for is gone.....
That would have worked
Old 02-10-2015, 12:04 PM

And taking the combustion chamber out to the cylinder bore.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertduler View Post
And taking the combustion chamber out to the cylinder bore.
That was a given....as well as polishing....but since I was going with oversized valves....almost a necessity....as they are shrouded enough to start with!
Old 02-10-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
That was a given....as well as polishing....but since I was going with oversized valves....almost a necessity....as they are shrouded enough to start with!
There you go,You know about shrouded valves,often over looked indeed!
Old 02-10-2015, 12:22 PM
Banned

BTW: I actually ported a couple of heads...(pairs) ....with exhaust ports and combustion chambers that looked like chrome.....

The intake side was different....besides being rough....I had another idea....to twist the port on the way....to slightly swirl the fuel mix...and the combustion chamber had a slight depression to match...to direct it towards the spark plug and center of chamber.....

Unfortunately....I never know when to quit!!!!! Found the water jacket on both sets!!!!! But they were looking sweet until then!!!!!

I don't even want to think about the wasted hours.....at least the cores were only $20 a pair.....
Old 02-10-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
BTW: I actually ported a couple of heads...(pairs) ....with exhaust ports and combustion chambers that looked like chrome.....

The intake side was different....besides being rough....I had another idea....to twist the port on the way....to slightly swirl the fuel mix...and the combustion chamber had a slight depression to match...to direct it towards the spark plug and center of chamber.....

Unfortunately....I never know when to quit!!!!! Found the water jacket on both sets!!!!! But they were looking sweet until then!!!!!

I don't even want to think about the wasted hours.....at least the cores were only $20 a pair.....
I have ported many heads myself back in the days of my street and drag racing days,mostly small block chevys,VW's,etc,along with many bike and snowmobile heads and cylinders,lot's of work and time for sure! I have done some golf ball dimpling on both intake and exhaust valves with a indexing head,mill,and ball end mills,etc,and blueprinting,lots of work indeed!
Old 02-10-2015, 12:41 PM

The first set of so called vortec heads I ever saw was on a Case diesel engine that I rebuilt that was in a large tracked hoe long before Bill Elliot was running that port configuration on his stock cars, and if I remember right GM found out about that style of intake ramp in the bowl area and started using it in production engines,?
Old 02-10-2015, 12:48 PM

Any how,here are some Boyesen Power Pro reeds that I will be testing out on one of my engines.
Attached Thumbnails
009.jpg   013.jpg  

017.jpg  
Old 02-10-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Any how,here are some Boyesen Power Pro reeds that I will be testing out on one of my engines.

How much power would you say you are making compared to stock using this? 10% 20% ETC ETC?
Old 02-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Banned

I'll let Brett answer that,....but it's not power that's the real issue .....
Old 02-10-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyW00lf View Post
How much power would you say you are making compared to stock using this? 10% 20% ETC ETC?
What I was looking for was a wider powerband which I have achieved and some more top end which I also was able to get.
As far as how much more in percentage the engines powerband the engine has now does not compare to how it was when it was piston ported so let me just put it this way,where as this engine before had a very soggy bottom end and then a huge hit in the mid range and then it would pull to the top end and then kind of sign off now this engine has more bottom end power and still has some hit in the midrange but not so much like a lightswitch but it pulls harder in the mid and will now rev past the rpm that it used to sign off at. It is really hard to get a overall power increase with a two stroke it is either more low to midrange or mid to high range power.I am using a 34 mm Mikuni and this engine did not like a 36 mm carburetor so intake velocity is important with this combination that I am using and it was well worth every minute that I spent modifying this engine.But remember I am using one gear ratio that is why I needed a wider powerband. In order to make this modification to say to a sled or something with a CVT one would have to recalibrate the clutching to reap the rewards of the wider powerband there would be no need in having the primary clutch engage say at 3500 to 4000 rpm and step past the lower rpm power that this engine has now.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:18 PM

I am working on a (Generation 2) cylinder that will require a different expansion chamber so if the gen 2 cylinder works better than the one that I am using I can modify the current one to it and visa versa.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Banned

There ya go......

EDIT:....IT'S POWERBAND.......
Old 02-10-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
What I was looking for was a wider powerband which I have achieved and some more top end which I also was able to get.
As far as how much more in percentage the engines powerband the engine has now does not compare to how it was when it was piston ported so let me just put it this way,where as this engine before had a very soggy bottom end and then a huge hit in the mid range and then it would pull to the top end and then kind of sign off now this engine has more bottom end power and still has some hit in the midrange but not so much like a lightswitch but it pulls harder in the mid and will now rev past the rpm that it used to sign off at. It is really hard to get a overall power increase with a two stroke it is either more low to midrange or mid to high range power.I am using a 34 mm Mikuni and this engine did not like a 36 mm carburetor so intake velocity is important with this combination that I am using and it was well worth every minute that I spent modifying this engine.But remember I am using one gear ratio that is why I needed a wider powerband. In order to make this modification to say to a sled or something with a CVT one would have to recalibrate the clutching to reap the rewards of the wider powerband there would be no need in having the primary clutch engage say at 3500 to 4000 rpm and step past the lower rpm power that this engine has now.

Too bad you Could not have made a rough guess at the power %.
Now you've got me wondering as to how much more power % you've gained over stock and it's torque % as well because from the sounds of it you have more of both.

**** you Desertduler, this is gonna drive me nuts and just might put me in the funny farm for life. <-- (Just Kidding )
Old 02-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Banned

Well gray wolffie....I'm.not the sharpest knife in the drawer...but...I'm actually pretty fair at explaining things....

So...this is a two stroke engine....typically...they make all their power at high rpms....what Desertdueler has done is give it more power at lower rpms....not to say it may not have more "power" at higher rpms.... but...that's really insignificant. compared to the gains.....

Look at it this way....you have a bicycle that can go 100 mph.... but it takes you 25 miles from take-off to get there....it takes everything you've got to do that...now....you add a low gear...that allows more of your leg energy to move the bike faster...and then...you are right back where you started...but you got there faster.....

He added more grunt on the bottom end....(a lower gear....or a buddy giving you a push downhill) he didn't necessarily change the "power" so much....as he did change the gear ratio...or get a "helper" on the push start.....
Old 02-10-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyW00lf View Post
Too bad you Could not have made a rough guess at the power %.
Now you've got me wondering as to how much more power % you've gained over stock and it's torque % as well because from the sounds of it you have more of both.

**** you Desertduler, this is gonna drive me nuts and just might put me in the funny farm for life. <-- (Just Kidding )
Ok,I would say I have over 35ft lbs of torque opposed to the stock 22.9 that it is rated at,and around 38 hp or so for sure maybe a little more.But I have done many things to achieve this and not just adding the reed valve induction.My kart is of heavy duty construction and I alone weigh 245.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Well gray wolffie....I'm.not the sharpest knife in the drawer...but...I'm actually pretty fair at explaining things....

So...this is a two stroke engine....typically...they make all their power at high rpms....what Desertdueler has done is give it more power at lower rpms....not to say it may not have more "power" at higher rpms.... but...that's really insignificant. compared to the gains.....

Look at it this way....you have a bicycle that can go 100 mph.... but it takes you 25 miles from take-off to get there....it takes everything you've got to do that...now....you add a low gear...that allows more of your leg energy to move the bike faster...and then...you are right back where you started...but you got there faster.....

He added more grunt on the bottom end....(a lower gear....or a buddy giving you a push downhill) he didn't necessarily change the "power" so much....as he did change the gear ratio...or get a "helper" on the push start.....
Quote:
Ok,I would say I have over 35ft lbs of torque opposed to the stock 22.9 that it is rated at,and around 38 hp or so for sure maybe a little more.But I have done many things to achieve this and not just adding the reed valve induction.My kart is of heavy duty construction and I alone weigh 245.

Thanks both of you, keep up the engine work there Desertduler i have been watching this thread since you started it
The Following User Says Thank You to GreyW00lf For This Useful Post:
Desertduler (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 08:27 AM

This is my best jetting set up for this day and altitude,+4603ft,temp 62f,relative humidity 30%. Carburetor VM34 Mikuni,2.5 Slide, Q-2 Needle jet, 6DH4 Needle 4th position, 260 Main jet, 35 Pilot jet, Air screw 2 turns, Fuel mix 25:1 Maxima K2 oil, 91 octane fuel.
Perfect piston wash and plug coloring.
The Following User Says Thank You to Desertduler For This Useful Post:
itsid (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Banned

NOW ....he's just showing off!!!!!.....JK!!!!

ALL of us mere mortals are doing this:
Closed Thread