Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 04:40 PM

Default Awesome scooter

Hey guys!
I still have building a mini bike with a 10 hp engine in the back of my mind, but I found this great old chainsaw in my basement. It is a Jonsered {a power equipment company now affiliated with Husqvarna?} I believe the displacement to be over 50cc, probably around 80cc. It is a two-stroke, and basically just needs a little tune-up to get running. I am thinking of maybe a dirt type scooter {sounds crazy if you realize I am talking about those stand up ones, that you may have seen 15 or 16 year olds buzzing around on, blowing people's eardrums off.} I am sure that with good tires, a scooter like that could be suitable for off-road. I just saw this craziness yesterday at go-ped.com. It is called the trail ripper and has an 50cc engine with knobby tires and swing arms on both axles. I will include a link to it. There is an awesome video of this guy flying over jumps and skidding through corners. Nothing short of powerful! I think with the chainsaw engine and some tubing I have downstairs I could have the base of a scooter in four or five days. This is a project I might actually do an it is a little more realistic for. me. I don't think I'm ready to weld an entire mini-bike frame together from scratch, but doing something smaller might be doable. Here is my question: Do you think the standard clutch used for cutting down trees would burn out? I will probably repalce it no matter what, but I want to try and conserve what I can. I know a scooter would be very fast with the right clutch and that big motor on it. Also, is this considered related to mini-bikes and scooters, or out of your realm?
The link:http://http://www.goped.com/products/gtr/default.asp
It is really something when the guy goes through those puddles!
Old 11-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,027 Times in 428 Posts

those things look sweet! Take pics!
Old 11-13-2006, 05:51 PM

Default motor

Here's the motor, it's big heavy, and makes a lot of smoke. Just got it fired up today and it started right up. I will probably get a new clutch. Frame coming soon.
matt5
Attached Thumbnails
pic.JPG  
Old 11-13-2006, 07:49 PM

one problem with using the existing clutch..... theres no teeth on it so i think ull have to pull that one off and try to find a 2 stroke clutch or one which has a high enough engagement point to not engage at idle as 2 stroke engines make way more rpm's than 4 strokes one more think make sure that the inside diameter fits on the shaft if ur chainsaw before u buy/order it as many online places dont offer returns on opened clutches

hope this helps
Old 11-14-2006, 03:31 PM

Default 11/14/06

started it up again, and it has a little button you push down to start it up. It puts the throttle about half way, so when you start it it starts revving up. If you give it a blip of the throttle, it will settle back down. you said that by putting a higher rpm clutch I would be able to put a new clutch on. Is there a way I could start it without activating the clutch. I wouldn't want the thing to go running loose on me. Does an idler sprocket fix this problem, relating to engine idling at all? If I had it on a scooter or mini-bike I would just want to be able to pull-start it and get going. Maybe you or someone else could explain to me how I could get it idling when I start it. It's probably pretty simple, but the old chain saw doesn't have any specs online. I would have to send out for a manual from Rye, NH, and I don't feel like getting it right now. Wait it probably wouldn't be in a service manual. If I can sort this little issue out, I will get a clutch from mfgsupply.com and order other stuff. One more question: Do you have to buy a sprocket for the clutch, or can you just hook up the chain to the rear sprocket and go. Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Can somebody with mechanical knowledge please explain this to me?

Last edited by matt5; 11-16-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:10 PM

COULD SOMEBODY GIVE ME A RESPONSE! ANYBODY!
Old 11-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Administrator

I'm unsure exactly all the questions you're asking, so maybe rewording your questions would help.

As far as whether clutches have sprockets, yes, they do, that's how they transfer the energy to the chain when the clutch is engaged. There's probably lots of pics on MFG supply, too.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:14 AM

Hey! I might help you if you understand my english =P.. I too got a chainsaw, the clutch is almost like yours.. But back the wheel i can see on the picture there was a wheel the chain where driving on right? I welded a bicycle sprocket too it and wolla you have a clutch with sprocket. Not sure about this is a smart thing to do.. I never tested it i sat the engine on a bicycle but got problems too fit it so the project got destroyed.. But robertdjung ; Can i use that clutch on my Briggs Engine? I think it's about 3hp. Then i can build a chopper ??
Old 11-20-2006, 04:20 AM

okay, i guess I'm wondering how you start a motor on a mini bike, scooter, etc. and have it idle. The chainsaw starts at half throttle, and starts to rev up. If you give it a blip of the throttle, it will settle back down to idle. How do you start it and not have it take off on you? Even with a torque converter clutch it might be a problem. I would have to jump on pretty quick. Is there a way I could aviod this at startup?
Old 11-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Administrator

netzor: a bicycle gear is a different size than the go kart sprockets and chains, so it won't work unless you use all bicycle parts.

matt: I guess I just don't understand the clutch system. If it's like any of my projects with a normal clutch, so long as the engine is below a certain rpm, the clutch doesn't engage.

So if you've got a clutch on that thing, I guess you're asking how you avoid revving it too high so that you can get on before the clutch engages.

With an engine that's weak, you can probably just hold it in place if the clutch is not acheiving full lock-up.

Is this a clutch that came on the chainsaw, or one you bought?
Old 11-20-2006, 06:21 PM

is there teeth on the clutch in between the engine and the clutch?
Old 11-21-2006, 04:35 AM

Default clutch

Well its probably around 80cc, maybe higher. My dad says that it can take up to a three foot bar! It is a high-revving engine, like a 50cc dirt bike engine. I don't know, maybe it wouldn't engage. I could get an rpm meter and measure it before I put it on the scooter. It has the stock clutch on it right now, for a chainsaw chain. I will probably buy a max-torque clutch for it as soon as I get the old one off. Maybe that would engage at higher rpm. I really don't know. I wonder if anyone does know. I just want to be safe the first time I ride with this engine. I don't want to kill myself on the first ride.

For mikeandike: Yes, the teeth are between the engine and clutch, as a new clutch would probably be. Does that change anything?

Thanks for sending replies guys. I hope I can figure this out. If not, I will just have to move forward and hope for the best.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:13 PM

well if you find out what the spacing in between the teeth you'll find the chain size and mabe you can use the same clutch
Old 11-22-2006, 11:05 AM

You should be able to not only buy the new clutch but also some clutch springs; mix-matching the springs yield different engagement speeds.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:55 PM

Default I attempted that

I tried to use a chainsaw motor along time ago... it didn't have enough snot to push a chopper and a rider... I tried all different size sprockets as well as 2 or 3 clutches... still could never get it to work...
Closed Thread