Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 06:46 PM

Default My Mini

Here is a pic of my bike I am curently building with my son. It has a 5hp Kawasaki engine (B&S style) should be finished and riding it by the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Minibike1.jpg   Minibike2.jpg  

Old 02-20-2007, 07:26 PM

hey junkman, its realy great to see somebody else building one of these. nice work! hey if the wheel i see in the floor is what i think it is, be very carefull of the hubs and bearings in them. the hubs arent welded together, just crimped. mine came apart the first 50 feet, and after i fixed that the bearings came apart. yours may be different? i also think the bike would work better if the rear wheel was moved back 6 inches from the plan assuming your useing the same plan i did. anyway post more pic's as you go.--phil
Old 02-20-2007, 07:58 PM

Yeah I thought the rear wheel could move back some myself. I am going to be building a few of these one for me and one for my boy so I will build the next one with a stretch as you suggest. The wheels on the floor are cheapies I am going to remove the hub and modify them to see if they can be useful. I have a bunch of bike frames that I collect when people put them out to the garbage so I am going to experiment with different designs. I will be sure to post pics as it progresses, thanks for the comments.

P.S.
I do some cad drafting and I have drawn some prints which I use as templates for things like the axle fittings, if you need anything like this and I have it I would be happy to share.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,027 Times in 428 Posts

I'd say you'll need a larger back wheel to deal with that sprocket size. Looks like if you make a left turn you'll throw sparks. My first mini was like that, I bought a 5" wheel and it worked fine.

Otherwise, looks awesome! Make notes on what you think needs changed between the plans you use and what you end up with!
Old 02-23-2007, 06:58 PM

yeah it seems i will need a larger wheel. I was going to se if i could find a taller tier with the same rim size and try that. When I am done I will post on my website all the details and pics.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:46 AM

i bolted my whell directley to the wheel hub ther was about 1/2 inch between the wheel and the cog and it hasnt hit yet apart from when i fell off.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:28 PM

hey junkman, how's it going with your project??-phil
Closed Thread