Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 10:37 AM

Default adult go kart/dune buggy kit

Hello. My son and I are looking for a summer project. Can anyone recommend where to get a go kart or dune buggy kit. I have searched the internet and can't seem to find one. We want a two seater. Thanks
Old 06-13-2018, 11:19 AM

Are you wanting a new complete package? To have everything shipped to you in one package and then put it together?

Or are you looking to get a frame and choose the parts yourself?

Complete packages will always be new, but used frames can be easily found.

How big/small do you want it to be?
To go fast or to be off-road only?
Roll cage/no roll cage?
1 seater/2 seater?
Most importantly, what's the budget?
Old 06-13-2018, 12:24 PM

Great questions. I guess a complete package shipped unassembled, or close to it, for our first one. It needs to be large enough for an adult and teenager - a two seater with a roll cage. My son wants it to go fast, of course. I would like it to be able to go off-road. Our budget is open as this is a gift for my son. I hope that helps.

Thank you.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:52 PM

There were a few recommendations on this thread.

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39256

Usually, "assembly required" is not a selling point. I would recommend calling and explaining what you want to do. Some go karts are preassembled and delivered to your house that way. Often they are half or less assembled to make the box smaller for less expensive shipping.

One of the links on that thread is to hammerhead go karts.

http://www.hammerheadoffroad.com/vehicles/

They have been around for awhile. I'd recommend checking out some youtube videos of any kart you're looking at to get a good idea of what it might feel like having an adult and teenager in it.

I personally like my Kandi. It kind of toes the line between dune buggy and go kart. I'd recommend the 200 or bigger. Plus, there's a guy on youtube that did videos of every step in putting together a Kandi. They helped me a number of times.

It can be hard looking at photos when there is nothing for size reference. Be sure to check out the max load weight. That's going to give you a really good idea of the overall sturdiness. A go kart rated for 250lbs load will be very different to one rated 400lbs+ load.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:20 PM

Thanks, gr8hairy1. I appreciate your help.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:27 PM
2018 Buildoff Entry ! 🤓🤓

Im afraid with the introduction of the utv markets these type of plans and ideas aren’t readily available anymore unfortunately. Here is one that is still around tho.................

https://theedgeproducts.com/

https://www.spidercarts.com/
Old 07-12-2018, 07:36 AM

john1992 I am about to post my buggy build once I get all the rest of the photos and story together. I designed and built myself in my garage and I am no master. It is basically a shrunk down version of the classic old style VW rail buggy but with a Predator 420 or 670cc motor. I built the whole thing with a 300.00 Woodard fab pipe bender, chop saw and Lincoln mig by myself with no help. So you and your son should have no problem with doing it if you choose.

Here is a teaser to what I built. Does this look like something you were thinking about? If so, In my build page when I get it done, I will put material, steps and measurements. All in all this was not that expensive. The tires and rims were half the cost of the whole project, and I have not added it up but It should be under a 1000 which to me is a pretty good deal for what it is.

Just let me know if your interested and I will try and remember to send you the link when I post or just keep watching the kart section and look for my post maybe by this weekend if I get everything together.

free picture upload
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RickyBobby For This Useful Post:
bob58o (07-20-2018), ezcome-ezgo (07-16-2018), Functional Artist (07-21-2018), gr8hairy1 (07-12-2018), landuse (07-13-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 03:41 PM

RickyBobby, that looks awesome. Nice job. I would love to build something like that with my son.

Thank you.