Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 06-08-2018, 06:41 PM

Default Sizing

Hey folks, I'm working on building a go kart from scratch, making as many parts as I can.

Anyhow, I was thinking of the size of the go kart, it will be an offroad go kart, one seater. Right now, my design is 32"x98" (WxL); axle is going to be 54". Nothing is built, I'm just laying it out on paper.

Is there a guideline a person should go by when designing, like a WxL ratio?
Old 06-09-2018, 12:17 AM

I haven't found any guidelines like that. In general, the wider or longer a go kart is the less likely it'll flip (rollover) in that direction.

Although a smaller wheel base will help in climbing over larger obstacles.

Ride height and tire size can play just as big of a role in rollover likelihood.

The only thing I've heard about go kart sizing is the front tire stance should be wider than the rear tire stance. I can see this applying more to pavement racing go karts. But I haven't found any info on what percentage or measurable difference it makes. And zero info if it applies to off road go karts.

I'm still in the process of fixing up my go kart. I bought a 55 inch rear axle specifically for the point of testing different rear tire widths. I plan on using an old school torque wrench with the needle display and taking pictures or video to post on here to show the difference it causes in the force needed to turn the steering wheel.

My only 2 cents on the measurements you're planning on using is it seems the tires will stick out quite a ways from the frame body. Definitely look at having supports that come out from the kart to as close as possible to the rear tires to help prevent axle from bending while off roading.

Do you have any sketches you've done of what you're thinking?
Old 06-09-2018, 05:19 AM

sizing; That's a good subject for us DIY people, fabricating up a kart frame you need working dimensions that will fit you?? My off road kart that I'm building, is about 1/2 way finished, It has a wheel base center of 54"inch ( axle center to center) that will fit most any body. The steering wheel center will be 16"inch up from top of seat and 24" inch from the inside seat back to center of steering wheel seat, steering dim. can be + or - 2" The outside dim.of tires is 48" inch so it will fit inside a pickup. weight = drag, torque lost, control, build it light.

cutting, fitting, and welding is your next friend
Old 06-09-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8hairy1 View Post
I haven't found any guidelines like that. In general, the wider or longer a go kart is the less likely it'll flip (rollover) in that direction.

Although a smaller wheel base will help in climbing over larger obstacles.

Ride height and tire size can play just as big of a role in rollover likelihood.

The only thing I've heard about go kart sizing is the front tire stance should be wider than the rear tire stance. I can see this applying more to pavement racing go karts. But I haven't found any info on what percentage or measurable difference it makes. And zero info if it applies to off road go karts.

I'm still in the process of fixing up my go kart. I bought a 55 inch rear axle specifically for the point of testing different rear tire widths. I plan on using an old school torque wrench with the needle display and taking pictures or video to post on here to show the difference it causes in the force needed to turn the steering wheel.

My only 2 cents on the measurements you're planning on using is it seems the tires will stick out quite a ways from the frame body. Definitely look at having supports that come out from the kart to as close as possible to the rear tires to help prevent axle from bending while off roading.

Do you have any sketches you've done of what you're thinking?
I don't have any hills to climb where I'm at, I live in the country a bit, just have dirt roads.

On the rear tires, yeah I'll be beefing it up a bit or may just make the width 36".

Yeah got a sketch, let me see if I can get it uploaded
Attached Thumbnails
20180609_105552.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Tongue Devil For This Useful Post:
gr8hairy1 (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksonly View Post
sizing; That's a good subject for us DIY people, fabricating up a kart frame you need working dimensions that will fit you?? My off road kart that I'm building, is about 1/2 way finished, It has a wheel base center of 54"inch ( axle center to center) that will fit most any body. The steering wheel center will be 16"inch up from top of seat and 24" inch from the inside seat back to center of steering wheel seat, steering dim. can be + or - 2" The outside dim.of tires is 48" inch so it will fit inside a pickup. weight = drag, torque lost, control, build it light.

cutting, fitting, and welding is your next friend
Sounds like you got it figured out. I plan on driving it everywhere I go so I don't worry about putting it in a pickup.

I'll be using 1" square tubing, 11 gauge which if I recall is about 1/8" thick. Be adding gussets in all corners to give it strength but keep the weight down. I haven't decided if I should put a 420cc or a 670cc on it
Old 06-09-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Tongue Devil View Post
Sounds like you got it figured out. I plan on driving it everywhere I go so I don't worry about putting it in a pickup.

I'll be using 1" square tubing, 11 gauge which if I recall is about 1/8" thick. Be adding gussets in all corners to give it strength but keep the weight down. I haven't decided if I should put a 420cc or a 670cc on it
Depending on your frame design, 11ga 1" tube will be plenty strong, possibly even overkill, even without gussets. In most cases, with either a small frame or a well-designed large frame, 14ga would be sufficient.

Increased wall thickness does less for strength than larger tubing dimension. 16ga 1" mighe be considerably stronger than 11ga 1, without weighing any more.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anickode View Post
Depending on your frame design, 11ga 1" tube will be plenty strong, possibly even overkill, even without gussets. In most cases, with either a small frame or a well-designed large frame, 14ga would be sufficient.

Increased wall thickness does less for strength than larger tubing dimension. 16ga 1" mighe be considerably stronger than 11ga 1, without weighing any more.
I'm going to beat the **** out of it. 16 gauge is a little thin, I can weld but I'm sure I'll be blowing holes through the tubing. I'll consider going a light gauge maybe to 14.