Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-08-2018, 06:41 PM
Silver Tongue Devil Silver Tongue Devil is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Southern Texas
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Sizing

Hey folks, I'm working on building a go kart from scratch, making as many parts as I can.

Anyhow, I was thinking of the size of the go kart, it will be an offroad go kart, one seater. Right now, my design is 32"x98" (WxL); axle is going to be 54". Nothing is built, I'm just laying it out on paper.

Is there a guideline a person should go by when designing, like a WxL ratio?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-09-2018, 12:17 AM
gr8hairy1 gr8hairy1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Waycross, GA
Posts: 211
Thanks: 352
Thanked 60 Times in 54 Posts
Default

I haven't found any guidelines like that. In general, the wider or longer a go kart is the less likely it'll flip (rollover) in that direction.

Although a smaller wheel base will help in climbing over larger obstacles.

Ride height and tire size can play just as big of a role in rollover likelihood.

The only thing I've heard about go kart sizing is the front tire stance should be wider than the rear tire stance. I can see this applying more to pavement racing go karts. But I haven't found any info on what percentage or measurable difference it makes. And zero info if it applies to off road go karts.

I'm still in the process of fixing up my go kart. I bought a 55 inch rear axle specifically for the point of testing different rear tire widths. I plan on using an old school torque wrench with the needle display and taking pictures or video to post on here to show the difference it causes in the force needed to turn the steering wheel.

My only 2 cents on the measurements you're planning on using is it seems the tires will stick out quite a ways from the frame body. Definitely look at having supports that come out from the kart to as close as possible to the rear tires to help prevent axle from bending while off roading.

Do you have any sketches you've done of what you're thinking?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-09-2018, 05:19 AM
slicksonly slicksonly is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

sizing; That's a good subject for us DIY people, fabricating up a kart frame you need working dimensions that will fit you?? My off road kart that I'm building, is about 1/2 way finished, It has a wheel base center of 54"inch ( axle center to center) that will fit most any body. The steering wheel center will be 16"inch up from top of seat and 24" inch from the inside seat back to center of steering wheel seat, steering dim. can be + or - 2" The outside dim.of tires is 48" inch so it will fit inside a pickup. weight = drag, torque lost, control, build it light.


cutting, fitting, and welding is your next friend
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-09-2018, 10:00 AM
Silver Tongue Devil Silver Tongue Devil is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Southern Texas
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8hairy1 View Post
I haven't found any guidelines like that. In general, the wider or longer a go kart is the less likely it'll flip (rollover) in that direction.

Although a smaller wheel base will help in climbing over larger obstacles.

Ride height and tire size can play just as big of a role in rollover likelihood.

The only thing I've heard about go kart sizing is the front tire stance should be wider than the rear tire stance. I can see this applying more to pavement racing go karts. But I haven't found any info on what percentage or measurable difference it makes. And zero info if it applies to off road go karts.

I'm still in the process of fixing up my go kart. I bought a 55 inch rear axle specifically for the point of testing different rear tire widths. I plan on using an old school torque wrench with the needle display and taking pictures or video to post on here to show the difference it causes in the force needed to turn the steering wheel.

My only 2 cents on the measurements you're planning on using is it seems the tires will stick out quite a ways from the frame body. Definitely look at having supports that come out from the kart to as close as possible to the rear tires to help prevent axle from bending while off roading.

Do you have any sketches you've done of what you're thinking?
I don't have any hills to climb where I'm at, I live in the country a bit, just have dirt roads.

On the rear tires, yeah I'll be beefing it up a bit or may just make the width 36".

Yeah got a sketch, let me see if I can get it uploaded
Attached Thumbnails
20180609_105552.jpg  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Tongue Devil For This Useful Post:
gr8hairy1 (06-09-2018)
  #5  
Old 06-09-2018, 10:02 AM
Silver Tongue Devil Silver Tongue Devil is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Southern Texas
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksonly View Post
sizing; That's a good subject for us DIY people, fabricating up a kart frame you need working dimensions that will fit you?? My off road kart that I'm building, is about 1/2 way finished, It has a wheel base center of 54"inch ( axle center to center) that will fit most any body. The steering wheel center will be 16"inch up from top of seat and 24" inch from the inside seat back to center of steering wheel seat, steering dim. can be + or - 2" The outside dim.of tires is 48" inch so it will fit inside a pickup. weight = drag, torque lost, control, build it light.


cutting, fitting, and welding is your next friend
Sounds like you got it figured out. I plan on driving it everywhere I go so I don't worry about putting it in a pickup.

I'll be using 1" square tubing, 11 gauge which if I recall is about 1/8" thick. Be adding gussets in all corners to give it strength but keep the weight down. I haven't decided if I should put a 420cc or a 670cc on it
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-09-2018, 10:58 AM
anickode's Avatar
anickode anickode is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 1,329
Thanks: 45
Thanked 607 Times in 415 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Tongue Devil View Post
Sounds like you got it figured out. I plan on driving it everywhere I go so I don't worry about putting it in a pickup.

I'll be using 1" square tubing, 11 gauge which if I recall is about 1/8" thick. Be adding gussets in all corners to give it strength but keep the weight down. I haven't decided if I should put a 420cc or a 670cc on it
Depending on your frame design, 11ga 1" tube will be plenty strong, possibly even overkill, even without gussets. In most cases, with either a small frame or a well-designed large frame, 14ga would be sufficient.

Increased wall thickness does less for strength than larger tubing dimension. 16ga 1" mighe be considerably stronger than 11ga 1, without weighing any more.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-09-2018, 11:29 AM
Silver Tongue Devil Silver Tongue Devil is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Southern Texas
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anickode View Post
Depending on your frame design, 11ga 1" tube will be plenty strong, possibly even overkill, even without gussets. In most cases, with either a small frame or a well-designed large frame, 14ga would be sufficient.

Increased wall thickness does less for strength than larger tubing dimension. 16ga 1" mighe be considerably stronger than 11ga 1, without weighing any more.
I'm going to beat the **** out of it. 16 gauge is a little thin, I can weld but I'm sure I'll be blowing holes through the tubing. I'll consider going a light gauge maybe to 14.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:01 AM.