Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Build Contest > Build Off Contest Build Logs

Notices

Old 08-05-2019, 08:23 PM

Worked on the rear shock tonight. I made a quick and dirty mount out of a piece of small tubing and a long bolt and tacked it to the top of the swingarm. Then tried the rear shock from the original 110 cc ATV donor.

I laid out some tubing to hold the seat, and took the frame off the concrete block to see the ride height....

(Fast forward to skip the first load test because the shock was too wimpy and the top hoop caved in because of incomplete tack welds)

Knowing I need a stronger shock, I went for the one with the largest diameter coil. It feels great !

With the shock mounted, I stacked some scraps on the swingarm to help determine the motor plate height.

Note: before I installed the shock I did a full bump test to make sure the motor would not hit the top shock mount. Also did a full droop, and that was not an issue either.

I just eyeballed the motor plate to make the engine about level when I sit in it.

...needs to have about 3 inches above the swingarm on the front and about two inches above the carrier mounting brackets on the back.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Thinking about the chain adjustment and the possibility of using bolts in the back to raise the rear of the motor because the driven sprocket of the TAV is in a good place for raising to tighten the chain.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:37 PM

Here's what I didn't finish tonight...

I chopped up one of the scrap bed rails from the recycler to make my motor mount and floor supports for the seat. See the tan colored angle pieces in the photos.

The motor mount is hinged on the front so the chain tension can be adjusted by raising the rear of the motor.

I plan to add two bolts on the back of the motor plate and make them captive or use some allthread and lock nuts to jack the motor up. I am still figuring out this part, as the pieces are being made. First I have to get the motor in place and check the chain alignment, etc.

Also checking the rear brake caliper and mounting bolts.

I smoked the drill bit in the process of drilling the seat brackets, and called it a night because it was screeching so loud.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:59 PM

So the rear swingarm is centered between the wheels and on the kart frame, but the engine needs to be slightly offset to the right so the driven sprocket of the TAV will line up with the axle sprocket.

Motor attached to the angle iron motor plate.

This shot shows the front and rear mounts on the swingarm before installation. The front mount is not in the final position, so it looks pretty crooked in these two photos. .

Front mount is angle iron with a piece of tubing welded across the top. The motor plate is drilled so this front mount is a pivot.

Rear mount is 1" angle iron that has been drilled for the adjusters made with a bolt and washer welded near the top so the bolt is held captive but can still be turned. The top nut acts as a lock nut and the bottom nut will be welded to the carrier mount bracket. This part will be installed with the adjusting bolts in the vertical direction.

Everything tacked into place with chain on and adjusted.

So this took me longer than making a traditional slotted motor plate, but the vertical adjusters seem to work really well at raising the motor to take the slack out of the chain.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:33 PM

Moving to the front, I have a puzzle to solve with the steering rods. When the front control arms and steering was on the ATV, the steering rod ends just bolted onto the bottom of the steering shaft where there is a butterfly shaped bracket with two holes. Only one hole is visible in the photo below.

I added 12" in between the control arms to make a foot well for the cart, and now I need to add that to the steering linkage. The easiest way would be to just extend the steering rods 6" on each side, but that might add some bump steer. Think that would be critical on a yard kart ?

I am planning to drive it as hard as I can so I am willing to upgrade to a rack and pinion setup if I can find a rack that is about 10"-12" long.

>> Do you know what kind of vehicle may have a rack about that size ? I started looking but have not found any used parts that would work yet.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:58 PM

Made some brackets for the front shock mounts today.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:48 PM

I put in a day's worth of teardown, cutting, welding and wire brushing over 100 welds.

So I had an issue in the front right corner that bugged me enough to cut the welds and re-do them after tweaking that top tube a bit. I didn't want to weld on the top shock mounts until it was right, so here goes...

I had to drop the top tube down about 1/2" and make adjustments to the angle iron tabs for the front suspension.

Flipped the chassis over and laid down some flat tubing so I could put pressure on the frame tubes to complete the welds and straighten the front area of that upper hoop.

Building in a jig would prevent this type of rework... just sayin'.

Using flux core 030 wire because my welder rollers slip on the smaller diameter 023 wire.
Aaaahhh, that's better.

I am pretty sure I used at least 3 pounds of wire, because I went through a couple of partially used spools and into a brand new third one.

Lesson learned: I need to invest a few hours to finish my tubing bender before making the roll bar hoops so I won't have to spend extra time cutting and welding any more bends like I did on the frame... lots of welds.

Old 09-02-2019, 09:13 PM

I put on the floor pan and started on the steering shaft.

The rusty piece of 1x2 tubing is temporary, to hold the steering wheel at the desired height while I work in the upper mount.

I added a short piece of tubing to connect the two shock towers and that was a good place to hang the steering base plate.

Just a quick trial fit to see if the longer front and rear brake hoses will work. This also helps to see what I need to do to mount the master cylinder and pedals.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:53 AM

Working on the brake pedal assembly.

I found this two plunger master cylinder on the interweb and thought it might be a good value. The plungers are adjustable, so the front brakes can be made to engage before the rear... The idea was to be able to hold the just enough pressure on the front brake to do burnouts, but I got to thinking if I wanted to do a "Starsky and Hutch" style slide, the front brakes would have to be totally locked up, so I am not sure this will be as fun to drive as having a truly split brake system.

Right off the bat, I'm not liking the shape of the pedals because they have that goose neck bend that makes them short. These need a trip to the vice for some tweaking.

To put it into perspectve, the pedals dont really stand out now, but will be more noitcible after painting the chassis and floor. The upper steering column mount is some curved metal tubing I got from one of the scrap yard trips.

The master cylinder has 4 ports... one port for each brake line and an extra port for a pressure switch. Of course they sent me a brake light switch that has the wrong thread pitch, so now I have a return part situation or need to find a suitable plug and a longer rear brake hose to finish the brakes if I go this way (strike one).

So I made a mounting bracket to mount to the pipe between the shock towers. This would require a longer rear brake hose (strike 2). Here is the top view with the M/C on the mounting bracket in the most natural location. I am re-using the ATV brake line splitter and can move the lines around for neatness sake.

Also noticed the steering link highlighted in red will be rising up when making a right turn, and may interfere with the brake rod, depending on the final pedal config.

So I will be taking a look at using a front/rear split system to see if I can get that to work with the parts I have on hand...

Old 09-05-2019, 06:13 PM

Ok, so an interesting day today.... I was rummaging through my ATV parts bin to look for that TaoTao 110 rear brake pedal and cylinder, and actually found it. The rear brake (foot operated) is the wrong shape and the cylinder wants to be mounted vertical, and it has no reservoir and a broken cap where the fluid is supposed to be sealed in. That is kind of a bust, but in less than 10 minutes, I had some answers on what I want to do with the rear brake.

I ordered a longer hose for now, but I do have a new, remote reservoir rear brake cylinder that would work perfectly in a horizontal mount like I would make for a drift brake kind of installation. I guess that could be a stage 2 mod after I get it all together and running.

Lots of detail follows but here is a photo to keep your interest.

...and finally, a breakthrough on the rear axle/rear tire situation. On week 2 of my build, i bought a scrappy Yamaha 350 warrior frame and tire set. I was trying to see if the rear tires could be adapted to fit on the Peace Sports 3 lug rear hubs. No, that wont work at all.

So it was pretty frustrating because the rear tires I have been trying to use are just not working out. The other day I stepped on one of the valve stems and caused a leak in the left rear, and I had damaged the bead on the right rear while installing a tube, so that one is way out of round and dangerous to consider using it. Also the rear axle needs to be a foot wider since I added that much space to the front end with the kart frame.

Then I checked the Yamaha axle again... it's wide enough and has great wheels but would require lots of rework to use, but the hubs.. hmmm the hubs have 24 splines.

Oh, shoot my kart axle is 23 splines.

Heres a comparison of the tires and hubs I have to work with...

I found the Taotao 110 rim had a 23 spline hub with a 110x4 bolt pattern (only have one of them though) and I verified that 23 spline hub fits the axle I am using in the kart. The Yamaha rims like the 110x4 bolt pattern but has a 24 spline hub.... so I went online and found me a pair of matched 23 spline 110x4 hubs and a couple of 2" spacers and think the rear end will be within a fraction of an inch once I get these hubs and spacers on the axle and the Yamaha rims and tires on my kart.

Oh, happy day !

Old 09-06-2019, 06:41 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

Ouch, that's a bad day!
Old 09-07-2019, 04:50 PM

Seroiusly, I was happy to get through all that and to find the rims had favorable backspacing. I re-measured and need 3" on each side (measure twice and buy once, right?)

Here's how it should look, but it's still on a block. I have a set of spacers on order.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gegcorp2012 For This Useful Post:
landuse (09-09-2019), vybrano (09-13-2019)