Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Build Contest > Build Off Contest Build Logs

Notices

Old 07-24-2019, 07:36 PM

Looks like it is bending on the short side... is there any support there, or just the bolts that hold it to the angle iron ? A block underneath the "pillow strap" may give you some extra miles.

Yah, the force when accelerating is "pulling" that Jack shaft towards the wheel axle and that short side of the pillow strap has no support except the bolts/nuts near the holes.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:25 AM

A few updates:

The kids are putting the miles on and only a few minor issues so far....but they are burning through tanks of gas pretty quick just tootling around the neighborhood.

My daughter used a GPS speedo app and measured 30mph! I was expecting 22 based on my calculations, but it is possible the engine is turning a bit faster than the governed spec. I have a spare tach/speedo, but since it requires 12V it will be a small project to add it.

The bolts holding the wheels to the hubs like to back out, so they now check them regularly and have added lock washers. One set was completely gone and ended up shearing the bolts holding the sprocket to the wheel. We chose to go up a size on the bolts from M5-M6 so hopefully it can withstand the torque.

The front seat bolt is tearing out from the torque, so we added a fender washer to hold it down.....along with lock washers on all three seat bolts.

The brakes are starting to squeak as they bed in. These new calipers have adjustment screws, but our spacers put them all the way in. We may shorten the spacers so we can get within the range of the caliper adjustment.

Finally, both kids (12yo Son and 16yo Daughter), are loving it so much that they are handling the fixes themselves. I was skeptical since I did 90% of the build work, but they definitely appreciate doing what it takes to keep it on the street (or the sidewalk in this case).

Oh, and the boy now says it is too slow. Contemplating buying a 2nd Predator and going full bore with cam, piston, flywheel, etc. Would love to get some sick RPM/speed out of it. Of course, changing the gearing would be lots easier.
The Following User Says Thank You to snowjob For This Useful Post:
Hellion (07-31-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 08:00 AM

Thanked 3,408 Times in 2,777 Posts

Thanks for the update!!! It is great to hear your kids are loving it
Old 07-30-2019, 02:59 PM

A few more break/fix updates.

The torque converter bolt going into the end of the crankshaft only had 1/4" of thread engagement. It promptly stripped off the threads and boogered the crank. We have now cleaned up the crank threads and are using a much longer bolt. We now have just under 1" of thread engagement.

We shortened the caliper spacers so we could use the built in adjusters.

The bolts for the bearing carriers came loose without lock washers. They are all now retightened and one side has lock washers (the other side will get done when we have to take it apart next).

The hub was poorly welded to the keyed spacer, so I drilled some holes between the two and inserted some steel rod to act as a key. I then welded the rod in place.

It now runs quieter, smoother and starts/stops better than ever. My sons cousin is visiting the next few days, so I am sure it will get a workout.

.......oh and I nearly forgot, the Police stopped by for a visit. They were very cordial, but responding to a complaint. They showed me the local ordinance and we determined the kids are 100% legal riding on the sidewalk and yielding to pedestrians. The kids are now carrying copies of the ordinance with them just in case anyone questions them.

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Oops, and blue loctite! We used this on the brake rotor screws and replaced a few with capscrews so we could get better torque on the bolts.
The Following User Says Thank You to snowjob For This Useful Post:
Hellion (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 01:00 PM

Saga continues. Got a call from the police minutes after my son went for a ride yesterday. They are not sure whether a go-kart is legal as it could be classified as either a play vehicle (allowed) or an off-road vehicle (prohibited). Though the complainant requested to remain anonymous, we plan to canvas the neighborhood to find them and inquire what concerns they have. I have to bite my tongue as cannot respect someone too cowardly to approach us directly. Hopefully this won't completely throw away all the good work done to get us to this point.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:48 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,325 Times in 1,080 Posts

That's completely gutsy to be using the sidewalks as your roadway and to have been found in compliance (at one time at least) by the local law enforcement. Now you're finding you're probably going to be barred from the sidewalks (as it should be, sadly). You were getting away with murder.

You knew you were taking your chances as sidewalks are for pedestrian and non-powered traffic usage with the exception of electric wheelchairs, etc.

But your former situation (a free pass) is out of the norm for most of us because we use the roads and know we're not street legal.

Your raspy, raucous exhaust note might have helped spell your doom as well.
If it was an electric go kart, you may have had no complaints.

You can get battery powered digital tachs that run off an induction wire. No need for a 12V source (that's nuts). I use the cheap Chinese ones off ebay but you can spend more money for better ones.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:42 AM

He interviewed everyone on the street and nobody fessed up. He has started riding again, but avoiding the street with the complainant. No major breaks until yesterday. We disconnected the governor and on first startup the governor shaft spring clip came off, the shaft fell into the engine and seized it. On teardown, it doesn't seem too bad, so I am removing all governor related parts and sealing the holes they will leave. We will see how it runs on reassembly. I am also considering getting a spare engine. I am also trying to convince him it is now time to paint since we will have it nearly fully torn down.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:39 PM

Thanked 3,408 Times in 2,777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjob View Post
He interviewed everyone on the street and nobody fessed up. He has started riding again, but avoiding the street with the complainant. No major breaks until yesterday. We disconnected the governor and on first startup the governor shaft spring clip came off, the shaft fell into the engine and seized it. On teardown, it doesn't seem too bad, so I am removing all governor related parts and sealing the holes they will leave. We will see how it runs on reassembly. I am also considering getting a spare engine. I am also trying to convince him it is now time to paint since we will have it nearly fully torn down.
This is why we usually recommend taking out all the governor internals and not just bypassing it. I am glad you didn't have much damage
Old 08-16-2019, 01:39 PM

Default 2019 - DuroPower (El Cheapo) Resurrection

Hopefully this is the last tear down. We agreed on a paint scheme, engine upgrades, steering improvements and rubber mounted controls. We’ll see if it all gets done next week.

BTW, anyone wanna buy a Ducati ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2019, 02:20 PM

New engine in. A bit of paint and a few tweaks. Now to buy some billet stuff for the original engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk