Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Build Contest > Build Off Contest Build Logs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landuse View Post
Very slick!!! You did a great job on this build. One of the cleaner and more professional ones I've seen
Thank you sir!
Old 10-11-2018, 09:02 AM

I am curious about your brake caliper. I noticed in one of your pics that you have the bleeders on the bottom and your lines on the top. I have same set up with dual lines. Maybe that why I canít get them to bleed. Any info on this. Or how did you bleed them. Thanks.

I am building the other barstool in the contest.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead View Post
I am curious about your brake caliper. I noticed in one of your pics that you have the bleeders on the bottom and your lines on the top. I have same set up with dual lines. Maybe that why I canít get them to bleed. Any info on this. Or how did you bleed them. Thanks.

I am building the other barstool in the contest.
I reverse bled and pushed fluid up through the master cylinder. They were a royal pain to bleed the conventional way. Even with reverse bleeding it took quite a bit of time to clear all the air.

I see you are using an MCP master cylinder. That should be a little bit easier than the hand lever master cylinder I used. I had to use shims behind the brake pads on the billet caliper because the hand lever master cylinder does not have enough displacement to move the pads a bunch. The cast caliper you are using is easier if this happens because it has adjustment screws.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBone For This Useful Post:
bighead (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBone View Post
I reverse bled and pushed fluid up through the master cylinder. They were a royal pain to bleed the conventional way. Even with reverse bleeding it took quite a bit of time to clear all the air.

I see you are using an MCP master cylinder. That should be a little bit easier than the hand lever master cylinder I used. I had to use shims behind the brake pads on the billet caliper because the hand lever master cylinder does not have enough displacement to move the pads a bunch. The cast caliper you are using is easier if this happens because it has adjustment screws.
That’s what I am going to try. What about the bleeders on bottom. I always thought bleeders on top. But I did see one vid where guy said check with manufacturers. So I was just wondering. Thanks man.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead View Post
Thatís what I am going to try. What about the bleeders on bottom. I always thought bleeders on top. But I did see one vid where guy said check with manufacturers. So I was just wondering. Thanks man.
Normally yes, bleeders on top. But with reverse bleeding it doesn't matter. Really, as long as the master cylinder is above the height of the caliper then it can be bled either way. I put my bleeders on bottom for two reasons. One, it does not put my brake lines at a hard angle. Two, it keeps my brake likes away from the ground.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBone For This Useful Post:
bighead (10-12-2018)
Old 02-26-2019, 06:37 AM

What size sprocket and chain did you run? #35, #40/41? I'm getting ready to build one and may be pinging you for support...
Closed Thread