Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Build Contest > Build Off Contest Build Logs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 05:01 PM
Can't buy it?, build it!

Wait we have to complete with a school project where he has access to several students helping him? And possibly a teacher coaching during the build. i guess it wasn't in rules on amount of support you have. Time to call in support i guess on my project. thankfully i work in a manufacturing company, as an engineer not a mechanic. but maybe i could contact mech engineer to help. Maybe i add a some computer system/navigation/remote control maybe? hard to compete against everyone.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,954 Times in 2,300 Posts

OOOOOOOKAY.....Well...we're supposed to level the playing field????

HOW ABOUT THAT?

You want to compete against an aged , unemployed carpenter in poor health, and PULL THE POBOY CARD?

Are you friggin kidding me? You obviously have WAY more money and resources at your disposal.....how YOU choose to use them is a personal choice....not something ALL of us have access to.

Don't whine to me....we can figure it all out in the end anyway....
The Following User Says Thank You to Poboy kartman For This Useful Post:
not_a_bot (07-05-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Can't buy it?, build it!

I have no money. But intelligent resources yes. I'm only working by myself. I was only mentioning this project has like a team of students working on it.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:35 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,954 Times in 2,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pRoFiT View Post
I have no money.
B.S. One or the other is a LIE! You have a JOB....as an ENGINEER....in a manufacturing plant.....YOU HAVE MONEY!

What you chose to do with it is YOUR PROBLEM....(Probably live in a half million dollar house and drive a Mercedes) .....but HAVE to buy HF wheels....

RIGHT.....lay off the wine cellar stocking....or the Country Club membership...gimme a break....you aren't broke....just a spendthrift...and you'll get no sympathy here....

Talk about someone with NO MONEY......a Mexican student!
The Following User Says Thank You to Poboy kartman For This Useful Post:
not_a_bot (07-05-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 10:44 PM
Tinkerer

Woah woah. I can see how mentioning the equipment and that teacher could seem like an unfair advantage. To be fair, it's pretty beaten up from generations of students learning how to use them, and most of the times, we mess up at some point. And yeah, the teacher I mentioned knows his thing, yet remember we are studying industrial design, which is pretty unrelated to engineering. Engineers make things that work, and we make them usable to the regular folks, often prettifying it too.
That's what called me to make this: we really don't dab in the mechanical/functional part of contraptions, yet I felt confident enough to give it a go. I kinda got all the help I could get (intellectually speaking only, the girls and I provided all of the sweating and elbow grease, there were 2 of em, both with little to no fab skills, and our other classmates were busy with their own stuff so yeah), yet we barely finished in time, and while it rolled, lots of issues that only appear once you actually test it, came up.
I'm not proud to say this, but this project is rusting under a tent on my neighbor's garage, I have a terrible lack of time (out of school, yet working on our small family business), because with as time consuming this thing was, the quantity of stuff to fix/clean at home piled up. Heck, just a couple of hours ago I finished restoring/fixing an air compressor I started with before this trike.
Rebuilding my social life is time consuming too lol. And whenever I get free time, I realize I can't do much really, for I have yet to order my TCs belt and bushing. A PITA because shops charge just to much for internationally shipping a tiny bronze bushing that can't weight over 100 grams. Paired with the fact that apparently just about any event in any part of the world makes the Mexican peso further devaluate, I rather spend my cash buying materials and supply for my home's many fixes, than on something I really have no use for at the moment, and at high prices.
Heck, its not finished yet according to this contest's rules! Who knows if it will be by the time this contest comes to an end.

I first came to this forum because of the useful information I saw, and the nice community that valued one's actions rather than words. Asked for advice, and I was stoked at the level of responses people had, many used to successfully design and implement this project, and for that I'm very grateful. Actually, my entry in this contest was per several members telling me I should. Why wouldn't I listen to these folks who had done nothing but help me out? So there's that. And I don't know if you skipped some posts, but pretty much everything but the engine, TC and raw materials, are second hand. One of my front tires is already dead, I knew it had little life left when I got em, but our budget was tight.

The point of this rant is: if the mods/users feel I had unfair advantage, then I should be disqualified. While sad, this is not what I joined this forum. Initially, I joined to get help and advice, and plenty was had, now I've decided to stick around to try and be somewhat helpful when possible. I've been absent though, for the reasons mentioned. BTW, I really appreciate PoBoy's interjection, though I hate to be the source of friction, there really is no need. Plus, the other entries are way cooler and better put together. I'll await my verdict, and whatever that might be, I'll be around until asked otherwise.

Edited the bejesus out of this post, as it was written on my phone. Sorry for any mistakes I looked over.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:04 PM
ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ

Thanked 3,076 Times in 2,398 Posts

You had no unfair advantage. You did a fine job. and please do not let 1 whiny, broke, engineer, change your opinion of this forum. You have no reason to defend yourself. You and you build are no cause of friction. Just because 1 guy who refers to himself as a "junk builder" blew his mouth off. and anyway I hope he was joking its hard to tell with engineers that spend their days behind a desk!
We still like you
Old 07-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Can't buy it?, build it!

@not_a_bot, great build so far. The inspiration kart you have was something l saw as well and originally thought about making something similar. I was only joking with the amount of help you had. Seemed like other forum members joke a lot with members so i thought i was acting the same? chancer and poboy make it sound like i'm some rich douche trying to kick you out of a contest, where the winner gets ? i dont even know what we get, i think nothing but the honor of winning.

@poboy, Sorry. I purchased an 85k house in Fresno. Drive a 2001 Tahoe (yah gas cost maybe high on it). Yes engineer not making what i should make. Supporting family of 3 on my job only. Maybe i could allocate my money better and purchase the parts needed. But with my debt and income i do need to nickle and dime my project.

@chancer, yes maybe i do spend waaay too much time behind a desk. And my joking might be to harsh? At least thats what my wife tells me. I still don't see how my comment made you upset? Was only joking with competition.

@not_a_bot, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico? sweet. We work with Jabil manufacturing out there. Might have to travel there for a project. Is it safe for Americans right now?

I had to opt out of a Reynosa, Mexico trip. too much drug running going on out there. My last boss used to live in brownsville TX and working in mexico, until he had his truck all shot up. now he lives in fresno. He said is was not safe anymore to work near the border towns. I dont trust everything he says but ill take my chances with this one and not go to Reynosa.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:16 PM
G'me sumthin to write on

Guadalajara is a beautiful city. I would not be afraid to return there.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:47 PM
ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ

Thanked 3,076 Times in 2,398 Posts

Right on Profit! Thanks, I hoped you were joking.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:18 AM

Thanked 3,408 Times in 2,777 Posts

You can have as much help as you want on your build. You can even hire a team of NASA engineers if you want. At the end of the day it is the build that the forum members vote for that is going to win, not how many people helped. Members aren't stupid. We will vote for the build that we think most deserving

My 2c anyway......
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
chancer (07-06-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 08:56 AM
Death by misfortune

Very nice build but DUDE seriously? You really need a better engine, at least a 200 cc motorcycle engine would have looked better then a POS rototiller putter. Really ruins the look. But kudos to the frame and design aspects.