Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Announcements & Suggestions > Introduce Yourself!

Notices

Old 04-28-2019, 09:42 AM
4WD Karts

Default 4WD Karts

Hello to all. I noticed a few folks are interested in 4WD Karts. I built my first one in 1978 and been building them ever since. I have extensive knowledge on how to make them and what works. I will be opening a Kart shop in Las Cruces, NM this summer called Cross City Karts. If anyone needs help with a 4WD Kart project please let me know. Thanks to all who read.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:07 AM

Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,437 Posts

Hello and welcome...
Sounds cool..
Howabout you start a thread, showing off one of you rides you built...
Old 04-28-2019, 12:33 PM
Currently flathead-crazed

Finally! An expert!
Old 04-28-2019, 08:30 PM
2018 Buildoff Winner ! 😎😎

Why do I feel like this is a dejavue type scenario here. Just with a different screen name !
Old 04-28-2019, 10:31 PM
The great cornholio

I’m genuinely interested in seeing an example of a functional 4wd kart.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:21 PM
4WD Karts

Default 4WD Karts

Hello to all. I don't have any pictures yet of our first new 4WD Kart. They are a completely new design from the older ones. However, we are ordering parts mainly for the engine to driveshaft components. This is a critical area due to packaging. There are several components to fit in a small area behind the drivers seat. So far we have the engine and the transmission components. We build our transmissions from scratch. Our next purchase will be the clutch and driven pulley. Then we'll get the frame tubing to start making the frame while using the components mock up to ensure everything fits as planned. I will post pics in about a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
Hello and welcome...
Sounds cool..
Howabout you start a thread, showing off one of you rides you built...
Old 05-12-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDKarts View Post
Hello to all. I don't have any pictures yet of our first new 4WD Kart. They are a completely new design from the older ones. However, we are ordering parts mainly for the engine to driveshaft components. This is a critical area due to packaging. There are several components to fit in a small area behind the drivers seat. So far we have the engine and the transmission components. We build our transmissions from scratch. Our next purchase will be the clutch and driven pulley. Then we'll get the frame tubing to start making the frame while using the components mock up to ensure everything fits as planned. I will post pics in about a month.

...but, "without pics, it didn't happen"

We would be interested in any 4wd karts/parts (70's, 80's, 90's, 2,000's)
...maybe post pics of some of the stuff you have done before

or

How about some doodles, conceptual drawings etc.
...of what you have assembled so far (on this "new" kart)
Old 05-19-2019, 01:24 PM
4WD Karts

Default Willing to Help Others Build a 4WD Kart

Hello to all!!

I know many people want drawings of my Karts that are 4WD. I can't share any drawings, but I can share pictures with everyone. Reason for not sharing drawings is for proprietary reasons. However, as soon as I start building I will post picks.

I noticed a person mentioned this could be an old user with a different screen name. Please put your fears away I'm not that person. I am completely new to this forum.

What I'd like to do here in this forum is to be a "person to go ask" about your own 4WD Kart project or maybe you have thought about it but not sure where to start.

Thanks

Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to 4WDKarts For This Useful Post:
JTSpeedDemon (05-19-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Hello to all!!

I know many people want drawings of my Karts that are 4WD. I can't share any drawings, but I can share pictures with everyone. Reason for not sharing drawings is for proprietary reasons. However, as soon as I start building I will post picks.

I noticed a person mentioned this could be an old user with a different screen name. Please put your fears away I'm not that person. I am completely new to this forum.

What I'd like to do here in this forum is to be a "person to go ask" about your own 4WD Kart project or maybe you have thought about it but not sure where to start.

Thanks

Tom
Proprietary? OK (I guess)

So where are your pics?
...but, wait wouldn't they expose the "proprietary" stuff?

How can you be a "person to ask"?
...so, far we don't even know (have no evidence) if you have ever built a kart.

OK, I'ma gonna ask, what do you recommend or use on a 4WD kart?
...(2) live axles, dual differentials or all (4) wheels powered individually? (aka (4) "wheel peel")
...gas or electric powered?
...single propulsion unit or multiple?
...shaft drive or belt/chain driven?
950speed (05-20-2019), Joe-405 (05-20-2019), Kartorbust (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 06:05 PM
4WD Karts

I'm not interested in hearing from none believers. Don't reply again!
The Following User Says Thank You to 4WDKarts For This Useful Post:
Flyinhillbilly (05-23-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 06:46 PM

Haha reminds me of some jolly old man in a red suit LOL
Old 05-20-2019, 07:09 PM
4WD Karts

Default Does Anyone Have Any Intelligents Here?

Santa is a good designer! I'd follow some things he says.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

I'm only going to listen to smartass remarks to me for a short period of time thinking that there be are people who really want to know. If you continue to say BS then I'll exit an you can go figure it out on your own.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:45 PM

I would not want to hear remarks as such either, In fact nobody would I don’t think. Now if your saying what I said was a smart #** remark, then I sincerely apologize, it was said to add a bit of humor!!

On here we really like our karts, and 4wd now that’s something you don’t see every day on a kart, I think just about all of us are anxious to see the pictures when your ready!!! Here on this forum we really like our pictures, I found that out pretty fast too!!

Looking forward to seeing your projects!!
Old 05-20-2019, 07:49 PM

Probably would of been better to post when you actually had images or content to go with your OP. The way you did it makes it sound like marketing more than anything. We love our pics and build threads!
Old 05-20-2019, 08:15 PM

I am interested in seeing what you designed. Sometimes it would be nice to have four wheel or all wheel drive. Granted it's not the hardest thing to do, but not easy either. However, keeping it a close guarded "trade secret", really does a disservice to people interested. Thinking it'll give others an advantage...if that's the case, build something better. Trying to find plans, how-tos, etc for gearbox designs or anything really kart related, is a huge pain. Really your only competitor would be Chinese firms who just steal the idea and claim as their own, but it's a poor knock off.

I get it, your starting a business to build these things. However, would you instead be interested in selling just the gearboxes vs the whole package? You could make more money selling the parts that are sought after, vs a whole kart.
950speed (05-20-2019), Flyinhillbilly (05-23-2019), JTSpeedDemon (05-21-2019), mckutzy (05-20-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 12:22 AM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,768 Posts

Quote:
Hello to all!!

Thanks

Tom
OK, so I am now asking you about your designs. What do they look like? What sort of transmission are you thinking of?

Throw us a bone! You cannot come onto the forum and say "ask me about my projects" and then don't say a word when you are actually asked.

We get that you don't have pics at the moment,but that doesn't stop you from describing what you are thinking of doing, what your transmission will entail, parts you are going to use etc.

It would be nice to have someone with the knowledge that you have on the forum, but that knowledge needs to be shares a bit. You have ideas in your head. Share them. You don't need to show us anything yet, all you need to share are your thoughts and ideas
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
Functional Artist (05-21-2019), Kartorbust (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 07:16 AM
4WD Karts

Default 4WD Drive Train

The first 4WD kart I built in 1978 at age 15 was a real learner kart. In other words I learned a lot about the torque required to actually drive four tires. I soon figured out that the drive ratio required was not that of normal karting. The required ratio is about 21:1. So, let's take a 6.5 Hp engine. At 3600 rpm the most torque the engine can put out is 6.5x5252/3600=9.48 ft-lbs. With a ratio of 21:1 this comes out to be 21x12x9.48 = 2389 in-lbs of torque. The drive axles must be able to handle this amount of torque at a minimum.

I'll continue this later. Got to go to work.

I very much appreciate your comments!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4WDKarts For This Useful Post:
Flyinhillbilly (05-23-2019), JTSpeedDemon (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 09:55 AM

Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,437 Posts

Quote:
The first 4WD kart I built in 1978 at age 15 was a real learner kart. In other words I learned a lot about the torque required to actually drive four tires. I soon figured out that the drive ratio required was not that of normal karting. The required ratio is about 21:1. So, let's take a 6.5 Hp engine. At 3600 rpm the most torque the engine can put out is 6.5x5252/3600=9.48 ft-lbs. With a ratio of 21:1 this comes out to be 21x12x9.48 = 2389 in-lbs of torque. The drive axles must be able to handle this amount of torque at a minimum.

I'll continue this later. Got to go to work.

I very much appreciate your comments!!

But this would be the math for your kart...

What is the OD of the Tire?? and what is the Kart? transmission/Gearbox.. what???

Why so cryptic about This??....
Old 05-21-2019, 12:11 PM

Look I know you are tired of sarcastic, negative remarks but here me out.

I would love to have an expert about 4WD karts, I always have dreamt of one, but I have suspicion to doubt you. I don't want to call you out on this, but pretending to be an expert is just plain scummy(if you are, which I don't know yet). I still believe you built this, and if you can pull up any evidence this 4WD kart exists, I'll forget all this.

If it was REALLY proprietary, well what is there to be proprietary? The 4WD mechanism has been around in dozens of configurations for near a century now. I doubt there is black Magic powering this thing, because if there was you should probably tell the Jeep crowd about it. Regardless, none of the people here could likely replicate your technology just from a photo, since none of us have CNC/Laser/Metal printers at our disposal.

No photos? Well I mean no frame or any documentation? You lost every photo and documentation and the original kart in 78. Also completely possible but fishy.

And the gearing? Well still not much. It seems written more like a suggestion than a "I did it". 21:1 does sound right though. A bit more information like the differential? Was it a lawnmower (peerless) or a car one? If so, which brand? CV axles? Did it have suspension. How is the steering handled? 21" tires, how was the off-roading performance? Top speed?

I completely agree with mckutzy, it's all cryptic and I really want this to all be true, I really do but if it's some troll behind 4WDKarts pretending they have built one and haven't, nor have any experience behind it, well I'm going to be ****ed.
Functional Artist (05-21-2019), Kartorbust (05-21-2019), mckutzy (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 07:51 PM
4WD Karts

Default 4WD Kart Questions & My Qualifications

Hello to all,

I thought I might start out by saying or maybe reminding some who have read my profile. I'm a Mechanical Engineer, with a Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering. I worked a Cummins Engine, Rolls-Royce Gas Turbine(Jet Engines) and Caterpillar (cylinder pack engineering). I was a design engineer all my career and have 6 patients. I started working on engines when I was 12 yrs old. My Father taught me how to weld at 13. My oldest brother had a Bridgeport Milling Machine. All of that was the beginning of the first 4WD kart. At the time I lived in the Midwest. In January of 1978 we had a huge blizzard. It is now known as the Blizzard of 78. I told my brother that the neighbor and I can ride our Karts, but we can't get through the snow. He said, why don't you build one that is 4WD? I said, you got my brain thinking. I was a total dumbass to the idea. Where do I start. What do I need. What does this thing even look like. I. I was dumbfounded. Ok, I'm 15 yrs old I can do this! I found a couple of gearboxes off of one of my Dad's old fertilizer spreader beds that use to be on a truck. So happen, all spreader beds at that time were PTO driven off the truck transmission. What I found on it was GOLD. The first thing it had was two T transmissions. 90 degree gearboxes with 1:1 gearing and two outputs. I believe this might answer one of the questions a member had? You have to go with front and rear differentials. Be careful though because cost becomes an issue quickly. Look at the Surplus Center in Lincoln Nebraska for cheap prices on gearboxes. Once I got the gearboxes off, cleaned them up an all that I rebuilt them for the kart. The front steering is a tricky thing. You have to transfer a lot of torque in what you find out is a very small area. What happens is this. You figure out that the longer the U joint the further your tires are out, and the harder it steers. Oh no this is a huge problem! Not really!! Think of it this way. How much are you going to use the 4WD? What condition/s? It's going to be messy when you do or the other fact is you might be pulling something. The messy thing is not a problem. We use to use the 92 kart to pull cars in and out of my Brothers shop. The problem was you could hardly steer it. I had an old Briggs 10 on it from the 1960's that really put out the torque. I could pull cars. Take the Hay wagon back over the hill where we stored it. Put the 60" snow blade onn an plow the neighbors driveway. One thing that happens is when you really put the petal to the metal is it tries to take the steering wheel out of your hands. This is do to the quadrive. The front tires can bit intermittent and because each one pulls one can always get a better bit than the other. This gives the operator a challenge.

The front U Joints are extremely important to the whole front drive axle. They pretty much rule the roast when it comes to the front drive design. The 78 kart used Snap-On impact, 1/2" drive, 3/4" socket swivel. They were used because off compactness and toughness. What happens is when the ujoint is to long the kart gets too wide and it becomes harder to steer.

Ok enough for now. Oh, look in Stock Car steering for ujoints. You will find very tough and compact ones there.

Next I'll go through transmission, the shaft drive, gearboxes and center driveshaft.

Thanks, and hope this answers some questions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4WDKarts For This Useful Post:
ezcome-ezgo (05-22-2019), JTSpeedDemon (05-22-2019), Tpdingo (05-22-2019)