Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Photo Gallery & Project Log

Notices

Old 02-24-2019, 07:03 PM
MacGyver

Default #31 Steering, seat, safety harness, and side panels/strake

The first thing I did this morning was to reinstall the steering rack and hook it up to the steering wheel. I also installed the new spindles as the old ones were worn completely out and had way too much play in them. It took a bit as the spindles were slightly different than the ones that were on there originally so it took some tweaking to get everything lined up right. The kart ought to be really stable as it has an incredibly wide stance. Now that all the chassis wiring is done, I installed the seat. That posed some challenges as it was too low and was hitting the kill box so I had to shim it up just a smidge. Another challenge was putting the lower mounts in for the safety harness. It was a tight fit. It took a bit to get it sorted, but it's all good now. You can also see one of the "sides" that will be riveted on to hopefully improve its aerodynamics. I meant to take some pictures of how I measured it and cut it out, but I forgot LOL! I'm using a thick aluminum trim coil (left over from the house project) It's white on one side and charcoal gray on the other. Since the white will be facing inward on the kart, I shot it with some of the same color the frame is painted. It will dry over night, and tomorrow I can install it on the kart, then once I have it all riveted in, I will shoot the outside with some color. From the side of the kart, you can see all the wiring is tidied up real nice and routed away from any heat sources. In the last pic, the only thing left to do in the back is to bleed the brakes and touch up the paint where I scratched it here and there as I was assembling the kart.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190224_183756.jpg   IMG_20190224_183559.jpg  

IMG_20190224_183843.jpg   IMG_20190224_183958.jpg  

IMG_20190224_184009.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacGyvers Workshop For This Useful Post:
ezcome-ezgo (02-25-2019), landuse (02-24-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 07:45 AM

This thing is going to be fast!
Old 02-25-2019, 08:39 PM
MacGyver

Default #32 Side skin

I don't have a lot of time to spend during the week, but tonight I got one side skinned up and shot a coat of paint on it. I will have trim to hide the edges later. It also extends down below the kart to control airflow underneath the kart at speed. It also directs air between the heat shield and the motor to aid in cooling.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190225_185607.jpg   IMG_20190225_185633.jpg  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacGyvers Workshop For This Useful Post:
ezcome-ezgo (02-26-2019), landuse (02-25-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 07:02 PM
MacGyver

Default #33 Making it look good!

So while the paint was drying on the backside of the other side panel, I couldn't resist putting the foam wrap and go fast stickers on the driver side (you know, it's a proven fact that they are good for at least 50 horsepower!).
I also drilled the steering wheel for the shifter switches. Man I was sweating bullets because of the funky angle the spokes were, I had to manually hold the wheel while I was drilling the 9/16 hole! I didn't want to screw the wheel up!
All in all it came out well. After I soldered the wires on very gently, as if you get too much heat on the pin, the switch starts to melt! I glued the switches into the wheel with clear 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Man that is some serious stuff! The last pic looks kind of hinky I know, but because of the funky angle the wheel spokes are at, I had to get pressure on those switches any way I could.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190226_184058.jpg   IMG_20190226_191121.jpg  

IMG_20190226_191129.jpg   IMG_20190226_191136.jpg  

Old 02-27-2019, 08:25 PM
MacGyver

Default #34 Steering wheel, air deflector and side panel

So today I finished up the steering wheel, wiring up the shifter switches. I had to be careful so that the wires can turn with the wheel from lock to lock without binding. Then I installed the other side skin and shot it with some paint. While the paint is drying, I took a picture underneath to show the air deflector I installed to direct air from underneath the kart, up through the heat shield and out the back of the kart, helping keep the temperature down around the exhaust header which is right behind the seat.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190227_072620.jpg   IMG_20190227_200947.jpg  

IMG_20190227_200346.jpg   IMG_20190227_200407.jpg  

IMG_20190227_201008.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to MacGyvers Workshop For This Useful Post:
landuse (02-28-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 12:00 PM
MacGyver

The last pic of it before taking it off the lift.

So after taking the kart out this morning for a quick shakedown run, I'm guessing we need to rethink the GoPro mount LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190302_123051.jpg   IMG_20190302_093149.jpg  

Mavaholic (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 08:06 PM
MacGyver

In case you didn't infer from my last post where I took the kart out for it's initial shakedown run, it is INSANELY quick! My friends GoPro mount just bent completely backwards from the acceleration so unfortunately the only video I got was of cloudy sky LOL! The weather is crap here in TN this week so y'all will have to wait until it warms up a bit before I can get a video posted. My friend shot some phone video of me, but it was not very good so stay tuned!

MacGyver
ezcome-ezgo (03-05-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 11:44 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,768 Posts

Fast is always nice!!!
Old 03-09-2019, 09:49 PM
MacGyver

Default #35 Steering modifications

There wasn't enough negative caster to lift the inside rear wheel in the corners, so I had to make my own adjustable spindle mounts. The spindles are a tad over 2.5 inches. I cut up some metal, and did some rather ugly welding LOL! but now I can adjust both camber and caster on the front spindles. After doing some research, it looks like 8 degrees of negative caster is a good place to start. I'll let everyone know how it did once all the flood waters here in TN recede LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190309_135836.jpg   IMG_20190309_165402.jpg  

IMG_20190309_141530.jpg   IMG_20190309_165433.jpg  

IMG_0742.JPG  
Old 03-19-2019, 09:02 PM
MacGyver

Default #36 The post everyone has been waiting for!

I wish the video quality was better. The first shakedown run just bent the GoPro mount back under acceleration and shot nothing but sky. I built a fixed mount for my Canon HD handheld, abd used it for the 2nd test run, but that was a bad idea as well, too much vibration. When I do my next run I'll use a helmet mount for the GoPro, and hopefully my neighbor will get some aerial footage with his DJI Phantom drone! But for now, here is what I have. You have to click the play button, the video will not auto start.

1st run;
https://www.nhkcloud.com/index.php/s/Lj6QBu37talxY2g

2nd run;

https://www.nhkcloud.com/index.php/s/VDKWu8Wf4gwbfvO

Thanks for following my build! Check out my YouTube channel;
www.youtube.com/mapaladini

This summer we will chronicle both kart builds, and hopefully, I will be doing an exhibition with the kart at the Georgia Sprint Kart Association in Barnesville, GA sometime in April or May if the planets align correctly LOL! Here is their website;

https://thegska.com
Old 03-20-2019, 06:46 AM
G'me sumthin to write on

Barnesville, with an E. Nice folks down there.
MacGyvers Workshop (03-20-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 04:27 AM
MacGyver

Default Much better video of a test run!

I was finally able to get some good video of a test run. I still have some work to do on adjusting the steering geometry, but we'll get there eventually.
Here is a link to the playlist on YouTube If you care to follow the video series as the videos are released;

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Xl2Pv5-ouC_omT

Here is a link to a much better video of the test run, I was hoping my friend could get some video with his drone, but something went wrong and he didn't get anything we could use (make sure you press the play button!);

https://www.nhkcloud.com/index.php/s/NLWR1S8KlzIAbC9
landuse (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 07:59 AM
Pro Junk Collector

Those are some sketchy looking spindle brackets, especially with that much power...
landuse (03-27-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 06:47 AM
MacGyver

I admit, they aren't exactly elegant looking, but they are very strong and overbuilt. The rural road in front of my house is very rough, and makes for a pretty rough ride, but they hold their adjustment and have not exhibited any evidence of stress or flexing. I would have loved to start with a proper shifter kart chassis, but it wasn't possible in this case. Plus I saw it as a challenge to practically build it from scratch and make it safe and handle well.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:37 AM
MacGyver

Default Latest News

Been away a bit, been really busy...
So, After talking to Bob Barthelemy, of the Georgia Sprint Karting Association, He was nice enough to let us be a go at the Lamar County Speedway in Barnesville, GA on May 11. Hope the weather holds out. We will get a little track time to test and tune early in the morning before all the real racers get on there to practice (those folks are the real masters of the craft! Those karts are built with aircraft precision, it's amazing) The kids can get to see an insane Gixxer kart up close and personal, and maybe they will let us do a little smoke show and burn through a set of rear tires who knows LOL! I ordered up a a Sniper alignment tool, had to make a little riser to help it see over the front frame rails, but I got the steering where I think its good. It turns both right and left really good now, and after terrorizing the neighbors a few times on my rural country road, those sketchy looking spindles are holding up really well, and its holding its alignment (I really am embarrassed a bit, I should have made them look a little nicer, but they are tough, and holding up) The time on the track will really tell if its right or not. We are not going to reach any insane speeds on the track. It's a really short track, and frankly I would bet that the racing karts could probably go around quicker just based on their skill and familiarity with the track. I will be taking it real easy as I'm not out to set any records. I just want to see how the kart handles the turns. If I get enough time on the track to get comfortable with it, I might bump my speed up a bit. But thats not what I'm going there for. After much fiddling with the Datalogger and it's software (that was a real PIA to learn!), I have 7 channels of data I can monitor on a run. We set up the gooseneck trailer with a lift to change tires while we're there as well as show off the kart a bit. I didn't get any pictures of me aligning the kart, but it was really cool to see how the lasers showed you exactly where you were with regard to caster and camber throughout the entire turning radius. It's a kit I recommend highly to anyone building a kart. It's designed for racing karts, but you can make it work like I did. My neighbor worked through all the bugs on his drone, so the Mavic 2Pro should give us some decent aerial video (fingers crossed) See video here; https://youtu.be/CTXHeWbAzjU You can see the whole playlist of the build as I get all the video edited and posted here (I'm about halfway through editing all the video) ;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190417_194955.jpg   IMG_20190417_194931.jpg  

IMG_20190417_194848.jpg   IMG_20190418_191624.jpg  

ezcome-ezgo (04-29-2019)