Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Old 03-31-2020, 04:20 PM

Default Drift trike project

Well I thought with all this time to practice my welding why not build a drift trike? I have a few questions though. Such as, is an engine governor important? Are there certain things I should implement into the trike? Are more bike brakes good enough or should I have a disk brake on the front wheel? Is there a specific tire size I should get to make sure I can fit the pvc sleeves? Should the engine be mounted in the center or off to the side? Basic things that I wouldn't know n stuff. But if there's anything else I should know let me know!
Old 03-31-2020, 07:10 PM

No bike brakes.!
Old 03-31-2020, 07:47 PM

Let's start with your first question, the governor is important if you intend on young children riding it, if you are grown enough to make decisions for yourself and you are selective on who rides, I don't have a governor in any of my karts other than my kid's kart. The governor's only role is keeping revs down, without it you could possibly blow the engine if you are always running top rpm for long periods of time, but I clip along 30-40mph on a 212 clone and it's just fine.

Important impliments would be a kill switch, make sure everything is straight and symmetrical, and just as much whoa as go.

BRAKES (not being a jerk but I'd be leery of following directions from someone who cant follow direction, or cant spell brakes) I'd run at minimum a disk brake from a mountain bike, preferably a mini bike on the front, and a band brake for the rear, the band brake on my live axle will lock the rear if needed and it's a 25% shoe at best.

Tire size I believe most use slicks, I think they are a lower profile on a 6" wheel, deflated for the PVC to fit over, then inflated to hold tight.

Engine placement I would think centered may be best, if all the weight is to one side it may slide better one way than the other.

A mini bike throttle and killswitch kit is super cheap on Amazon, think mine was $11, and the best source for the steering is commonly an old bicycle and cut the entire neck and front end off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smerft85 For This Useful Post:
Bamboo24 (03-31-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 11:32 AM

alright thanks hopefully this works out and i can build it. big thing is money for the rear axle but im doing jobs for neighbors to save up.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty_Jesus View Post
alright thanks hopefully this works out and i can build it. big thing is money for the rear axle but im doing jobs for neighbors to save up.
Could always check local Facebook groups or craigslist for a broke down kart with a live axle intact, then you may have rear brakes and everything all in one simple package.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:44 PM
High Compression Member

I've had a trike sittin in the garage for 3 years. Maybe now that it's summer again I can get started.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:06 PM

Sounds good I'll check online for some karts