Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 PM
wishing i was living

same as their^ questions. i would like to know the contact info for when and where to purchase
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 AM
Vintage Kart Afficionado

You might consider using a ball end mill to add some grooves to the outside of the cone... it would add surface area for cooling and add some decorative value too... I'm looking forward to trying one out.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 PM

Hi everyone,

Just to give a quick update, we've been working hard to really test the durability of the clutch and ensure that everything works properly with our prototypes. My brother and I are both engineers and we've been doing all sorts of testing to put the clutch through it's paces. That being said, we are very close to signing off on the final designs, and we expect our first shipment to arrive for assembly in mid-March at the earliest. We've registered our business/resell license with the state of California, and our official company name is Downs Brothers Racing. Our standard 3/4" unit will be called the DBR Type I (Pat. Pending 61/764,452). Our website is almost complete, and we will update everyone when we are live (www.downsbrosracing.com). We have made a note of people who have verbally committed on this website, and we will contact everyone individually to prioritize these orders. If anyone has more questions/concerns/feedback about the clutch, please don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks,
D
Old 02-14-2013, 12:51 PM

May i ask what types of testing you are doing.
Hopefully you have installed them on various sizes of karts with various motor sizes and the same for mini bikes,and then abused them beyond what the normal rider would do.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:38 PM

We have been trying to test it on as many different vehicles as possible, but have been limited the options available to us. The clutch has several bearings, springs, press fit sleeves, etc. made from various materials that all interface with each other at high RPM, load, and sometimes temperature. We have been intensely studying these interactions and have modified each subsequent prototype to solve any issues that have been apparent. We have a lot of experience in manufacturing and mechanical engineering, and the clutch has been designed with quality and durability in mind. We've even resorted to a complex superficial hardening process known as gas nitriding for one of the parts to allow the main needle bearing to run smoothly up to 10,000RPM at 4,000lbs load on a precision ground shaft. Given the spring pressure and friction material contact surface area, we can expect the clutch to slip around 45ft-lbs. Each model will be load rated, and we will provide maximum operating specifications such as horsepower, torque, etc. The very fact that the clutch can slip on itself provides a 'fail-safe' for applications that are outside of our listed performance specs. There is no reason to expect that our clutch will not be as durable as the high end race clutch alternatives.
The Following User Says Thank You to ddowns46 For This Useful Post:
ML-TOYS (02-14-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 01:49 PM

How long before you think it will be ready for the sale of them ?

I havnt kept track with the 8 pages of posts but are you doing all shaft sizes like 3/4 and 1 inch.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:20 AM

i love this thing! i want one for my duraforce two stroke. have you come up with a price within twenty or so of reality yet?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 PM

I built my own mini chopper, and I have a torque converter. I think it would be nice to have a manual clutch like this as the driver pulley on the torque converter setup, that way you still have the action of a torque converter and a manual clutch.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:25 PM

Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff091796 View Post
I built my own mini chopper, and I have a torque converter. I think it would be nice to have a manual clutch like this as the driver pulley on the torque converter setup, that way you still have the action of a torque converter and a manual clutch.
You don't want to do that. The CVT needs both components to be fully operational in order to function. Replace the driver with anything else, and it just won't work.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 03-02-2013, 06:58 PM

Any updates on the clutch? Don't want this to get lost in the pack.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:07 PM

This is exactly what I need for my efi turbo kart.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:28 PM

Hi all,

Just wanted to chime in with a quick update. Everything has been running smoothly, and it seems like every other day we are receiving a new package of parts in the mail. We originally had intended to do a large majority of the machining overseas, but we have now made the decision to purchase a CNC lathe to bring production to the US. This will allow us to afford quicker lead times on all parts, and the ability to prototype new designs and custom clutches. We have over 30+ years in combined machining experience, and we are very excited to be even more closely linked to this process. What this means is that our initial product offering will be slightly delayed from our mid-March estimate. We are now looking at late March/early April before we start to sell these clutches. The good news is that now we have both a CNC lathe and CNC mill at our fingertips, and this opens the doors for future product ideas. Feel free to PM us on questions regarding the above information, we are happy to respond!

-M
Old 03-04-2013, 05:31 PM

Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,692 Posts

Smashing- but... It bears asking. What will this new production methodology to to the price?
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 03-04-2013, 07:31 PM
TheBeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddowns46 View Post
Hi all,

Just wanted to chime in with a quick update. Everything has been running smoothly, and it seems like every other day we are receiving a new package of parts in the mail. We originally had intended to do a large majority of the machining overseas, but we have now made the decision to purchase a CNC lathe to bring production to the US. This will allow us to afford quicker lead times on all parts, and the ability to prototype new designs and custom clutches. We have over 30+ years in combined machining experience, and we are very excited to be even more closely linked to this process. What this means is that our initial product offering will be slightly delayed from our mid-March estimate. We are now looking at late March/early April before we start to sell these clutches. The good news is that now we have both a CNC lathe and CNC mill at our fingertips, and this opens the doors for future product ideas. Feel free to PM us on questions regarding the above information, we are happy to respond!

-M
Yes!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:24 PM

Thanked 3,401 Times in 2,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toystory_4wd View Post
Smashing- but... It bears asking. What will this new production methodology to to the price?
If they are going to be paying off the CNC, then probably Bummer
Old 03-05-2013, 03:44 PM

Hi all,

This productiong change will not affect pricing. In fact, it is helping us to keep the price where we want it.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to ddowns46 For This Useful Post:
Doc Sprocket (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 PM

Thanked 3,398 Times in 2,676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddowns46 View Post
Hi all,

-M
I always say "you want something done, do it yourself". Well done
Old 03-05-2013, 05:33 PM
wishing i was living

i still need to save up some money for this. hope to one of the first few to have it
Old 03-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Awesome work! Your growing business centered around manufacturing a quality product in the US is inspiring and I hope your company becomes wildly successful.

Please put me on your list for one of the first units, I have an interesting project to use it in... I'm building a Honda XR500 with a 783cc air cooled diesel engine (17hp, 35ft-lb). I could possibly use this on a jack-shaft in between the engine and the gearbox (maybe harley). I am documenting the build on youtube and could give your clutch some exposure there.

Any-who keep up the good work and updates coming.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:55 AM

I want more videos and pics of this thing in action!
Closed Thread