Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Old 05-26-2019, 01:40 PM

Default Duromax or Tillotson?

I have a go-kart for my son (ok, for me) that has a stock Predator 212 on it currently.It runs fine, but is starting to sweat some horsepower on the concrete when it is parked. I am thinking of changing the engine, and going with electric start, and am considering either a 7hp Duromax or the 10hp (supposedly) Tillotson.

The Duromax says it is 196cc, and the Tillotson is 212cc. Down the road, I would like to do the standard upgrades (intake, exhaust, jet carb, advance timing). Which engine would you recommend?
Old 05-26-2019, 01:54 PM

Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,369 Posts

Im guessing your meaning it leaking oil on the ground.....

If so....Typically itll be gas.
Keep the petcock in the off position when not in use... Run the carb dry when shut to the off position...
The clones have a bit of a problem when sitting for a bit. The carb tends to weep a bit and usually itll drip down into the crankcase...
I ended up draining a half a tank of gas into the crankcase... Only found out there was a problem after going for a short run it was dripping a bit....
Looking at the oil cap, and as I unscrewed it off, it popped off and shot across the room from the built up pressure. Just barely enough time to get a can under the bike to catch it spewing out ....
Its a Honda not a Harley... It for the most part doesnt drip...
Old 05-26-2019, 02:36 PM

https://www.eccarburetors.com/TIllot...ne_p_1650.html

Seems like the best bet.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
Im guessing your meaning it leaking oil on the ground.....

If so....Typically itll be gas.
Keep the petcock in the off position when not in use... Run the carb dry when shut to the off position...
The clones have a bit of a problem when sitting for a bit. The carb tends to weep a bit and usually itll drip down into the crankcase...
I ended up draining a half a tank of gas into the crankcase... Only found out there was a problem after going for a short run it was dripping a bit....
Looking at the oil cap, and as I unscrewed it off, it popped off and shot across the room from the built up pressure. Just barely enough time to get a can under the bike to catch it spewing out ....
Its a Honda not a Harley... It for the most part doesnt drip...
I am talking about oil. It's not gas. It is oil that I believe is seeping from around the crank seal. Regardless, I am planning to change the engine eventually. I just want to know what people feel is the better option between the 2 I listed. Thanks

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy H View Post
It's not electric start.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:54 AM

Default Duromax or Tillotson?

I posted this in the engine section but haven't gotten an answer:

I have a go-kart for my son (ok, for me) that has a stock Predator 212 on it currently. It runs fine, but is starting to sweat some horsepower on the concrete when it is parked (oil leaking around crank seal I believe). I am thinking of changing the engine, and going with electric start, and am considering either a 7hp Duromaxor the 10hp (supposedly) Tillotson.

The Duromax says it is 196cc, and the Tillotson is 212cc. Down the road, I would like to do the standard upgrades (intake, exhaust, jet carb, advance timing). Which engine would you recommend?
Old 05-30-2019, 11:00 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

Look, it really comes down to you on what engine YOU want.
If you want the DuroMax, you can get it!
If you want some more HP, you can get the Tillotson!
Also, you can get electric start conversion kits for Predator 212s.
And to me, the difficulty of getting out to pull start it isn't a big deal.
FYI Personally, I would choose the Tillotson.
mckutzy (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 12:19 PM

Tillotson clone engines ship with stronger flywheels, valves and springs according to this publication.

https://forums.kartpulse.com/t/new-f...on-racing/1804
Old 05-30-2019, 12:30 PM

Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,369 Posts

First you not supposed to double post, youll get the answers, just have to wait...
I hate to say it but JT is right... its what you want....

Im saying the one you have is probable fine... Its just that there is a issue that is causing to leak...as typically they just dont leak when tight and with a closed petcock...

The standard mods are the same for both...
Old 05-30-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karttekk View Post
Tillotson clone engines ship with stronger flywheels, valves and springs according to this publication.

https://forums.kartpulse.com/t/new-f...on-racing/1804
I wonder if those upgrades are on all of their engines or on just the racing ones. I can't tell from gopowersports website if the one I am looking at is the R version or the E version.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:26 PM

Thanked 1,425 Times in 1,008 Posts

the crankcase seals dont typically leak unless you have the engine mounted on an uneven surface, that is bad news, or if a bolt is coming loose on the crankcase cover. You can get a new seal pretty cheap.

If electric start AND mods is the goal, then go with a tillotson. The duromax does not make more hp than a predator 212 thats for sure. The blue tillotson makes marginally better hp than a predator 212. However, if you get electric start and want to upgrade, then tillotson is the winner here. I wouldnt put a lot of faith in any cast iron flywheel past 7k rpm. This is just my opinion.

So if you were to upgrad in the future, you could probably be safe following this path.

governor removal, advance timing 4-6 degrees, possibly rejet, and send it. up to 6k rpm.

intake, exhaust, mild cam, and billet rod and be ok up to 7k rpm.

again just my opinion here on the tillotson. I wouldnt even reccomend removing the governor on the duromax without billet stuff. Last i heard ARC racing was looking into coming up with some performance parts for the duromax engines but that doesnt mean it is going to happen. I have no idea on journal sizes, etc for duromax.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:25 PM

Tillotson's site should have that information.

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGentry View Post
I wonder if those upgrades are on all of their engines or on just the racing ones. I can't tell from gopowersports website if the one I am looking at is the R version or the E version.
The two 212cc engines being released are intended to meet the requirements of both sanctioned racing and a more general powersports market that are not allowed to use competition-only engines. Both engines feature a high performance flywheel and enhanced valves and valve springs.