Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 11-12-2019, 07:32 PM

Default Murray Explorer with Comet 30 series torque converter questions

So I recently purchased a Murray Explorer with a Tecumseh OHH60 motor and a comet 30 series torque converter. I have a few questions and issues.

1. The kart jerks pretty hard when throttling up from a stop. Is this because of the torque converter?

2. The top speed with me (185 pounds) in it is 22mph. Does that seem about right for this little motor?

3. Would removing the governor get me a little bit more power?

4. The hub is stuck on the engine shaft so I cant fully remove the torque converter which also means I cant remove the engine to clean it up and change the oil. How can I get the hub unstuck from the engine shaft?

5. Does the torque converter belt look like it fits properly on the pulleys? I can actually slip it off the rear pulley without any disassembly is that too much slack?

Here are some pictures of the torque converter to help with diagnosis.

Comet 30 series torque converter issues. https://imgur.com/gallery/5lM2kLy

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:17 PM
Supporter

My Explorer's used to jerk from a stop until i wire brushed the metal dust and rust out of the hub and filed out the rust buildup inside the hub and drive pulley, then lubricated the hub inside and out with a tad bit of red wheel bearing grease so the pulley moved freely in and out and wouldn't get stuck again. Just make sure all the sliding surfaces are free of any rust before you lubricate them if you choose to do so and clean any lube off of the belt surface. Also, nobody checks this but make sure you clean the rust off of the drive/driven pulley surfaces where the belt rides, you'll be surprised how much rust can accumulate and eat up belts(I used a dremel with sanding disks to clean them up and make them super smooth to prolong belt life).

Have you tried heating up the hub a bit to give you some clearance on the engine shaft so you can get it off? If you get it off now would be time to wire brush the rust off of the engine shaft(mine had quite a bit and took several good pulls to get it off). You will need some welding gloves or something to wear that won't burn you. Its worked for me on both of my Murray's(i've had this pulley/hub issue twice and this solved them for me).

The belt looks fine on the drive pulley stationary sheave to me, it looks like the belt may be a little worn down too but still looks correct. While its apart, you should check your brass idler bushing for side-to-side sloppiness, both of mine needed replaced and GPS sells a direct replacement for $5.

The governed top speed on mine is 26mph with a 10t jackshaft sprocket and 60t on the axle and I only weigh 120lbs so yes that is about right. Do you still have 18" tall rear tires like I do? Removing the governor will get you more rpms which should give you more mph if that is what you want. I chose not to remove the governor from my 6hp Tecumseh so hopefully the it will last longer. I plan on putting ZDDP in my kart motors without a governor to reduce wear if possible
The Following User Says Thank You to Wilson_Engine_Shop For This Useful Post:
Coverfire (11-13-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 10:57 PM

Thanked 4,366 Times in 3,285 Posts

whoo wilson.. what a wall of text
scary.. you think a paragraph or new line every once in a while would hurt?

'sid
Wilson_Engine_Shop (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson_Engine_Shop View Post
My Explorer's used to jerk from a stop until i wire brushed the metal dust and rust out of the hub and filed out the rust buildup inside the hub and drive pulley, then lubricated the hub inside and out with a tad bit of red wheel bearing grease so the pulley moved freely in and out and wouldn't get stuck again. Just make sure all the sliding surfaces are free of any rust before you lubricate them if you choose to do so and clean any lube off of the belt surface. Also, nobody checks this but make sure you clean the rust off of the drive/driven pulley surfaces where the belt rides, you'll be surprised how much rust can accumulate and eat up belts(I used a dremel with sanding disks to clean them up and make them super smooth to prolong belt life).

Have you tried heating up the hub a bit to give you some clearance on the engine shaft so you can get it off? If you get it off now would be time to wire brush the rust off of the engine shaft(mine had quite a bit and took several good pulls to get it off). You will need some welding gloves or something to wear that won't burn you. Its worked for me on both of my Murray's(i've had this pulley/hub issue twice and this solved them for me).

The belt looks fine on the drive pulley stationary sheave to me, it looks like the belt may be a little worn down too but still looks correct. While its apart, you should check your brass idler bushing for side-to-side sloppiness, both of mine needed replaced and GPS sells a direct replacement for $5.

The governed top speed on mine is 26mph with a 10t jackshaft sprocket and 60t on the axle and I only weigh 120lbs so yes that is about right. Do you still have 18" tall rear tires like I do? Removing the governor will get you more rpms which should give you more mph if that is what you want. I chose not to remove the governor from my 6hp Tecumseh so hopefully the it will last longer. I plan on putting ZDDP in my kart motors without a governor to reduce wear if possible
Hey, thanks for the reply! I appreciate it. I think I will heat up the hub and try a gear puller. As far as the torque converter goes I am just going to replace it I think. I'll clean it all up and if the new Chinese one fails I'll have a back up.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:57 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

You should be able to change the oil without removing the engine.....
Look for a little square shaped plug at the bottom of the engine.