Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Electric Projects

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-16-2020, 06:19 PM
MotWat MotWat is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Austria
Posts: 11
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Electric go kart parts checklist

Hi!

I'm working on my first electric go kart project and would like to purchase all the needed parts. Before I do that, however, I'd like to ask you for advice: please let me know whether you think the combination of parts below makes sense (isn't a waste of money and will work well together) and whether I have forgotten anything essential or particularly useful. Thanks!

I'm basing my design on a wiring diagram by Kelly (see attachment)

Motor: 0909 Mars Brush-type PMDC motor (http://www.motenergy.com/me0909.html)
I'm planning to build the motor bracket myself. Shouldn't be too difficult, I hope...
Controller: Kelly KDZ48300 (https://kellycontroller.com/shop/kdz/) + J1 and J2 cables for connecting throttle, lights, etc. to the controller (https://kellycontroller.com/shop/j2-cable/) + RS-232 to USB for programming + 14-pin connector (is it necessary???) (https://kellycontroller.com/shop/14-pin-connector/)
0-5V throttle (https://kellycontroller.com/shop/sim...hrottle-pedal/)
10A car fuse https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1t5hCHvhfL.jpg
300A fuse (https://kellycontroller.com/shop/ane-fuse/)
48V 400A contactor (https://kellycontroller.com/shop/kzj-400a/)
200V 3A diode (https://www.conrad.at/de/p/diotec-si...-a-162388.html)
1kOhm 25W precharge resistor (https://www.conrad.at/de/p/widap-160...t-1525156.html)
11 teeth, 428 type chain sprocket for the motor (not sure if this one will fit and whether it's the right choice in general. Any advice?) (https://www.amazon.de/Motorritzel-f%...186278&sr=8-66)
Key for the motor sprocket (https://www.amazon.de/Schl%C3%BCssel...9189969&sr=8-4)
428 chain, 116 links (https://www.amazon.de/Kette-Glieder-...9191093&sr=8-5)
A used, standard go kart chassis - standard wheels, steering, brake, etc. (something like https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-...art-355671244/)
A 428 drive axle sprocket, in case the chassis has a non-428 sprocket installed (https://www.amazon.de/Vobor-Kettenra...9187645&sr=8-7)

As for batteries, I have a Stiga 48V 5Ah Li-Ion pack lying around and I was thinking of using it for testing the system and maybe riding for a short time. I'm planning to simply use the + and - terminals that are available (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg). (not sure what the Ohm and C ports are for...) Is this a good idea to get started?
Anyways, later I would buy proper batteries. My budget for them is around 300 Euros ($334). One idea I have is to put four of these in series: https://www.amazon.de/8000mAh-Lipo-B...4QQMKHSJPRAT58
I realize that it's not a lot of juice, but I'd like to actually use the power the motor can provide even if it means riding only for 5-10 minutes, instead of having more ride time, but going slower - if I'd buy lead acid batteries, for example. Are there any other good options for that price?

And, finally, I would get a charger for the batteries.

So, what do you think? Have I forgotten anything? I would appreciate your help a lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Diagram.png  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-16-2020, 08:28 PM
itsid's Avatar
itsid itsid is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ruhrpott [Germany]
Posts: 10,705
Thanks: 1,448
Thanked 4,475 Times in 3,373 Posts
Default

depending on the motor shaft, I think I'd suggest using 219 chain instead..

far smaller pitch, far more teeth per sprocket and almsot as strong as 428 chain..
BUT and that's the important bit:
a very common go kart racing chain size (I know no european 100cc race kart running anything but 219 chain)
so axle sprockets are easy to find that match a karts rear sprocket hub.

ideally download the manual for the controller of choice from kelly
and take very close attention to their wiring diagrams and setup instructions.

I don't see anything you might have missed tbh..

On thing: maybe add two options to the controller:
the 12V output line if available (in case you want to run a tach some day)
and the waterprotection (it might come in handy one day )

I don't like the pedal throttles myself too much.
I'd prefere the cable pull throttle tbh
(it allows you to reuse the original kart pedal.. looks much nicer IMHO)
Click image for larger version

Name:	THR-99-2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	115146
(available on ebay and some various shops.. should cost less than the 20 bucks for the simple pedal throttle [usually 11'ish])


I'm a bit overwhelmed by the number of links (again.. haven't even gotten around to check your last list yet )
Anyways.. values on small passive electronics seems to be correct.
but check Reichelt instead for all that you cannot source off kelly directly.
(kelly .. because albeit they are a bit more expensive, they know the parts they sell fit the needs and you have less to check for yourself)
Conrad tends to be the most expensive anyways these days
unless you have a store near you to save shipping of course

Be sure to have the correct battery charger for what ever battery you end up with.
a Lipo pack charger will be rather expensive, and one for a high voltage/capacity set especially.
IF you want to serialize premade batpacks, be sure each battery pack can supply ~30% more current than the motor/controller is able to draw.
otherwise you will have a very expensive campfire if bad comes to worse!
(rather dumb it down with lead acid and end up with a heavier kart when in doubt)

Now.. a PMDC is fine and all.. 300Amp is a LOT!
you will need massive wiring for that to be safely provided,
and that needs solidly crimped ringterminals..
(a crimper costs ~90 bucks for that task)
so maybe find a car hifi shop near you and ask if they can confection your wiring for you (terminate precut wires) that'd be likely cheaper and surely safer than DIY

And while a 12kW e-kart sounds like a ton of giggle...
don't forget that you need to support a 26lbs motor with a ton of torque.
making a mount isn't exactly trivial I'm afraid.
needs to be straight and rigid and ideally lightweight since the motor itself is heavy enough

I think I forgot something again... will re-read tomorrow

'sid
__________________
Jokes about german sausage are the wurst.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itsid For This Useful Post:
landuse (01-17-2020), MotWat (01-18-2020)
  #3  
Old 01-18-2020, 05:40 PM
MotWat MotWat is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Austria
Posts: 11
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi and thanks for your thorough answer!

I have read through and will consider each of your points - will probably make at least a few changes in my plans. But I'm having lots of trouble with stuff I thought would be easy to modify and it's extremely frustrating.

For instance, now I'd like to switch to a 219 chain, but after searching for many hours I gave up on finding a motor sprocket that would fit the ME0909. 219 sprockets that would fit the 7/8" (22mm) shaft don't seem to exist. 428 fitting 7/8"? No problem. 219 fitting 3/4"? Sure. 219 on a 7/8"? No luck. Please, if you know of a sprocket that would fit, let me know. Otherwise, I see no other good option than going with the 428 I posted above.

I also agree that the pull throttle is a better idea. But again, I can't find a good offer. The best one was ~$45 with shipping. If you know of any that are significantly cheaper ones, please send me a link. And let me know how you found it, because that would mean that I need to get much better at searching
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2020, 11:22 PM
itsid's Avatar
itsid itsid is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ruhrpott [Germany]
Posts: 10,705
Thanks: 1,448
Thanked 4,475 Times in 3,373 Posts
Default

from on top of my head.. I think mine are somewhere between 16-18mm *shrugs*
can't remember too long since I last touched one ...
20mm are no problem at all either..
22mm should be doable.. (7/8" I'm not sure)

pull throttles appear every now and again on amazon.de
with chinese keywordspamming it's a real pain to find them though
same with ebay...
they're easy to DIY though..
a long rod magnet,
a linear he-sensor (SS495 for example),
a spring, some wires (steel and copper )
well and a way to make the case (3d printer comes in handy here)
[roughly 5bucks in parts for a diy]

I'll look around for both and will let you know.

'sid
__________________
Jokes about german sausage are the wurst.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-21-2020, 09:50 AM
MotWat MotWat is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Austria
Posts: 11
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks! Any luck in your search?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-22-2020, 08:03 AM
Functional Artist's Avatar
Functional Artist Functional Artist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 2,110
Thanks: 837
Thanked 800 Times in 634 Posts
Default

Howdy,

What are your goals?
...Voltage? (36V, 48V, 60V)
...run time?
...top speed?
...total cost?

Maybe check out El Dingo (third place in the 2016 build-off)
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33680

...more info
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36476

...& some more info
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36528
__________________
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-23-2020, 03:05 PM
MotWat MotWat is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Austria
Posts: 11
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Functional Artist View Post
Howdy,

What are your goals?
...Voltage? (36V, 48V, 60V)
...run time?
...top speed?
...total cost?

Maybe check out El Dingo (third place in the 2016 build-off)
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33680

...more info
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36476

...& some more info
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36528
Hi!

My budget is around 1000€ ($1100). Run time can be as little as 5 minutes; what I care more about is the performance during that period. But it would be nice to be able to ride longer as well, of course. Very good acceleration is my priority. Keeping that in mind, about 50 KPH (30 MPH) max speed would be more than enough.

Anyways, it looks like I'll have to change my plans a little... I wanted to buy the Motenergy and Kelly because I was hoping that I could get them for about $570. Unfortunately, that offer has since risen to $720. I don't think that's worth it, considering that I'll have only about $400 left for the chassis, batteries and all the little parts and accessories.

So, instead, I'm now thinking of buying a Golden Motor 3 kW motor (https://www.goldenmotor.com/frame-bldcmotor.htm), along with a Kelly mini controller (https://www.kellycontroller.com/shop/kbs-e/). Both the 48 V and 72 V versions of the motor have the same price, and according to its datasheet, I should be able to get more performance out of the 72 V version (48 V: https://www.goldenmotor.com/hubmotor...KW%20Curve.pdf For 72 V see attachment). On the other hand, I worry that I'll have to put more batteries in series to achieve that voltage, which will increase the cost. Then again, the amperage will be lower, so I'll save some money on smaller gauge wires. Do you guys think that it's worth it to go for 72 V? Or should I stay in the 48 V range, considering my budget and goals?

If I'd go with the 72 V motor, I would pick the 72 V, 80 A controller version. BTW, do you know what the "High Speed Motor" option on controller's website is for? Is it of any use in my case?

And as a quick side question: looking at the motor diagram (https://www.goldenmotor.com/hubmotor...%20Drawing.pdf), do I understand correctly that the shaft has a diameter of 3/4"? That should make it a lot easier to find 219 sprockets for it, compared to Motenergy's 7/8" shaft.

I appreciate your advice a lot, guys. I know this is a lot of info and questions I'm throwing at you... I've been researching these parts for weeks now, and I'd like to be able to finally place an order. Unfortunately, I have limited time to finish this project, so I need to get going soon. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Annotation 2020-01-10 180849.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-23-2020, 09:17 PM
Quinc's Avatar
Quinc Quinc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 230
Thanks: 184
Thanked 82 Times in 58 Posts
Default

If you only want 5-30 minutes and a huge amount of power get the imperial 3.6hp 36v motor used on ebay or something similar and the 500a kelly. You can get these motors for 100$ and less shipped. Save the rest of the money for lithium batteries.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-23-2020, 10:36 PM
itsid's Avatar
itsid itsid is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ruhrpott [Germany]
Posts: 10,705
Thanks: 1,448
Thanked 4,475 Times in 3,373 Posts
Default

Now.. reached out to some companies I've been in contact with before..
No 219 blanks to be found, that is a too specific thing
(they all only ever make european industrial sizes 06,08 etc)
and worse noone could point me to a motorcycle/kart chain/sprocket manufacturer near us either

Not even the cable pull throttle showed up (on aliexpress and ebay but nowhere near us)
there's also a second type however.. essentially a thumbthrottle with a longer crossdrilled lever .. same idea behind it but more expensive

'sid

PS Sorry.. had to wait for some more repllies.. I was hoping for some good news
__________________
Jokes about german sausage are the wurst.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-24-2020, 08:52 AM
MotWat MotWat is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Austria
Posts: 11
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
If you only want 5-30 minutes and a huge amount of power get the imperial 3.6hp 36v motor used on ebay or something similar and the 500a kelly. You can get these motors for 100$ and less shipped. Save the rest of the money for lithium batteries.
I could only find one offer for about $100, but the shipping to Austria is $140 :/

Quote:
Now.. reached out to some companies I've been in contact with before..
No 219 blanks to be found, that is a too specific thing
(they all only ever make european industrial sizes 06,08 etc)
and worse noone could point me to a motorcycle/kart chain/sprocket manufacturer near us either

Not even the cable pull throttle showed up (on aliexpress and ebay but nowhere near us)
there's also a second type however.. essentially a thumbthrottle with a longer crossdrilled lever .. same idea behind it but more expensive

'sid

PS Sorry.. had to wait for some more repllies.. I was hoping for some good news
As mentioned in my previous post, I would probably go for a motor with a 3/4" shaft and I have seen 219 sprockets for those.

Do you have links to those offers on ebay and AliExpress?

Also, any thoughts on the rest of my previous post? Especially the 48/72 V dillema?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-24-2020, 12:07 PM
itsid's Avatar
itsid itsid is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ruhrpott [Germany]
Posts: 10,705
Thanks: 1,448
Thanked 4,475 Times in 3,373 Posts
Default

You need to first find the batteries in order to make the voltage decision.
personally with lead acid batteries I'd stick with 48V..
with LiPo batpacks I'd step up to 72V (or even higher)
because it's easy to find a small size LiPo battery with about any voltage,
not so much to find a tiny stackable lead acid battery

links: nope sorry.
the aliexpress/alibaba hits all popped up on googles search results (image search is quicker for an overview imho)
and while I never had any bad experience with sellers from aliexpress/alibaba
I really avoid that website (it's search functionality really makes me angry more often than not)
So I tend to not visit those hits if I am not looking for something I urgently need myself

I found it when using ebay.com (just a bigger audience)
searching for "electric throttle" or such just to get the fewest keywords with a good impact.
(some sellers tend to not mention hall effect in the title that's why )
now limit the price range to say 15-20 bucks and
maybe check the "free international shipping" checkbox to make things easier to calculate

you still find plenty and have to dig your way through..
they're not as common as twist or thumb throttles, not even as common as pedal throttles.
but they do show up every now and again.
(if they don't.. find a seller that has every imaginable other type and just ask!)

'sid
__________________
Jokes about german sausage are the wurst.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-24-2020, 02:04 PM
Functional Artist's Avatar
Functional Artist Functional Artist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 2,110
Thanks: 837
Thanked 800 Times in 634 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotWat View Post
Hi!

I'm working on my first electric go kart project and would like to purchase all the needed parts. Before I do that, however, I'd like to ask you for advice: please let me know whether you think the combination of parts below makes sense (isn't a waste of money and will work well together) and whether I have forgotten anything essential or particularly useful. Thanks!

I'm basing my design on a wiring diagram by Kelly (see attachment)

Motor: 0909 Mars Brush-type PMDC motor (http://www.motenergy.com/me0909.html)
I'm planning to build the motor bracket myself. Shouldn't be too difficult, I hope...
Controller: Kelly KDZ48300 (https://kellycontroller.com/shop/kdz/) + J1 and J2 cables for connecting throttle, lights, etc. to the controller (https://kellycontroller.com/shop/j2-cable/) + RS-232 to USB for programming + 14-pin connector (is it necessary???) (https://kellycontroller.com/shop/14-pin-connector/)
0-5V throttle (https://kellycontroller.com/shop/sim...hrottle-pedal/)
10A car fuse https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1t5hCHvhfL.jpg
300A fuse (https://kellycontroller.com/shop/ane-fuse/)
48V 400A contactor (https://kellycontroller.com/shop/kzj-400a/)
200V 3A diode (https://www.conrad.at/de/p/diotec-si...-a-162388.html)
1kOhm 25W precharge resistor (https://www.conrad.at/de/p/widap-160...t-1525156.html)
11 teeth, 428 type chain sprocket for the motor (not sure if this one will fit and whether it's the right choice in general. Any advice?) (https://www.amazon.de/Motorritzel-f%...186278&sr=8-66)
Key for the motor sprocket (https://www.amazon.de/Schl%C3%BCssel...9189969&sr=8-4)
428 chain, 116 links (https://www.amazon.de/Kette-Glieder-...9191093&sr=8-5)
A used, standard go kart chassis - standard wheels, steering, brake, etc. (something like https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-...art-355671244/)
A 428 drive axle sprocket, in case the chassis has a non-428 sprocket installed (https://www.amazon.de/Vobor-Kettenra...9187645&sr=8-7)

As for batteries, I have a Stiga 48V 5Ah Li-Ion pack lying around and I was thinking of using it for testing the system and maybe riding for a short time. I'm planning to simply use the + and - terminals that are available (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg). (not sure what the Ohm and C ports are for...) Is this a good idea to get started?
Anyways, later I would buy proper batteries. My budget for them is around 300 Euros ($334). One idea I have is to put four of these in series: https://www.amazon.de/8000mAh-Lipo-B...4QQMKHSJPRAT58
I realize that it's not a lot of juice, but I'd like to actually use the power the motor can provide even if it means riding only for 5-10 minutes, instead of having more ride time, but going slower - if I'd buy lead acid batteries, for example. Are there any other good options for that price?

And, finally, I would get a charger for the batteries.

So, what do you think? Have I forgotten anything? I would appreciate your help a lot!
IMO Way too complicated (& expensive) for a first project.

Maybe look into a super simple 48V 1,000W MY-1020 kit

My buddy Miguel @ Alfa Wheels offers this kit for ~$100.00
...plus ($27.90 International Priority Shipping to Austria via the Global Shipping Program)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1000-W-48V-...2ab6%7Ciid%3A1

Notice, this kit includes the motor, a matching speed controller, an On-Off key switch & a twist throttle (they also offer kits with a thumb throttle or a pedal throttle too)

This is a very powerful little motor.
I currently have one on/powering the Torsk kart
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38905

& (2) of them on the !Arriba! kart
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37852

*Also, to help we need to know how heavy of a kart you have in mind? (with driver & batteries)
& what size wheels/tires? (affects final gear ratio)
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_0778.jpg   SAM_3190.jpg  

__________________
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-04-2020, 04:21 PM
MotWat MotWat is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Austria
Posts: 11
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi guys! Thanks for your advice. In the end I've decided to order the 3 kW, 72 V Golden Motor and the 72 V, 80 A Kelly controller. Now I only need to pick the batteries + accessories and find a frame to put it all on. But I think that's more appropriate for a new thread, so I'll go ahead and start one.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:37 AM.