Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Announcements & Suggestions > Introduce Yourself!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 02:27 AM
Kart Newb

Default newb inside

Hi, im my name is daniel currently in north carolina(charlotte), and we just got snow and ice here actually right now their is 3in layer of ice on the roads which is what leads me here today i saw this kid on a go-kart and i want one now i know nothing about carts but i do have a car that i mod, what is a good site that lets u peice your cart together from chassis,brakes,motors,mods,shifters and linkages,plastics,pedals,and all other stuff for a complete build
Old 01-31-2010, 06:30 AM
Doin It!!

heres a great place for kart parts. If you want you could build your own frame or spend a bit more and buy a ready built one.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/GoMini.html...on_id=P5waNnWY
The Following User Says Thank You to KieranM For This Useful Post:
06sciontcnda704 (01-31-2010)
Old 01-31-2010, 08:53 AM
Kart Newb

hhmm i dont want to buy one already done i like getting my hands dirty and i can learn as i go and if i need help my dad is good with fixing the little honda and b&s motors.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:06 PM
I wanna go FAST!!

what kinda kart do you want?
what are your plans with the kart??

neighborhood rider, woods, yard, ????
Old 01-31-2010, 08:44 PM

Default Newcomer

Name's Bill, Live in NW Florida. Primarily interested in Electric powered Karts. Immediate project is a Trike built out of a Crotch -Rocket (Yamaha FZ750). ICE ate it's bearings and don't want to sink mega-bucks into the engine. Figure I'd experiment with electric power on it using a Starter motor type drive I've seen users on here utilizing.
Any ideas? Don't have a lot of funds to use for this project. Cheap is good, Cheaper is better!
I'll post a couple of pictures of it soon as I can figure out how to attach pics, etc.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Kart Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992suburban View Post
what kinda kart do you want?
what are your plans with the kart??

neighborhood rider, woods, yard, ????
well i want a shifter kart or a shifter and half street kart,125cc 2stroke and i want to go to cmp up by VIR heard they opened up a crazy kart track up their and im just ready really to get back into go-kart but on a level higher than carowinds(amusement park lol)
Old 02-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Kart Newb

i want to to do something that looks like this.......http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/1576093287.html

but w/ a smaller motor (125cc 2stroke) so i can learn lines and get good
Old 02-01-2010, 11:52 AM
thinker and tinkerer

if you are refering to racing lines, you need to learn them on the rig you will be racing. racing lines are mostly entering the turn at the right angle/speed, hitting the apex, and giving gas while exiting wide to keep up your speed. slow in fast out. that's not too bad a price if she runs. you could swap mounts and engines. basically racing is making as straight a line as you can out of a course while maintaining the best overall speed.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Kart Newb

yeah i got a buddy that told me 250 will break lose on me in the turns and i should go with a 125 motor that doesnt rev that high, b/c he said the high reving ones dont make power until further in the rpm band and that he see guys all the time with 125 that finally get to that high band in the middle of the turn and they lose it or get sidwayz
Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 PM

Thanked 1,164 Times in 963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06sciontcnda704 View Post
yeah i got a buddy that told me 250 will break lose on me in the turns and i should go with a 125 motor that doesnt rev that high, b/c he said the high reving ones dont make power until further in the rpm band and that he see guys all the time with 125 that finally get to that high band in the middle of the turn and they lose it or get sidwayz
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06sciontcnda704 View Post

Tonykart makes nice shifterkarts, but theres serveral other good brands out there. Just try to find the nicest/newest one you can afford. Try to find a chassis with a big 50mm axle and front brakes. The CR125 is the engine most commonly raced so that'd be a good choice.

I dont think any particular brand of racekart fits tall riders better. Most all race karts have a prety good amount of leg room, but if you look around you'll find some guys have instaled an extended Front Porch. That's an extra long front bumper assembly/floor pan that alows the pedals to be re-located serveral inches forward (for tall guys) compaired to normal racekarts.

I'm 6'-6", my racekarts have the stock (normal-length) front porches and I do alright, although I did extend both my pedals linkage rods to adjust the positions to be as far forward as possible.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Kart Newb

^**** 6'6 thats tall lol yeah we have alot of tool stores around here that sell kart stuff that i didnt even know about NorthernTooL,Harbor Freight,and alot of other little places but ill look into what you said thank you for the advice