Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Announcements & Suggestions > Introduce Yourself!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:37 AM
X-Man

Default New Guy from RI

Hello guys, I'm from Rhode Island, & I recently purchased a "Carter Trail Buster". It had been sitting under a trailer truck body for 10 years or so, & the engine was stored inside the trailer truck body... Anyway, It came with an 8Hp Briggs, w/electric start. The motor,jack-shaft, & belt weren't attached, so, I took it all home, got it started (runs great after a carb rebuild!).

I believe the belt that was given to me was too long though. It's got a Comet 40 on it, & the belt is a COMET 203788, & the chart says it needs to have a 10 1/8" CD. I can only get 9 7/8 out of this Kart when it's fully adjusted... I was thinking of trying to use the belt by raising the motor up a bit, instead of buying a new belt. (does anyone think it's a bad idea to raise the motor 1/2"-1"?)

I'll have to post pics of it later.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:36 PM

Welcome to the forum,i'm from Ri too (warwick).What part are you from ?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:08 AM
X-Man

I live in Warwick as well, I'm in the Buttonwoods area.

Sorry I didn't get pics of it last night, real busy with the Fiancee...

I didn't mention that it looks like they used a right hand spindle on the left side, so, it's up-side down, & the steering arm has been bent up a bit & they used a bunch of nuts to space up the tie-rod end. Doesn't look like a great job, so, I'll either cut them off & re-weld them where they belong, or I'll make a new, one piece spacer that'll make it MUCH stronger, & not be so sloppy! ;-)

I'll be raising the motor tonight to see if that'll help with the clutch grabbing. If that doesn't work, I'll drop the motor back down & get the correct size belt for it.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:04 AM
Rebuilding KTM, Need Kart

hey, im another rhode islander. im from east providence. regarding raising the engine since this is a diy site then go for it. but not using the correct belt even if it engages and goes isnt a great idea. you will be able to ride for about a week before the belt will burn up or snap. also tc systems often start out slacked and then tighten, just my .02

on another note would you happen to have snowblower track systems that you could donate to science, and/or sell cheap?
Old 12-28-2011, 08:23 AM
X-Man

Sorry I don't have any parts, just what came with the Go-Kart. I have lots of old VW parts though... I've been building a Fiberglass Dune Buggy for the past few years... this Go-Kart is just one more thing that's gettin in the way of completing it... LOL! I also have a sand rail that needs to be totally gone through, then it can be driven, or sold... EVERY THINGS for sale... for the right price! ;-)

Once I lift the motor, the Center Distance to the shafts will be correct for the belt that I have, so, I'm thinking it'll be just fine! Well, I hope it will anyway, I guess I'll find out tonight! As it is, the CD is so close it is catching just a little bit, but, definitely not enough. After raising it, I'll have enough adjustment front & back to get it right where it needs to be. Just so you know.. I do understand how the TC works, & the importance of the CD of the shafts...

I'll get some pics of it too. I know it's not a home build or a DIY kart, but, it is a Kart... LOL!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:10 AM

I'm from buttonwoods to,capron farm dr. Next to the Shriners park
Old 12-28-2011, 11:34 AM
X-Man

I'm right on the other side of the Shriners... LOL! Bakers Creek Rd.

Maybe you could come check out my Kart sometime...

I want to make a trail to go down to the beach, but, not sure if I'll get in trouble for riding on the beach... If I get caught that is! ;-) LOL!

Not many places to go riding, especially in a live axle kart. It makes turning REALLY Hard!

Last edited by 66 Shorty; 12-28-2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added info
Old 08-22-2012, 01:01 AM

Default need parts

Hi i just go a go Kart any one wear you can buy parts close i live in warwick RI i live on Capron Farm in Buttonwoods
Old 08-22-2012, 03:22 AM

Thanked 3,527 Times in 2,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
Hi i just go a go Kart any one wear you can buy parts close i live in warwick RI i live on Capron Farm in Buttonwoods
Welcome to the forum. Please do not bump year old threads, but rather post in the general discussion area. Someone will help you out there
Old 08-22-2012, 07:54 AM

Where on capron farm you live?I live down towards the end near the beach.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:16 AM

Default hey

i live hafe way up the street on capron farm drive i work at greenwood liquros
Old 08-27-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
i live hafe way up the street on capron farm drive i work at greenwood liquros
Yeah i know u,lol.I buy my alcohol from you all the time.

Last edited by landuse; 08-28-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Closed Thread