Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Photo Gallery & Project Log

Notices

Old 10-30-2019, 03:15 PM

Default My Manco Migraine

The project I acquired is a Manco 485(popular opinion) w/ B&S 6.5hp Vanguard engine. that was neglected and abandoned during a double to single seat conversion. This started with the intention as a father (me) son (14yo) project. The project is now father, son, and daughter (11yo) project. So, that's a positive.

Here are the photos from day 1 when I rescued it from the barn.
Attached Thumbnails
20190914_131232.jpg   20190914_131354.jpg  

20190914_131406.jpg   20190914_131417.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleC For This Useful Post:
Hellion (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 03:24 PM

The engine fired after replacing varnish with fresh gas. Since then, it's been collecting parts and making progress in getting this sorted out.

New parts ordered so far:
- single seat
- 71" throttle cable
- throttle and brake pedal springs
- series 30 TQ
- tie rods and rod ends

The current plan is to function over form. Just get the thing driving, worry about making it pretty later- maybe.

The first order of business was completing the steering conversion. My son and I dragged the kart to my workplace where proceeded to apply sturdy but visually offensive welds. So, the kart now has steering.
Attached Thumbnails
20191030_154843.jpg   20191030_154332.jpg  

20191030_155717.jpg   20191030_154931.jpg  

20191030_154859.jpg  
Hellion (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 03:36 PM

The TQ sheaves were rusted. I was able to get the driver clutch clean. I could not physically separate the Comet 30 series driven pulley- I removed the spring clip- pulled, yanked, etc. **** thing won't budge. The unit will lock and unlock just fine, but can't get the pulley apart. I'll eventually get it separated to smooth out the sheaves and determine if it is a candidate for a rebuild or not. In the meantime, I picked up a Chinese set to keep the project moving forward.

Other "no pics" progress was removing the rust from the brake disc, de-crap-i-fying the brake caliper.

The next task is welding on pedal stops and installing the brake springs. Once I have working pedals, then it can be driven. Fun days ahead.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:16 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,140 Posts

Another alternate name could be the Bowlegged Bast#rd--on account of the wide-legged driving position.

I think that it would be better returned to a wide bench two seater because you have a lot of offspring to consider and the option of taking a passenger is always nice.

Now you're going to have to buy 2 more karts for them. One for yourself too, probably. Sucks for you, dad!

Great progress though.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:34 PM

Bowlegged bastard. . . kind of catchy.

My son wouldn't be able to drive the dual seat setup. This wheelbase is really short and he is 6'1". I'm 6'6", and if this were my kart I'd lengthen the chassis. Daughter is just over 5' and the driving position is comfortable to her.

A second kart has been added to the fleet: LINK
Hellion (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 06:15 PM

Ohhh, you're that other guy/same guy with the yellow kart. I'll pay better attention next time (not).

Glad to see you're building up the fleet. Who's the yellow kart for?
Old 10-30-2019, 06:30 PM

The yellow kart is my son's inaugural item in the world of one man's junk. . .
Old 10-30-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleC View Post
My son wouldn't be able to drive the dual seat setup. This wheelbase is really short and he is 6'1". I'm 6'6", and if this were my kart I'd lengthen the chassis. Daughter is just over 5' and the driving position is comfortable to her.
I have the same kart still in two seater configuration, actually the closest I have to an all original. I'm right at 6' and while not comfortable, I still drive my kids (almost 3&6) all over the neighborhood and thrash it in the dirtbike trails at the end of the block. The really bad part, the seat is bolted all the way to the front so my oldest can tiptoe the throttle if dad is too heavy for a hill and has to get out, so I'm severely cramped inside, but it can be done!
Old 10-30-2019, 08:09 PM

They were not designed for adult comfort, you know. The designed posture was 'knees in the chest'.

It's just the way it is.

BUT, you're doing it your own way of course.

Smerft85 (10-30-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 08:44 AM

It lives!

No pics, yet, but I got the throttle and return springs sorted out. I also attached the seat back and cushion to the modified seat frame. I didn't have materials to fabricate brackets for attaching the seat frame to the sliding mounts. This was the progress I needed to attempt a test drive.

Attempt #1 failed because I didn't install the TQ's key stock.

Attempt #2 successful after installing the key stock. Under the cloak of night and illuminating my pathway via head lamp, I made a few flybys through the neighborhood. Of course, I made a few discoveries during the shakedown run.

1. a fuel drip revealed itself. Gotta figure out the source, obviously.

2. need to adjust the throttle cable or return spring. I have a typical go kart return spring on the pedal and a very heavy "found it in a bin" spring on the engine's throttle lever. With the pedal mashed, I can pull the throttle lever forward for more RPMs/speed. The throttle works fine, I could leave it as-is for the kids.

3. I have the pedals installed on the outside of the frame. The pedal will contact the tire under full throttle and hard left turn. I might install a steering stop to prevent contact, or figure out a plan B.