Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > Off Topic Forum

Notices

Old 10-15-2019, 10:27 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

Default Some idiot needs help!!

[POBOY MODE]
Sooo, I was on Ebay, in the "Go Kart Parts" section just for the heckuvit. And I found THIS(my brain hurts):

Quote:
From the axle and flange to the steering components and bearings, it's important to choose the right parts for repairing or building your go-kart. To ensure you make the right choices, it's ideal to know the different part options out there so that you can make an informed decision. Luckily, with the wide selection of go-kart parts available to choose from, you can choose parts based on what is most important to you, the exact application of the kart, and the type of go-kart you have. Finding the go kart parts you need has never been easier.

What are the different types of go-kart brakes?

Although the disc type is the most common braking mechanism that you will find on a go-kart, there are other types that you can choose from based on budget, desired performance, and the speed the go-kart will be going. The four options of brakes within go kart parts are:

Band brake
Drum brake
Scrub brake
Disc brake

What are the drive axle options?

When building a go-kart or repairing one, it is good to know the different axle types so you can pick the one that moves the way you want. The axle options are:

Live axle: The wheels are mounted to the axle, which means everything spins together.
Differential: This is the type of axle that is on your kart. Yeah right!! This guy must be big spender or know nothing about karts!!
Dead: The axle is fixed, but the wheels spin.

What are the different clutch options?

There are two options. However, you can add an optional comet torque converter to improve the power and speed of the engine, especially if you will be racing or just want some extra speed. The two options are:

Heavy-duty, also known as a chain clutch
V-belt

What are the sprocket options?

Larger clutch sprockets make a kart go faster(*In stupid voice* Duh, I just decided to put bicycle gears and chain on it to make it go faster, and now it won't go anywhere! HELP!! *End stupid voice*), so it's important to easily obtain exactly what you need to achieve the result that you want. This is especially true since these simple parts have an impact on how the kart performs. There are two types to choose from:

Tire sprocket
A welded-on axle sprocket *snicker* Some bozo evidently thinks welding is the best way to hold a sprocket on.

What do you need for optimal wheel performance?

Of course, you don't have a complete go-kart without the wheels. The parts you choose will help determine behavior on the pavement. Proper wheels are also important to safety, as they should perform well in your preferred riding conditions. The following are the different components available for optimal wheel performance:

Street tires or go-kart tires
Single flange hub
Bearings, pro bearings add speed Say what??? Since when do higher quality bearings add speed? A bad bearing can only reduce speed or damage things.
Rims
No doubt written by someone in China who had to Gewgle Translate every word.

This guy needs to join us!
[/POBOY MODE]
Old 10-15-2019, 10:31 AM
Aka a kenbar

Ah hurrrdurrr durrr hurr urduh huh durrr
Old 10-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Here 8am-? Mon-Fri

First, I thought band and scrub brakes were the most common. Second, I don't think many gokarts came stock with differentials. Third, comet torque converters usually only increase speed by a few miles per hour, though they do increase torque. And don't most race karts use a racing centrifugal clutch? Fourth, larger clutch sprockets do increase speed, but at some point you'll just be burning the clutch. Fifth ish, do I even need to talk about welding on sprockets, sheesh. Is it just me, or does it seem like this guy knows very little about mechanics.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.@SMS View Post
First, I thought band and scrub brakes were the most common. Second, I don't think many gokarts came stock with differentials. Third, comet torque converters usually only increase speed by a few miles per hour, though they do increase torque. And don't most race karts use a racing centrifugal clutch? Fourth, larger clutch sprockets do increase speed, but at some point you'll just be burning the clutch. Fifth ish, do I even need to talk about welding on sprockets, sheesh. Is it just me, or does it seem like this guy knows very little about mechanics.
If it's from China, then nope.

I can't figure out how they confuse a differential and essentially a spool (live axle) that the mass majority of karts have.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:24 PM
TheBeal.

Was this in a book by chance?
Old 10-16-2019, 07:12 PM
Currently flathead-crazed

Look at the bottom of this page: https://www.ebay.com/b/Go-Kart-Parts...d43%7Ciid%3A2\

Quote:
Yeah, definitely written by some guy who doesn't know the basic things about true karts.
Probably huddled in some hut somewhere in China, using dial up internet, spurting out what his distant cousin's friend's friend said.
And yeah, race karts use centrifugal clutches, since once they're locked up, almost 100% of the horsepower is getting to the wheels. Torque converters rob about a quarter of that power.