Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Photo Gallery & Project Log

Notices

Old 06-17-2019, 01:02 PM

Default Mini Chipper Chopper build

Hey everyone, this will be my project page.
Got a no name roller frame off the 5miles app for 50 bucks
And a free 5hp Briggs. Iíve got the frame pretty much torn down. Getting ready to cut all the random metal welded to the frame off. Courtesy the previous owner and get all the surface rust off the frame. First pic is how I got it on day 1 second is how it looks now. Third pic is of my power plant. Iím thinking the name for this is Chipper Chopper
Attached Thumbnails
4E350C81-0995-4462-8DB5-2C514BD80E89.jpg   5EFA225B-B7FC-434E-B972-34CC5F700616.jpg  

D4D50811-607E-4F5E-94F9-B2912F26E907.jpg  
Old 06-17-2019, 01:51 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,140 Posts

Cool project, man.

Chipper Chopper, lol. That'll work.

And a late model Briggs too. If you carefully peel off the MTD sticker, you will find an original Briggs sticker underneath (original Briggs factory sticker). I think I can see the edge of it in your photo.
Crash87 (06-17-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 03:30 AM
Canned Monster

My dad has the same chipper it says Briggs & Stratton right on the engine.

Denny
Old 06-22-2019, 12:05 AM

Well made some headway on taking the rust off the frame
Attached Thumbnails
0732E7D1-58AF-4EED-868D-FD4D387C4C33.jpg  
Old 06-22-2019, 10:29 AM
Banned

Pay close attention to how the brake lever on the foot brake is attached on that thing. It was originally a road ready chinese chopper bike most likely with an electric start 250cc gas engine. I have one in my backyard just like it I am trying to sell. Someone put a 5hp tecumseh on it after they blew up the riceburner engine on it. I guess originally they would run around the 50-60 mph mark. I bought mine as a project on a whim. It was in a non-running state with no intake or carb.

I see it a challenge to get old engines running so first I got an intake and carb just to see if I could make the tecumseh run...and it run after a bit of tinkering.

A few minutes after I made that video I took it up the road and back. The front brake was not working. The rear brake was. I couldn't stand it...I had to ride the d@mned thing.

On the way back down towards the house the torque converter locked up and the front end started to shimmy like h3ll and it started to speed up uncontrollably without any extra throttle. I applied the rear brakes to slow the b!tch down and it wasn't happening so I started to panic and I put my man foot down on the pedal and the d@mn pedal assembly snapped off. It went under the bike. My foot almost went with it. I wrecked a Harley once. Not good. So that's why I say check that brake pedal where it mounts.

It was a downhill run to my house and it was only getting worse past my house. It wasn't going to slow down by itself. At the bottom of the hill is a nasty speed bump and a lake down in a deep nasty hole. I hated to make a choice real fast or to get hurt bad so I whipped it into my driveway and laid it down in the front yard. I tried to slide it in. The bike came in unharmed. But it hurt me. There was probably a bunch of other things I could have done differently at the time looking back. I just was running out of time and didn't have the time to think it all out. I didn't want it getting loose and ending up sideways in anyone else's car or house and I didnt want to let go of the bars to hit the kill switch for worries of crashing onto the asphalt.

Your frame is a bit different but I would bet money these bikes came off the same line. I did a lot of research on them about a year ago. There is no recognizable brand name on them that I could figure. They look cool. Gotta be careful with the metal it's flimsy in spots where it should be strong.

I can take some better pictures of mine if you want. A guy is supposed to buy it if he ever gets the money. I am holding it for an older black guy. He is retired and of all the people on the FB marketplace he was the only guy that didn't try to feed me a line of bs for it.

Keep sharing, I think it will be kick@ss when it's finished. I was gonna put a 212 on mine but I decided I was too big for the frame.

Good luck! Have fun!

Wes

Last edited by BigWes; 06-22-2019 at 10:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-25-2019, 12:31 PM

Hope I’m not too big for the frame lol I weigh 250 haha. Well I got a pit bike 110 cc kickstart Chinese clone motor and I’m toying with the idea of putting that engine on this chopper to complete the whole bada$$ chopper theme.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:48 PM

Yeah man that would be awesome if you could take some pics. Well that is if you still have it
Old 06-28-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWes View Post
Pay close attention to how the brake lever on the foot brake is attached on that thing. It was originally a road ready chinese chopper bike most likely with an electric start 250cc gas engine. I have one in my backyard just like it I am trying to sell. Someone put a 5hp tecumseh on it after they blew up the riceburner engine on it. I guess originally they would run around the 50-60 mph mark. I bought mine as a project on a whim. It was in a non-running state with no intake or carb.

I see it a challenge to get old engines running so first I got an intake and carb just to see if I could make the tecumseh run...and it run after a bit of tinkering.

A few minutes after I made that video I took it up the road and back. The front brake was not working. The rear brake was. I couldn't stand it...I had to ride the d@mned thing.

On the way back down towards the house the torque converter locked up and the front end started to shimmy like h3ll and it started to speed up uncontrollably without any extra throttle. I applied the rear brakes to slow the b!tch down and it wasn't happening so I started to panic and I put my man foot down on the pedal and the d@mn pedal assembly snapped off. It went under the bike. My foot almost went with it. I wrecked a Harley once. Not good. So that's why I say check that brake pedal where it mounts.

It was a downhill run to my house and it was only getting worse past my house. It wasn't going to slow down by itself. At the bottom of the hill is a nasty speed bump and a lake down in a deep nasty hole. I hated to make a choice real fast or to get hurt bad so I whipped it into my driveway and laid it down in the front yard. I tried to slide it in. The bike came in unharmed. But it hurt me. There was probably a bunch of other things I could have done differently at the time looking back. I just was running out of time and didn't have the time to think it all out. I didn't want it getting loose and ending up sideways in anyone else's car or house and I didnt want to let go of the bars to hit the kill switch for worries of crashing onto the asphalt.

Your frame is a bit different but I would bet money these bikes came off the same line. I did a lot of research on them about a year ago. There is no recognizable brand name on them that I could figure. They look cool. Gotta be careful with the metal it's flimsy in spots where it should be strong.

I can take some better pictures of mine if you want. A guy is supposed to buy it if he ever gets the money. I am holding it for an older black guy. He is retired and of all the people on the FB marketplace he was the only guy that didn't try to feed me a line of bs for it.

Keep sharing, I think it will be kick@ss when it's finished. I was gonna put a 212 on mine but I decided I was too big for the frame.

Good luck! Have fun!

Wes
Refinishing one just like that and it doesn't have a brake pedal. Could you take a few close up pics of it?
Old 06-28-2019, 10:07 PM
The REAL Poboy

Have you taken a close look at that Briggs output shaft?
Old 06-28-2019, 11:37 PM
Banned

The brake pedal broke off...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190601_150114267.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	953.8 KB
ID:	109267

Name:	IMG_20190601_150057323.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	774.9 KB
ID:	109268

Name:	IMG_20190313_213436390.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	109269
Old 07-22-2019, 01:01 PM

I haven’t looked at the output shaft yet. Why?
Old 07-23-2019, 01:36 AM

Thanked 3,479 Times in 2,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash87 View Post
I haven’t looked at the output shaft yet. Why?
Just to make sure it is straight, keyed and not tapered (I am assuming). Tapered is bad.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:57 PM

I’m actually trying to get the chipper flywheel off at the moment ... it is proving difficult
Old 07-30-2019, 12:54 AM

Thanked 3,479 Times in 2,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash87 View Post
I’m actually trying to get the chipper flywheel off at the moment ... it is proving difficult
Have you tried a gear puller?

Soaking in a penetrating oil for a few days also helps. Try a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF fluid
Old 08-05-2019, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the advise. I’ll try that this weekend!