Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Photo Gallery & Project Log

Notices

Old 10-24-2019, 09:04 AM
Aka a kenbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.@SMS View Post
So, buy some new hubs and wheels. If they are cracking, it's probably because they're old and or bad. A different engine won't fix that. And I've seen worse scoring.
It's bad enough to be burning oil and I haven't checked the oil recently either other then filling it but that video doesn't do justice of how bad it really is. You cannot see crosshatching at all anywhere in the cylinder. I'll snap a picture later I might check the Bearings too I wanna see how screwed those are.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:15 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

Mine has scoring too, but I'm lucky since it's a steel sleeve.
Yours, like mine, didn't smoke though, so you could probably get away with it.
Your wheels and hubs are trash!
Invest in some good ones and you'll never have those honestly downright dangerous problems.
JS - Yeah, the flathead design has more torque just due to the layout of rhe components. I'd rather have a little more torque than 1.5 HP!
Old 10-24-2019, 09:19 AM
Aka a kenbar

Yea it's nothing like yours jt. mine the entire cylinder is scored my finger nail catches on almost the entire cylinder wall it's real bad.
And it recently broke the pull cord so I'm just gonna rat rod this engine till she blows or locks up.
Or just I use it for parts. It will probably be thrown on a bike or mini bike and sold. But the wheels and hub are still in barely usable condition I could probably use a set of tires too but I'll take pictures of everything with some old pictures when I first got the kart. Now I'm going to make a different thread so we don't clog up this one sorry big wes.
Attached Thumbnails
20190302_134026.jpg   20191016_091459.jpg  

20190907_112618.jpg  
Old 10-24-2019, 10:53 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

FYI It's normal to not see crosshatching, the good areas of my cylinder wall are like a mirror and my engine never smoked. Now whether it would smoke if I put it back together and ran it as is, IDK.

If you need a fresh pull rope, I can mail one to you.

(I've got lots from the many starter pulleys I ordered from all the times I screwed it up while working on it)
PM me if you're interested.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:57 AM

How about y'all troubleshoot that thing in a different thread! This is a project log thread!!! Thank you!!!
Old 10-25-2019, 12:37 PM
Aka a kenbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWes View Post
How about y'all troubleshoot that thing in a different thread! This is a project log thread!!! Thank you!!!
i already said that sorry big wes have sid clean it up
Old 10-25-2019, 02:49 PM
Here 8am-? Mon-Fri

Hey, I found a pic of mine on my pc. I think it's the original paint (still has the streaker sticker on the floor). Also, it has a tc on a backplate with a 7" driven. I did use a 9t sprocket on the tc, and it still does 30, so you might want to take that into consideration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gokart.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	840.1 KB
ID:	113123

The pic is a bit old. It now has a predator, and v-tread tires in the front, they're much less prone to pulling you around on the trail.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget GoKart View Post
i already said that sorry big wes have sid clean it up
I'd just as soon keep this amongst ourselves to be honest with you. I don't mind Sid making a helpful suggestion or a useful comment here or there but his mod skills are somewhat questionable at times.

Your apology is noted and accepted but really no worries. I am not angry or disgruntled in any way shape or form.

I just do plan on getting this thread back on track as soon as weather and time and a few other things permit.

That ol Ken-Bar really was my favorite machine to drive. Right now the frame is sitting beside the privacy fence waiting on me to get back to it...kinda disturbs me not being able to get back to it actually...but I know I will. I do have other things that I need to finish as well.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.@SMS View Post
Hey, I found a pic of mine on my pc. I think it's the original paint (still has the streaker sticker on the floor). Also, it has a tc on a backplate with a 7" driven. I did use a 9t sprocket on the tc, and it still does 30, so you might want to take that into consideration.

Attachment 113123

The pic is a bit old. It now has a predator, and v-tread tires in the front, they're much less prone to pulling you around on the trail.
That is a good looking kart you have there! What you guys really need to do is go to the other page and make a general Ken-Bar discussion thread that way everyone can join in on the fun. Maybe more people can be exposed to the subject and share the Ken-Bar experience??? What do you guys think about that? I'll go over to the discussion page and try and start one up!!!

Thanks guys! Maybe you can move your discussion over there and let my project log be about my project and we can share comments and questions about that when I get back to it ok?

Thanks,

Wes