Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Electric Projects

Notices

Old 07-02-2019, 07:28 PM

Default First run results (48V 1800W on a large kart)

So to any who are interested, I got everything put together enough to make a test run this afternoon.

Pretty much as I though, it's significantly under-powered. It does go plenty fast when it's able to reach a reasonable speed (level ground, not turning). However when going uphill, it runs out of steam very quickly, if you try to make a turn when going uphill - it just can't do that. Motor will come to a complete stop. I think having the live axle makes those turns very hard on the motor, and even more hard when you are already slowing due to having to make a climb.

The controller would become very hot to the touch, not so hot that you couldn't touch it, but hot enough that you couldn't touch it very long, same with the motor. When first starting, when trying to carry my 200lbs in a turn with no momentum, just trying to slowly get myself pointed the right direction before trying to take off, the chain would clatter and it would all just stop, and the motor would stop responding, I'm guessing this is due to an overcurrent/temperature issue or something with the controller. If I would wait a few minutes, it would work again. Once up to speed, it would do just fine - again, until you hit a hill or started trying to turn again.

My plan is to purchase a 2nd motor and controller and run it on the opposite side of the axle with the same sprocket that I have running on the normal drive side. Not sure how hard it will be - ordinarily there would be no drive on that side so there is no mount point where the motor will need to be.

Anyway, that's what I've got so far. It's fun to see it running, and I can't wait to see what it'll do with 3600W pushing it.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:29 PM

Kool, glad you got 'er going
I too have noticed that heavy karts + live axles + big wheels = don't mix too well
...then, we go & add a bunch of batteries (~40 extra lbs.)

Does your controller have a (3) speed option/plug?
...if so, do you have a switch connected?

If not, you may be only running at "medium speed"
...this is the default speed, if a switch is not connected to this plug.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:56 PM

I do have the speed selector connector. All of the very rough documentation I was able to find indicated that leaving the circuit(s) on this connector open was the fastest option (yellow to ground == slow, blue to ground == medium, open == fast).

I remember you posting a video about this, I'll go back and have a look.

Thank you.

Edit: I just went out and tested, on my controller, connecting either the yellow or the blue wire to ground yields a lower top speed.

Last edited by scorn001; 07-03-2019 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Additional information
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scorn001 For This Useful Post:
Bmr4Karts (08-06-2019), JoelR (07-05-2019)