Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 02-28-2020, 05:53 AM
Aka a kenbar

How the heck... That would take a hit hard enough to kill someone... now that i think about it they probabaly jumped it. Also have you inspected under the engine plate?
Old 02-28-2020, 07:51 AM

7thofa2nd, I believe it was the first page and the first time the robron was mentioned, the supports for the front axles that are present on your robron don't exist on his kart and there is no live axle either. As I stated early on, everything about this kart screams MANCO! Also I believe it to be a 400 series of some sort i.e. 400-405, it's just too close to manco style and nothing about it seems to be a vintage race kart like the robron or the yellowjacket mentioned earlier.

We've had the argument here before about that same style, kelch corp steering wheel, they used those on many many karts, and riding mowers. I apologize for being a bit explosive, seemed everything i had said was blatantly ignores and the opposite was suggested, started to appear obvious.

With all that behind us, the following reasons are why I strongly believe it's a manco that's been beat on, the pedals are typical manco, wheels from what I've seen look like 5"manco split wheels, frame style very closely matches the 400 I built for the kids, steering wheel was common on manco along with a list of others, the bar that has been cut off the back is a support for the original seat frame and it's the same location as the 400.

If I'm correct, the O.P. wants to install a gx270 and the rear of the frame shouldn't fit a big block without some modifications because it's a very small kart. The dead axle only providing power to one wheel could also be problematic, torque steer, no traction, too much stress on the frame from the big block, and so-on. If a big block is being shoe-horned into that frame I personally wouldn't do it without a live axle, and a lot of frame support, my gx270 is capable of bending steel and I had to reinforce the way I built the jackshaft for it, and that kart is way bigger and heavier, still torque steers and it's fast enough I'm basically afraid of it. I still think a 212 or similar is more than plenty for that little kart, then find another $50 deal on a bigger, beefier frame for the gx270.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smerft85 For This Useful Post:
7thofa2nd (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 09:57 AM

Get it sand-blasted, that will uncover all of it's dirty secrets...
Old 02-28-2020, 10:42 AM
Aka a kenbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smerft85 View Post
7thofa2nd, I believe it was the first page and the first time the robron was mentioned, the supports for the front axles that are present on your robron don't exist on his kart and there is no live axle either. As I stated early on, everything about this kart screams MANCO! Also I believe it to be a 400 series of some sort i.e. 400-405, it's just too close to manco style and nothing about it seems to be a vintage race kart like the robron or the yellowjacket mentioned earlier.

We've had the argument here before about that same style, kelch corp steering wheel, they used those on many many karts, and riding mowers. I apologize for being a bit explosive, seemed everything i had said was blatantly ignores and the opposite was suggested, started to appear obvious.

With all that behind us, the following reasons are why I strongly believe it's a manco that's been beat on, the pedals are typical manco, wheels from what I've seen look like 5"manco split wheels, frame style very closely matches the 400 I built for the kids, steering wheel was common on manco along with a list of others, the bar that has been cut off the back is a support for the original seat frame and it's the same location as the 400.

If I'm correct, the O.P. wants to install a gx270 and the rear of the frame shouldn't fit a big block without some modifications because it's a very small kart. The dead axle only providing power to one wheel could also be problematic, torque steer, no traction, too much stress on the frame from the big block, and so-on. If a big block is being shoe-horned into that frame I personally wouldn't do it without a live axle, and a lot of frame support, my gx270 is capable of bending steel and I had to reinforce the way I built the jackshaft for it, and that kart is way bigger and heavier, still torque steers and it's fast enough I'm basically afraid of it. I still think a 212 or similar is more than plenty for that little kart, then find another $50 deal on a bigger, beefier frame for the gx270.
Karl did...he put 20hp on 1wd i think
Old 02-28-2020, 10:55 AM

Bgk what would I be looking for under the engine plate? I have flipped it in its side and " cleaned under there. the engine plate itself looks very strong. and I don't know how they could break the spindle off with a 5hp briggs.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget GoKart View Post
Karl did...he put 20hp on 1wd i think
Believe he said it torque steers like a monster too?
Old 02-29-2020, 05:30 PM

while I rigged up the 270 today with 2 bots holding it down and rode it. but the chain kept falling off because I only used 2 bolts. so tomorrow I will try and drill the holes.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:33 AM

it worked 270 is great. just got a new sprocket. am I in the build off, did I do it rite and is there anything else I need to do?
Old 03-06-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karts of Kaos View Post
it worked 270 is great. just got a new sprocket. am I in the build off, did I do it rite and is there anything else I need to do?
Build off hasn't officially started, to enter you would have had to make your sign with the password, would have had to have pictures throughout the build process, and the end product would need to be safely functioning, kill switch, steer correctly, brakes work and so-on. Long story short, no, you aren't entered into the build off.

Without even a picture posted of your kart with the 270 on it we have no idea how close it actually is to being finished, and we don't know what else you need to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smerft85 For This Useful Post:
Karts of Kaos (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 01:50 PM

lets see what do I need to do. well brakes, sissy bars, tires, seat, maybe paint,make sign, and most important of all take pics. when does the 2020 build off actually start? I can hold off on doing things for a while and just keep riding it the way it is. or maybe if I finish it too soon I can Find a new build. so many options.