Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > More Builds

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 01:40 AM

Default Track sled.

Anyone looked into these or thought of making one? I moved from Texas to my home state of Montana and since ice fishing is one of my favorite pass times, "why not". Russians appear to be way ahead of use in the states on this.
https://youtu.be/U1BR6JNNuBg
Old 03-28-2018, 02:30 AM

They have alot of interesting setups that lead me to believe they might have alternative parts for go karts or buggy. https://youtu.be/wj1yNTmz5LQ
https://youtu.be/j0g8Tmr6uNE

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

https://youtu.be/-h1I-l-2XQY
Old 03-30-2018, 01:04 PM

I've seen these for a few years. Been collecting parts for a possible build. They seem to be very popular in Russia and not so much in the US.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:06 AM

I wanna know what Torque converter setup there using, probably just as cheap as the Chinese 40tav units where getting but way better quality.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:20 AM

I have a new 13hp Harbor Freight motor and picked up a Chinese 40 series torque converter. I have an old Polaris snowmobile with the engine bad and was planning on using the jack shaft, suspension, and track. I was planning on making a 1” square steel tube frame. From what I’ve figured is it would need about a 6-1 gear ratio after the torque converter.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:17 PM

It seems like a cool idea, but why not just buy a cheap old air cooled snowmobile and tow a sled behind it with all of your stuff? It seems like a lot less work and it would go faster too.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:18 PM

Snowmobiles and ATVs seem to be more popular here anyway for Ice fishing. Seen a few mini bikes with tracks.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:12 PM

They pretty much are snowmobiles, just light and homemade. I'm not opposed to the idea of an older sled and replacing the engine like you are saying. There is a guy on YouTube that used a 6.5 predator and a tav30 in a kawasaki 440 sled for 1979. Does almost 20mph and has a fair amount of power. Still have a 40 series plate and my unused powerland 16hp.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrownie View Post
It seems like a cool idea, but why not just buy a cheap old air cooled snowmobile and tow a sled behind it with all of your stuff? It seems like a lot less work and it would go faster too.
Because these are lighter, cheaper, more reliable, and if you set the suspension up right you can use them all year around. Speed is not a concern with these. Being able to pull large loads is the key. Have you ever owned an old air cooled snowmobile? Very tempermental and can be just a pain in the ***.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:12 PM

Had an '86 Polaris 440 Trail Indy, air cooled 2 cylinder with dual Mikuni carbs. Great sled, but it was hard to get it going. Track needed to be replaced, but was too expensive so we sold it after having it from '96-2004. Air cooled sled engines can be ran all year around, just have to jet them properly.

What would you be using for track anyway? Probably want to hear it close to 10:1.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:29 PM

An 86 Polaris 440 trail indy is actually a fan cooled motor. A lot of the 70s model snowmobiles were true air cooled engines. Meaning the engines cylinder heads were stuck out of the hood and had large cooling fins cast into them. I have a 90 Polaris indy 340 sport to use the drive axle, track, and suspension out of. The engine melted a piston and needs crank bearings. It would cost over $250 just in parts to fix the motor. In my opinion not worth fixing.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:28 PM

Almost forgot. More info can be found on the internet if you Google "motodog". Most of it is in Russian but can be translated.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpd66 View Post
Because these are lighter, cheaper, more reliable, and if you set the suspension up right you can use them all year around. Speed is not a concern with these. Being able to pull large loads is the key. Have you ever owned an old air cooled snowmobile? Very tempermental and can be just a pain in the ***.
Yes I have had several, I currently have a 94 polaris 440 Indy, it is a fantastic sled. It runs amazing in any weather. I have a newer sled that i take up in the steep and deep, but when I want to mess around I ride the little 440. You never have to worry about them overheating (as long as itís under 50) and honestly after working on my new mountain sled all the time I wish it was as simple and bulletproof as my old Indy. And for pulling large loads, Iíve pulled other snowmobiles multiple times without issue. And those old air cooled sleds are pretty dang light.

I can see some of the benefits of a track sled, but if it was me I would prefer an old snowmobile or an atv. Or a cushman trackster if you could find one. Those are awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
D816CBAB-C390-48C3-9E02-B4D3F142435C.jpg  
Old 04-02-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
An 86 Polaris 440 trail indy is actually a fan cooled motor. A lot of the 70s model snowmobiles were true air cooled engines. Meaning the engines cylinder heads were stuck out of the hood and had large cooling fins cast into them. I have a 90 Polaris indy 340 sport to use the drive axle, track, and suspension out of. The engine melted a piston and needs crank bearings. It would cost over $250 just in parts to fix the motor. In my opinion not worth fixing.
To me fan cooled and air cooled are pretty much one in the same. Like for example, Deutz diesel engines have been considered air cooled and those also have a fan. Regardless can't wait to see this thing being built.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrownie View Post
Yes I have had several, I currently have a 94 polaris 440 Indy, it is a fantastic sled. It runs amazing in any weather. I have a newer sled that i take up in the steep and deep, but when I want to mess around I ride the little 440. You never have to worry about them overheating (as long as itís under 50) and honestly after working on my new mountain sled all the time I wish it was as simple and bulletproof as my old Indy. And for pulling large loads, Iíve pulled other snowmobiles multiple times without issue. And those old air cooled sleds are pretty dang light.

I can see some of the benefits of a track sled, but if it was me I would prefer an old snowmobile or an atv. Or a cushman trackster if you could find one. Those are awesome.
I agree with everything your stating about snowmobiles. I have a 88 Indy 400 that I use in my woods. The problem with it is its hard to get around in tight spaces and isn't geared right for pulling logs like I want to do. I see your in Montana and have mountains. I don't think a track sled/motodog would work in that terrain. Search Youtube for motodog and you will see how they use them.
The Following User Says Thank You to vpd66 For This Useful Post:
Ebrownie (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 08:28 PM

I'm sure you could re-gear the sled for a lower ratio. Those drive sprockets do wear out, so I don't see why one couldn't. But a purpose built tracked mule would be better.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:18 AM

I could re-gear the snowmobile but the chain case is only so big so you can only go so far. The workhorse snowmobiles actually have a gearbox between the secondary clutch and chain case. They have low range/high range and reverse. I've looked for used gear boxes but they aren't real common and are expensive when someone does have them. I still like the track sled for simplicity, small size, and year around capabilities.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:10 PM

Look for a gearbox from a Polaris Trailboss. It has a high, low, reverse.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartorbust View Post
Look for a gearbox from a Polaris Trailboss. It has a high, low, reverse.
I know those gearboxes well. I owned a Trailboss and a Scrambler. I had to disassemble the gearbox on the trail boss because it sheared a pin for the shift fork. They would be kind of hard to retro fit into a snowmobile because there designed to be hung in the frame of the 4 wheeler. Plus I've seen used ones fetch big money.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I know those gearboxes well. I owned a Trailboss and a Scrambler. I had to disassemble the gearbox on the trail boss because it sheared a pin for the shift fork. They would be kind of hard to retro fit into a snowmobile because there designed to be hung in the frame of the 4 wheeler. Plus I've seen used ones fetch big money.
I was more meaning using it in your custom build, not retrofit into a sled.