Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 07:45 PM

Default What bearings for jackshaft?!

I have gone through 2-3 of the 4 jackshaft bearings very quickly. Like within a couple hours of riding. I used a $10 set from amazon so wasn’t expecting much but thought I might get a little more out of them.

What does everyone else use for theirs? My dimensions are the 5/8 shaft with 1 3/8 outter diameter.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:07 PM

Thanked 1,819 Times in 1,507 Posts

Lets see what the setup is... Pics
What's the kart/powerplant... Ect...
Old 07-26-2018, 09:43 PM

I donít have any pictures of set up at the moment, but I have a 3Ē piece of pipe with a bearing on both sides, then the driveN unit and sprocket in about a 4Ē gap, then about 3Ē of pipe with bearings on both sides again.

So basically it goes:

Bearing, 3Ē length of pipe, bearing, driven and sprocket, bearing, 3Ē length of pipe, bearing.

13 horse motor, 40 series clutch set up, 5/8 jack shaft, 9t to 60t sprockets.

Everything works great, just the bearings wear out in about 30-45 minutes of riding. Chain isnít too tight, itís got about 1/2Ē play.

Iím thinking itís failure due to bearings exceeding their max RPM? RPM for the bearings is Not listed but thatís my theory. Bearings Iím using are a 5/8 inner dia. And a 1 3/8 outter dia.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:08 PM

Try to use good quality bearings....

Is alignment good...Of everything??...

Is there any lateral movement(side loading) of the bearing??

Hows the fitment of the bearing into its housing?
Old 07-26-2018, 10:29 PM

Thatís what Iím trying to find answers too. What quality bearings are others using?
Old 07-26-2018, 10:37 PM
2018 Buildoff Winner ! 😎😎

I think my 420cc with a 40 series had a 3/4 shaft if I’m remembering correctly. Might help.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:02 PM
Assistant to the Manager

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,743 Posts

My 420cc buggy has a 3/4" jackshaft using a 40 series.
I used pillow blocks / bearings. I think these are what I have.
Which reminds me, I should grease them up.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UCP204-12-3...LH_TitleDesc=0

How fast are you turning the engine?
My 212cc / 30 series TC uses 5/8" bearings. When I turn the engine 8k RPM, the jackshaft should be just over 7k RPM. I know you aren't turning the 13HP that fast, or are you?
Attached Thumbnails
pbbearings.jpg  
Old 07-27-2018, 06:10 AM

Let me guess... You bought hand truck bearings.

You need high speed bearings. They are most likely the exact same kind that go kart wheels use, which is a 5/8" ID, 1⅜" OD ball bearing with an external snap ring for a stop.

Post pics, but that's where my money is

Edit:. Better yet, post a link to the Amazon bearings you bought.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by areams View Post
That’s what I’m trying to find answers too. What quality bearings are others using?
No... Those are direct questions to you... As in with lack of pics... Describe the situation to us...
NSK, F A G, SKF.... Are few choice brands...

As a former electric motor repair mechanic, most failures occured with bearings, and the cheapest ones destroyed quickly... Under no load.

Ahh yes pillow blocks... Now there's a good use for bearings of a jackshaft...
Old 07-27-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob58o View Post
My 420cc buggy has a 3/4" jackshaft using a 40 series.
I used pillow blocks / bearings. I think these are what I have.
Which reminds me, I should grease them up.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UCP204-12-3...LH_TitleDesc=0

How fast are you turning the engine?
My 212cc / 30 series TC uses 5/8" bearings. When I turn the engine 8k RPM, the jackshaft should be just over 7k RPM. I know you aren't turning the 13HP that fast, or are you?
My engine would be 3600 as I am leaving this one governed. My 40 series came with a 5/8 driven unit. If I have to redo my jackshaft setup, I will be switching to the pillow blocks. Didn’t find/know those when I originally built this kart.

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by anickode View Post
Let me guess... You bought hand truck bearings.

You need high speed bearings. They are most likely the exact same kind that go kart wheels use, which is a 5/8" ID, 1⅜" OD ball bearing with an external snap ring for a stop.

Post pics, but that's where my money is

Edit:. Better yet, post a link to the Amazon bearings you bought.
Mine were a flanged set but as you say that and me looking again, that’s what they were. It said lawn mower, wheel barrows, carts and hand trucks. I figured when ordered it said lawn mower and was thinking of load capacity rather than rpm. Just couldn’t take the speed. Learning curve for me. I ordered a snap ring set so they should be in soon. Here are the new ones I ordered with snap ring.

XiKe 4 Pack 99502HNR Ball Bearing ID 5/8" x OD 1-3/8" x Width 7/16", Double Seal and Snap Ring, Stable Performance and Cost-Effective, Go Kart Wheel Mini Bikes, Mower and More. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HF2BL0I..._3bYwBbD8E6184

Here is the link for the ones that I am now realizing were the wrong ones.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully the new ones I ordered will work. If they won't and someone has a link to some that they know work for a jackshaft, that would be great! Thanks for the help!
Old 07-27-2018, 10:29 AM
G'me sumthin to write on

Thanked 1,015 Times in 812 Posts

So the bearings you just bought are cheaper (less expensive) than the ones that failed?
Old 07-27-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcome-ezgo View Post
So the bearings you just bought are cheaper (less expensive) than the ones that failed?
They say suitable for high speeds in the description where the others did not. Go kart and mini bike is in the description also. I will take the risk for $9 since I am wanting to have it ready this weekend for my nephews birthday party.

I haven't gotten any links or suggestions on what to actually get other than what anickode and bob58o suggested. Pillow blocks are my last resort as I have to modify the entire jackshaft set up I have in place and the ones I ordered are inline with what anickode suggested (snap ring stops for go kart and higher speed application).
Old 07-27-2018, 01:04 PM

There has been limited answers because you've only given us limited information.

Mckutzy rightly asked for pictures so we can better understand what your situation is. It's like saying my lawn mower is not cutting the grass evenly. There are so many details that can cause that to happen. Same for bearings prematurely wearing out.

Also, mckutzy asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
Try to use good quality bearings....

Is alignment good...Of everything??...

Is there any lateral movement(side loading) of the bearing??

Hows the fitment of the bearing into its housing?
...but you never answered.

Those are key questions in determining if there is excess stress on the bearings. Pictures would help us see what factors might be in play with checking on what needs to be aligned.

The only suggestions you got were people randomly guessing what you had because you didn't give the details (what type of bearings you used, the brand, the specs, or where you got them from).

Kudos to anickode for be able to guess the type of bearings you have.

Also, some questions that would help us help you:
How have the bearings been in the past? Has the jackshaft bearings always been destroying the bearings? Was anything changed around the time this started?
Or is the kart new to you and you just got it running (you know no history of the bearings)?
Old 07-27-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8hairy1 View Post
There has been limited answers because you've only given us limited information.

Mckutzy rightly asked for pictures so we can better understand what your situation is. It's like saying my lawn mower is not cutting the grass evenly. There are so many details that can cause that to happen. Same for bearings prematurely wearing out.

Also, mckutzy asked:

...but you never answered.

Those are key questions in determining if there is excess stress on the bearings. Pictures would help us see what factors might be in play with checking on what needs to be aligned.

The only suggestions you got were people randomly guessing what you had because you didn't give the details (what type of bearings you used, the brand, the specs, or where you got them from).

Kudos to anickode for be able to guess the type of bearings you have.

Also, some questions that would help us help you:
How have the bearings been in the past? Has the jackshaft bearings always been destroying the bearings? Was anything changed around the time this started?
Or is the kart new to you and you just got it running (you know no history of the bearings)?

Everything is aligned, jackshaft spins easily once pushed through the bearings. I understand mckutzy is wanting more info, but answering the question of "What bearings do everyone use for their jackshafts?" with "Try using good quality bearings" doesn't help. I'm not too concerned with factors that could have caused it because I do believe it was because I purchased non high speed bearings.

I already mentioned that the chain wasn't too tight thus not causing any excess strain on the bearings, and I already have mentioned that the problem to my best knowledge was simply that I did not use a bearing rated for higher speed.

I gave as much detail as I could about the set up without having a picture of it.

The set up was made by me as this is a chinese buggy cart that I got without the engine so it hasn't had any previous history of any of this. I just recently got this kart going and only have a couple hours total of driving time on it since built.

Not trying to be unappreciative of any help because this forum has been great help for other random things I have been able to find info for. Very knowledgable people here and it's been an awesome resource. I really do appreciate the help not just in this thread but all of them I have posted or used so far.

Not sure what else would be needed though other than the info (ID and OD sizing) I gave as to asking a question of what bearings people use for their jackshafts..? Forget about the fact that I wore out a set of bearings not intended for high speed use (realized that after they failed) and think about the question posed.

What bearings do people use for their jackshafts?
Old 07-27-2018, 03:03 PM
G'me sumthin to write on

Thanked 1,015 Times in 812 Posts

https://www.bmikarts.com/High-Speed-...hoCsWoQAvD_BwE
Old 07-27-2018, 03:39 PM

Here's the bearings I use...

Old 07-27-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcome-ezgo View Post
Thanks. I looked at BMI earlier but must have missed these. Have the same number stamped on them as the amazon set I just ordered.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:48 PM

It really depends on how your kart is set up. If it's got a factory jackshaft, it probably uses press fit bearings in a sleeved housing, and that's fine.

most people who install a jackshaft themselves either on a homemade kart, or as an addition to an existing kart use pillow blocks, because most lack the equipment and ability to machine the appropriate ID into a piece of tube to press bearings into.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:37 PM

I'd try these. Lol.
Attached Thumbnails
PSX_20180727_182041.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy H For This Useful Post:
areams (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy H View Post
I'd try these. Lol.

ORDERED!
Closed Thread