Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-24-2019, 03:38 PM
Budget GoKart's Avatar
Budget GoKart Budget GoKart is offline
Aka a kenbar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: indiana
Posts: 791
Thanks: 11
Thanked 67 Times in 64 Posts
Default Quick Warning to all karters

When racing go karts on the street be very careful because if you hit a friend on a similar kart you will either spin out or flip (i flipped). My tire grabbed the side bar of his go kart, and threw me off of my go kart and almost flipped i was fine and wearing a helmet. ALWAYS WEAR HELMETS NO MATTER WHAT!!!!! The karts where fine just my throttle cable is loose now thats all. Heres some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
1566682516191-1943406136.jpg   15666825489571938512166.jpg  

1566682567287566175649.jpg   15666825813021358177415.jpg  

__________________
Certified Yerfdog 3202-3203 expert.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Budget GoKart For This Useful Post:
JTSpeedDemon (08-24-2019)
  #2  
Old 08-24-2019, 05:39 PM
JTSpeedDemon's Avatar
JTSpeedDemon JTSpeedDemon is offline
Currently flathead-crazed
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,874
Thanks: 442
Thanked 219 Times in 201 Posts
Default

Good l'il disclaimer for the newbies to the hobby.
I have scars just above my right heel to show for the time I crashed my go kart into the curb.
Don't just be careful when racing, be careful ALL THE TIME!
And yes, always wear a helmet.
__________________
Local Bird Engineering Nut
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-24-2019, 07:46 PM
Dingocat's Avatar
Dingocat Dingocat is offline
Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 320
Thanks: 28
Thanked 57 Times in 47 Posts
Default

And don't be dumb and jump your kart. It may seem great but is a good way to break it or yourself if you don't land right.
__________________
Current Manco hoarder
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-24-2019, 08:21 PM
Kartorbust's Avatar
Kartorbust Kartorbust is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 2,711
Thanks: 583
Thanked 734 Times in 618 Posts
Default

I might suggest a neck brace with a helmet. Whiplash sucks and so does a broken neck. Wear pants not shorts, should be obvious on why.
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-24-2019, 09:52 PM
mckutzy mckutzy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: bc, canada
Posts: 7,344
Thanks: 812
Thanked 1,753 Times in 1,447 Posts
Default

Now ya wonder why I say 40 somthing is fast enough.. 60is too far.. Albeit you may not have gone that fast but still...
__________________
10yr+ club..... My current ride- http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5461
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2019, 05:49 AM
anickode's Avatar
anickode anickode is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 1,763
Thanks: 58
Thanked 781 Times in 539 Posts
Default

Another good suggestion: Don't race go karts on public streets. It's against the law and dangerous. Not just the risk of you getting hit by a car, but if you hit a person out walking, a child, a dog, etc, you will be legally and financially ruined for a very long time.

If you're under 18, your parents will be legally and financially ruined for a very long time.

Private roads are a little different, but if anything happens, you'd have to prove you had permission to be there.

It's an unfortunate thing, but in our sue-happy society, some things aren't worth the risk.

That said, I DO run my karts up and down our gravel back road out in the middle of farm country, but it's straight, flat, I can see a mile ahead and behind, and I'm paying close attention to my surroundings, not focusing on a race. Plus the few neighbors I have along this stretch are usually also out running go karts, ATVs, UTVs, minibikes, dirt bikes, etc on the weekends, so i'm not worried about them calling the police on me for being out there. Back when I lived in a subdivision, no freaking way.
__________________
"Well that would be a bomb."
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anickode For This Useful Post:
txluke (08-25-2019)
  #7  
Old 08-25-2019, 07:32 AM
JTSpeedDemon's Avatar
JTSpeedDemon JTSpeedDemon is offline
Currently flathead-crazed
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,874
Thanks: 442
Thanked 219 Times in 201 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
Now ya wonder why I say 40 somthing is fast enough.. 60is too far.. Albeit you may not have gone that fast but still...
40+ mph is the point where you need to have a well sorted out steering system, grippy tires on balanced and aligned wheels, and lockup capable hydraulic brakes.
Oh, and a full roll cage and seatbelts, not to mention leathers, neckbrace and a full face helmet.
Only then do you have a reasonable safety margin.
__________________
Local Bird Engineering Nut
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-25-2019, 10:49 AM
Budget GoKart's Avatar
Budget GoKart Budget GoKart is offline
Aka a kenbar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: indiana
Posts: 791
Thanks: 11
Thanked 67 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartorbust View Post
I might suggest a neck brace with a helmet. Whiplash sucks and so does a broken neck. Wear pants not shorts, should be obvious on why.
A shirt didnt stop roadburn and pants dont either but it does help a little

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by anickode View Post
Another good suggestion: Don't race go karts on public streets. It's against the law and dangerous. Not just the risk of you getting hit by a car, but if you hit a person out walking, a child, a dog, etc, you will be legally and financially ruined for a very long time.

If you're under 18, your parents will be legally and financially ruined for a very long time.

Private roads are a little different, but if anything happens, you'd have to prove you had permission to be there.

It's an unfortunate thing, but in our sue-happy society, some things aren't worth the risk.

That said, I DO run my karts up and down our gravel back road out in the middle of farm country, but it's straight, flat, I can see a mile ahead and behind, and I'm paying close attention to my surroundings, not focusing on a race. Plus the few neighbors I have along this stretch are usually also out running go karts, ATVs, UTVs, minibikes, dirt bikes, etc on the weekends, so i'm not worried about them calling the police on me for being out there. Back when I lived in a subdivision, no freaking way.
The only way anyone in my neighborhood ever cares is if property gets damaged or someone gets hurt other than that they can give a crap less. I its a mix of most people are working and leave their kids home and noone cares because kids are off video games and watching go karts go by.
__________________
Certified Yerfdog 3202-3203 expert.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-25-2019, 12:44 PM
JTSpeedDemon's Avatar
JTSpeedDemon JTSpeedDemon is offline
Currently flathead-crazed
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,874
Thanks: 442
Thanked 219 Times in 201 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget GoKart View Post
A shirt didnt stop roadburn and pants dont either but it does help a little.
I once crashed my bike at maybe 15-20 mph, and even though I was wearing jeans, I still have a distinct half-dollar sized scar months later.
It tore through the jeans, but I guarantee it would've been MUCH worse without jeans.
And there's a BIG difference between a cotton t-shirt and denim jeans.
__________________
Local Bird Engineering Nut
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-25-2019, 04:35 PM
anickode's Avatar
anickode anickode is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 1,763
Thanks: 58
Thanked 781 Times in 539 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSpeedDemon View Post
40+ mph is the point where you need to have a well sorted out steering system, grippy tires on balanced and aligned wheels, and lockup capable hydraulic brakes.
Oh, and a full roll cage and seatbelts, not to mention leathers, neckbrace and a full face helmet.
Only then do you have a reasonable safety margin.
Idk about specifically hydraulic brakes. I wouldn't run 40+ with a normal OEM band brake or scrubbers, but I would trust a mechanical disc as long as it was lockup capable.

Shoot, I have one kart that will run 45mph with a band brake, but I built the brake from scratch, and it will lock 'em up on pavement no problem, even with my fat arse on it. 5" diameter, 1" wide band with ⅜" thick semi-metallic friction material.
__________________
"Well that would be a bomb."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-25-2019, 05:06 PM
Kartorbust's Avatar
Kartorbust Kartorbust is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 2,711
Thanks: 583
Thanked 734 Times in 618 Posts
Default

It's a matter of wearing jeans vs shorts, at least there is a protective layer between skin and pavement, which is what I was getting at. It wont help much, but the pants will take up a good portion of damage beforehand.

Either way, be smart and careful. Don't pull a Vasily.
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kartorbust For This Useful Post:
JTSpeedDemon (08-25-2019)
  #12  
Old 08-25-2019, 05:19 PM
BigWes's Avatar
BigWes BigWes is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Alabama
Posts: 437
Thanks: 34
Thanked 150 Times in 115 Posts
Default

Yea, road rash sucks. I am glad you didn't get seriously injured. I hate that anyone gets hurt at any time and I certainly don't wish it on any one. Especially you young guys. Take care with exhaust pipes and such. Also exposed chains. It's the little things that will get you.

Keep your scratches and scrapes clean so they don't get infected.

As far as brakes go I wish we could all have 4 wheel ABS on our karts but it just isn't feasible. I know that doesn't sound particularly fun but I think it would prevent a lot of crashes.

I know for a fact ABS has saved my life a few times on my Harley with people pulling out in front of me from side streets and crossing in front of me. Folks just don't care anymore and cell phones don't help either.

My post isn't to criticize you. I might have done the very same thing. I think in situations like this it is our own duty to look upon ourselves and do our own criticizing. Which is what I think you have done when you shared this as a warning to others. Nothing wrong with looking out for your fellow man in your own moment of misfortune. Learn from it. Teach what you learn. Don't make the same mistake again. Move on. Do what you do.
__________________
This ain't rocket science boys!!!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigWes For This Useful Post:
Texan (08-25-2019)
  #13  
Old 08-25-2019, 05:32 PM
JTSpeedDemon's Avatar
JTSpeedDemon JTSpeedDemon is offline
Currently flathead-crazed
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,874
Thanks: 442
Thanked 219 Times in 201 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anickode View Post
Idk about specifically hydraulic brakes. I wouldn't run 40+ with a normal OEM band brake or scrubbers, but I would trust a mechanical disc as long as it was lockup capable.
Yeah, mechanical disc brakes are fine, but of course hydraulic is great if you can get it.
Whatever can lock the wheels up.
Heck, two band brakes might do the trick in a lot of situations!
__________________
Local Bird Engineering Nut
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-25-2019, 06:42 PM
Dingocat's Avatar
Dingocat Dingocat is offline
Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 320
Thanks: 28
Thanked 57 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Two of my karts lock up wheels with 1 band.
__________________
Current Manco hoarder
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-25-2019, 08:13 PM
anickode's Avatar
anickode anickode is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 1,763
Thanks: 58
Thanked 781 Times in 539 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingocat View Post
Two of my karts lock up wheels with 1 band.
At 40+mph?
__________________
"Well that would be a bomb."
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-25-2019, 09:09 PM
Dingocat's Avatar
Dingocat Dingocat is offline
Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 320
Thanks: 28
Thanked 57 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anickode View Post
At 40+mph?
One does. Other will at 30. Done it before.
__________________
Current Manco hoarder
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-26-2019, 05:16 AM
Budget GoKart's Avatar
Budget GoKart Budget GoKart is offline
Aka a kenbar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: indiana
Posts: 791
Thanks: 11
Thanked 67 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Brakes wouldnt have helped in this situation ill draw a diagram of what happend and what my freind thinks happend
__________________
Certified Yerfdog 3202-3203 expert.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-26-2019, 05:42 AM
Dingocat's Avatar
Dingocat Dingocat is offline
Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 320
Thanks: 28
Thanked 57 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget GoKart View Post
Brakes wouldnt have helped in this situation ill draw a diagram of what happend and what my freind thinks happend
I know what you're sayin. Just talking about something else.
__________________
Current Manco hoarder
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-26-2019, 05:50 AM
Budget GoKart's Avatar
Budget GoKart Budget GoKart is offline
Aka a kenbar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: indiana
Posts: 791
Thanks: 11
Thanked 67 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Basically my drive wheel drove over his front wheel he thinks by dead rear wheel ran his front over but i wouldve just spun out
__________________
Certified Yerfdog 3202-3203 expert.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-26-2019, 07:54 AM
anickode's Avatar
anickode anickode is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 1,763
Thanks: 58
Thanked 781 Times in 539 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget GoKart View Post
Basically my drive wheel drove over his front wheel he thinks by dead rear wheel ran his front over but i wouldve just spun out
And that's why concession karts have bumpers that surround the wheels.
__________________
"Well that would be a bomb."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:39 AM.