Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 08-17-2019, 05:35 PM
Off Road Go Kart Enthusia

Default Coil over ladder bar suspensions

I'm new to the forums and looking for some advice. My neighbors is a disabled vet. He lost an arm and foot in an IED blast. Anyways, he can't ride his quad anymore for obvious reasons. We were discussing making him an off road go kart/buggy. We plan on using a Predator 670. Speed is not a big of factor as power. He's 250 lbs, and just wants to putt, hit some mud, and be able to climb small hills. We are exploring a few design options and we're looking at maybe using a coil over ladder bar rear suspension to get a little height. Any thoughts, or advice is greatly appreciated I'm
Old 10-30-2019, 11:47 PM
Erased.

Default Ladder bars???

Not sure what ladder bars you're talking about, my experience with them back in the 70's was something you put under fast cars for better traction at the drags. No "extra clearance" there if doing something like that, even if you hoisted the frame up some, the bars would still be down close to the ground. Best setup for clearance in the rear is using u-joints to turn separate L&R axles from a raised up middle point. What people call "A-arms" for the front suspension would be the same thing you use in the rear, making 4-wheel independent suspension. One thing for certain, if you just use a live axle driving both rear wheels, your rear clearance will be limited to the height of that axle, which would be at dead center of your rear wheel hubs. Look at youtube in the search box for "gokart long travel front suspension" to see how that works, and you'll likely find something for the rear as well.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:17 AM
Road Hazard

Yeah, these are the ladder bars that I think of.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ladder bars.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	113282
(borrowed from web.)

And a 670 may be a bit overkill for putting depending on the weight. And I agree that an irs is the best for clearance on these.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:29 PM

Send the man my thanks for his service and I hope you the best in finding a way to accommodate his needs.