Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 08-06-2019, 11:09 AM

Default Adult 2 seater offroad restoration project - come and get involved!

Hello all!

So i have always wanted to grab an old go kart and restore it, new engine, taken down to bare metal and painted, all parts either new or reconditioned and fast as ****. I now have the proper tools and a needy frame. Im not exactly sure what brand name this go kart was but whatever lol. The frame set me back $120 delivered to my house so i think i did ok there. The frame does need some sections replaced at first glance and ill know more once i get it disassembled and ground down to bare metal.

I am new to this type of thing. I restore old boats and flip them for profit and id like to do this to the kart as well. I have high experience in wiring and electricity.. I dont exactly have experience doing this but i learn ultra fast and thats why im here! Im here to get advice and help to see me through this first project. I do have most if not all tools required for this project including metal working gear.

I need a clear direction to go in with budget considered. The sky is the limit...

Expectations: $900 budget

I want this old 2 seater offroad kart to fly....im thinking 50-60mph on asphalt (solo), and be torquey enough for the trails and hills and carrying 500lb adult loads.

A solid engine that is up-gradable, both on the cheap if possible. I have been looking at engines.... predator 420cc and the duramax 18hp engine. I AM VERY OPEN TO ENGINE IDEAS even if they are from a 4 wheeler or a motorcycle...what it takes to mount the engine and parts/upgrades considered. All advice is appreciated. I would be looking at the 670cc engines but i dont want to blow the entire budget on the engine.

New wheels and tires. I want an aggressive stance maybe the rear of the kart sitting higher than the front... awesome wheels and tires as cheaply as possible.

New suspension

New led lighting

Brakes are gonna need alot of work......

------------------

I have included some pics of the frame and what i have to work with in attachments. Lets generate some ideas, links to parts and guides and advice ect...

Thanks a ton everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-7351.jpg   IMG-7352.jpg  

IMG-7353.jpg   IMG-7354.jpg  

Old 08-06-2019, 12:09 PM

Welcome, so you are turning a Boston Whaler into a Freeman

Old 08-06-2019, 12:09 PM
Aka a kenbar

Not bad you scored a pugly! Ive always wanted to have one as a beater kart. They are chinese buggies
Also i suggest a predator 420cc and a wider stance by making the a arms and tie rods out a little farther making it have more angle and stuff but i would go for some v tread or something meaty for that look.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget GoKart View Post
Not bad you scored a pugly! Ive always wanted to have one as a beater kart. They are chinese buggies
Also i suggest a predator 420cc and a wider stance by making the a arms and tie rods out a little farther making it have more angle and stuff but i would go for some v tread or something meaty for that look.
what kind of speeds can i expect with a stock 420cc pred. engine riding solo on a buggy like this? also what kind of transmission can i pull off with this thing? i heard something about cvt trans... anything ya can tell me about this or a clutch?

Any info on modifying this engine/parts/upgrades ect?
Old 08-06-2019, 03:21 PM

Same speed as you would get with any unmodified stationary engine running at ~3600rpm. Just all depends on tire size, what cvt and the overall gear ratio.

GoPowerSports has billet connecting rods, billet aluminum flywheels with and without starter ring gear, stiffer valve springs.
Hellion (08-07-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 04:05 PM

Probably too small a buggy for a big block. Are you sure that frame will hold together with all that weight and at those speeds? I think I would be looking at one of the big Yerfdogs for this.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:28 PM

That thing originally had something like a GY6 150cc or something around that displacement, basically an ATV engine which is around 9hp. It's a smallish engine in size.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartorbust View Post
That thing originally had something like a GY6 150cc or something around that displacement, basically an ATV engine which is around 9hp. It's a smallish engine in size.
Exactly Kartorbust. A GY6 type engine with a CVT drivetrain. Kart isn't set up for a "lawn mower" engine. Machine is probably a Trailmaster or a Hammerhead. Possibly even a Kandi.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

Could be a Jet Moto also and they're no longer being built. Something like this: https://www.motobuys.com/xt250gk-2-kin.html

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Some of those machines shipped with a Honda CN250, the cylinder is more upright and the drivetrain is attached to it. You really need to know what brand it is to get the correct parts. Look at the pictures of the Jet Moto, the engine is pictured there.

http://www.scooterpartsexpress.com/s...-liquid-cooled
The Following User Says Thank You to Karttekk For This Useful Post:
ChiggerSpecies (08-07-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 11:58 PM

Thanked 3,408 Times in 2,777 Posts

It is not so easy to mod these buggies for a standard horizontal type engine. They are made for gy6 engines, and it might pay you to go that route again
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landuse View Post
It is not so easy to mod these buggies for a standard horizontal type engine. They are made for gy6 engines, and it might pay you to go that route again
the gy6 150cc seems a little slow according to what im reading about it.

i do have the ability to modify the frame to handle whatever engine (within reason, no geo metro engines ect.) and im not scared to dive right in but i need a lead on an engine that will be a good fit for what im looking to do with all things considered like how to get the power to the wheels ect. i know its a bit more involved that that....maybe i should be considering 2 stroke engines.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

i want a death machine that i can make less deadly as time goes by lol....
Old 08-07-2019, 10:23 AM
Aka a kenbar

You might need to make a new swing arm and make clearance but it can be done. ive seen one like it just it didnt run it was pretty rotten and in someones yard. so i helped them pull it out it was a stock 420cc predator but it didnt have a carb and was crusty. Get a card bored box the dimensions of a 420cc engine and make test fits before modifications
Old 08-07-2019, 11:02 AM

also its looking like the gy6 engines will decimate my budget. i cant blow the entire wad on the engine and not have enough left for wheels, parts, paint and whatever else might come up as i get into this build.

i prefer a new engine at less than $400-$500 that i can make work and has some upgradability in the future. Also reverse and charging would be nice. once i can lock down an engine....i can start this and get advice on fitment as i go...i hope.

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karttekk View Post
Exactly Kartorbust. A GY6 type engine with a CVT drivetrain. Kart isn't set up for a "lawn mower" engine. Machine is probably a Trailmaster or a Hammerhead. Possibly even a Kandi.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

Could be a Jet Moto also and they're no longer being built. Something like this: https://www.motobuys.com/xt250gk-2-kin.html

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Some of those machines shipped with a Honda CN250, the cylinder is more upright and the drivetrain is attached to it. You really need to know what brand it is to get the correct parts. Look at the pictures of the Jet Moto, the engine is pictured there.

http://www.scooterpartsexpress.com/s...-liquid-cooled

it does very VERY CLOSE to the jet moto doesnt it?

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthompson224 View Post
Probably too small a buggy for a big block. Are you sure that frame will hold together with all that weight and at those speeds? I think I would be looking at one of the big Yerfdogs for this.
i already have to do some frame work on this as some of the frame has major rust. im thinking i can shore the frame up during this process. beef it up and make it be able to handle the weight and torque of what i want to do.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiggerSpecies View Post
the gy6 150cc seems a little slow according to what im reading about it.

i do have the ability to modify the frame to handle whatever engine (within reason, no geo metro engines ect.) and im not scared to dive right in but i need a lead on an engine that will be a good fit for what im looking to do with all things considered like how to get the power to the wheels ect. i know its a bit more involved that that....maybe i should be considering 2 stroke engines.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

i want a death machine that i can make less deadly as time goes by lol....
Not sure if a GY6 engine is a little slow. This is taken right from American Landmaster's Manco Helix 6150 Owners Manual:

Top speed (20 mph Speed Reduction Kit Available) --------------------------- 35 39 mph
Old 08-07-2019, 12:20 PM

Someone said it above. It looks to be a "Li'l Power Pug" by Joy Ride Motors that had a 150cc engine. See following link.

http://www.joyridemotors.com/country...c-go-kart.html
Old 08-07-2019, 12:32 PM

That's the problem, these Chinese karts all look basically the same and some parts interchange with other karts. Read what this vendor has to say about them.

https://www.vmcchineseparts.com/page...-parts-catalog

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

That's the problem, many of these Chinese karts look the same. Some of the parts interchange with other karts. Read what this vendor has to say about them. Scroll to bottom of page.

https://www.vmcchineseparts.com/page...-parts-catalog

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Sorry about the double post.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:50 PM
Rip It Up

I just did something similar if you look under the project section I called it the family cruiser. The 420 is good for about 40 or so the way I geared it but really you don't want to go any faster in that thing. Tons of torque tho pulls me and my girl up some pretty good inclines with ease.
The Following User Says Thank You to 420Racer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420Racer View Post
I just did something similar if you look under the project section I called it the family cruiser. The 420 is good for about 40 or so the way I geared it but really you don't want to go any faster in that thing. Tons of torque tho pulls me and my girl up some pretty good inclines with ease.
Thanks for the advice! ill prolly source the engine in a few days. the 420cc predator engine is going to be a nice fit i think.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:53 PM

FYI....the darn thing is frikin heavy
The Following User Says Thank You to Bansil For This Useful Post:
ChiggerSpecies (08-08-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 06:10 PM
Rip It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiggerSpecies View Post
Thanks for the advice! ill prolly source the engine in a few days. the 420cc predator engine is going to be a nice fit i think.
No problem we've been having a lot of fun with it!
The Following User Says Thank You to 420Racer For This Useful Post:
ChiggerSpecies (08-08-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 08:01 AM

Why you need a brand new engine? Either buy a second hand engine or just buy second hand ATV/UTV with that engine. Ideally something that doesn't even run (not because of bad engine obviously). That will be super cheap. And you will get $900 engine for $90.
The Following User Says Thank You to vybrano For This Useful Post:
ChiggerSpecies (08-11-2019)