Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > More Builds

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 11:26 PM
2018 Build-Off Contestant

Default Pressure washer alternative?

So I’ve been thinking, in theory, if I took a 2-stroke weed whacker engine, removed exhaust & carb and capped the holes. Then drilled and tapped another hole in the top of the cylinder and put 2 one-way valves on it(new hole & original). Then drove it with a good motor, would/could it pump water like a pressure washer?

Would I have to worry about lubricating the cylinder, damaging the cylinder/piston, or no because the water would be cold?
Old 05-06-2018, 12:45 AM

What if you blocked off the transfer ports and exhaust port? Then you could put oil in the bottom end.

Some type of checkvalve on the intake. Spark plug hole for fittings, maybe a check valve here too.

Not sure if the thing would be a safety hazard though.

Not sure how your way would work with the water cooled/lube action.

I doubt it would work for me. Hard water, chock full of minerals, vitamins and probably toxins. Lol. In an hour it'd be full of calcium. Possible exaggeration.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:25 AM

No.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:34 AM

Thanked 4,457 Times in 3,357 Posts

A gas (state of matter not liquid fuel) pump might work
(given you grease all bearings and bearing surfaces...)
a water pump will most likely NOT!

liquids being non compressable they will cause damage if you try...
and the rest will certainly suffer from your liquid being water (the worst for all engines).

I'd say no as well

'sid
Old 05-06-2018, 09:43 AM

Thanks for your replies, I had a feeling it wouldn’t quite work.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:55 AM

The displacement would just be too high. Even IF you could make it work, spinning a weed eater engine pump with a weed eater engine at 8000 rpm would result in around a 50 gpm water flow. 50 gpm water flow would require over 100 hp electric motor or almost 200 hp gas engine to achieve 3000 psi for pressure washing. Plus you'd never be able to hang onto it, the weed eater engine pump would disintegrate, etc. There's really just no way to make it work at all.

If you look a triplex pressure pumps (what a good power washer uses) they have 3 cylinders to minimize pulsation, ceramic plungers, very small bores and strokes, multiple high and low pressure seals, etc.

I have a Cat 820 triplex pump with an 18 hp engine and it does 10gpm at 1000 psi. It's not good for normal pressure washing, but it's awesome for blasting caked mud off trucks and equipment, and large washdown jobs.

If you want to build a pressure washer, go on eBay and look for a small CAT pump like a 3cp series and pair it with a gas engine. The pumps are fully rebuildable and will last many lifetimes if taken care of. I am partial to cat pumps, but General pump, Hypro, AR, and Comet are all similar design and equally good.

Cat pump manuals and parts lists are all available on their website, and the manuals include RPM and HP charts for calculating how big a motor or engine you need.
The Following User Says Thank You to anickode For This Useful Post:
Whitetrashrocker (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 11:58 AM

Thanks anickode, I was curious because my dad has been wanting a pressure washer and finally bought one for a job, but the shipping was delayed and now he won’t have it in time.

The idea just popped into my head because I have 2 weed whackers that I need to work on and was thinking about repurposing one.
Closed Thread