Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Electric Projects

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:37 PM

Default Whats missing on this treadmill motor/controller wiring setup?

[SEE PIC...yellow wire=white wire, by the way]

Disclosure: I am an electronic/electrical moron, keep that in mind.

I bought this box lot of treadmill motor/controller/belt/5k pot/etc. in the hopes of building a variable speed wood lathe.This is how it was in the box. It seems right except I dont know whats missing (at lower left of pic). Black wire and Blue wire ends have female spade connectors. Connecting to what?
If a switch, maybe, to each other, I cant see the AC volt is suppossed to connect to the DC motor. Again, what do I know.
Thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 02:27 PM

Green wire is probably earth ground comming off the receptical. I'd guess is that all the green wires were grounded to the body of the treadmill.
Not sure I follow what the black rectangle in the lower left corner is. It has six wires coming ou of it. One blue is going to the motor and one black is going to the receptical. Are the others connected to anything? Are the same color wires coming out of the black box actually two ends of the same wire?
Also, I don't understand what the figure is on the upper right.
Have you tried googling for the model number of the motor?
Old 04-04-2010, 02:37 PM

Yes, I tried googling and going to the Proform treadmill website..no luck, thats why I'm here.

Sorry, I know the drawing sucks.

The lower left rectangle is just a 3 wire cord. Not 6 wires but 3 going thru.

The upper right is a choke, i guess its called. Not sure of its function, maybe some sort of resistance or ??

I have since been told that the blue and black wires go the a switch. I kinda figured, but wasn't sure because it doesn't make sense to me that a 110v AC would connect at all to a DC motor. Just trying to get some definite confirmation that all I need is a switch. Dont want to burn things up before I even get started.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:35 PM
I banned myself

It looks like, and I think, it's supposed to go to a switch to allow the unit to power on. Apparently, it goes through the motor as well, probably to an overload/overheat switch so that power to everything cuts off in the event there is too much load on the motor (the blue wires).

Last edited by kibble; 04-05-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:48 AM

Well, I just wired the blue and black together and EVERYTHING WORKS!! Knowing that now, I have more questions:

How do I wire up another motor I have (36 v DC scooter motor) that only has the 2 wires (red/black) instead of using the treadmill motor?

If I ran the motor on batteries, do I need the controller at all?... and how do I then wire up the 5k pot to make the motor variable speed?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:59 PM

Brushless motors need controller , brushed motors don't (in general). You'll need controller to hook up your pot, cause it (5k pot) can't withstand amount of current that motor pulls (pots usually works 0-5 V and they use some mA (miliAmps)). Scooter motors(any kind) are usually paired with controller , in order to control acceleration and current flow. Since your scooter motor has only two wires , it should be brushed motor. You can run it strait from batteries , but it'll be on or off. Brushless DC motors have more wires .
Closed Thread