Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Announcements & Suggestions > Introduce Yourself!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 04:54 AM

Default Kyle Ward

Just bought 6-7 gokarts for myself the wife n 3 kids n a few for their friends to ride. Couple after projects but no racing jus some fun in the yard. One has a separate brake pedal for each side disc brake n seems like it needs a differential or some sort. If anyone has any ideas please lmk at wardkm@live.com or 276-5917002. Got all the pieces but the rear axle, had an 8hp briggs on it. May not be the right forum but i wanted to get word out..... I need help.

Thanks,

Kyle Ward
Old 02-25-2010, 10:48 AM
thinker and tinkerer

if they ran a brake on each side, there are two reasons i have heard of for this. the first i ever heard was if the machine was made to ride wheelies. you have to steer right? so they use the brakes to steer the vehicle while in a wheelie. the second i heard on here, guy who have diffs will try running 2 brakes so they can lock up the spinning wheel to get the traction needed to dislodge themselves from mud or whatever.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:06 PM

Thanked 1,165 Times in 963 Posts

Hey Kyle, Northern Tool used to offer a kart diff, Its no longer avalible but heres a pic: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...=-1&rfno=35768
Old 02-27-2010, 04:27 AM
The Junk Man

A good replacement of the northern tool diff (since it's no longer available) is any rear axle/diff of a riding mower that has the transmission as a separate unit from the differential - simplicity, older murray's, club cadet, boden, etc. You see them on ebay often enough that you should be able to find one.

Mike's right about the two independent brake thing - it's typically to allow the kart driver to lock a wheel that's freely spinning on sand, dirt, mud to send traction to the wheel that's able to move the kart. The idea of it is pretty neat however most of the differential's that I've seen sized appropriately for karts and riding mowers are missing a few parts as compared to a full-size car - the housing rotates with the sprocket so this braking to send power to the other side only works if you're braking the wheel on the opposite side of the sprocket.

If you want a true "limited slip" with an axle like this, the solution is to have the engine drive the jackshaft fully at a 1:1 ratio and put two clutches on the jackshaft - driving a sprocket on each side of the differential but mounted on the axle halves.
Closed Thread