Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > Off Topic Forum

Notices

Old 01-25-2020, 06:16 PM
2019 Build Off Winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.@SMS View Post
What are the bushings for? You might be able to take the dimensions to a machine shop and have them turn some on a lathe. They should be able to do it easily. But definitely check on the ones you ordered. I believe in either getting the part or getting a refund.
They're throttle shaft bushings for my HiPo's Flo-Jet carburetor, I need them to fix a vacuum leak that's making it run erratically.
My dad also recently suggested getting custom bushings turned at a machine shop, that may be the only option if this falls through.
But yes, I'm either getting my parts or a refund!
Old 01-27-2020, 09:23 PM

Welp, tomorrow will be my first day back at work since Wednesday last week. No work Wednesday so had a half day, Thursday no work, so had PTO used to compensate, Friday and today had off. Fortunately, this thursday I have a job interview during my lunch break. If all goes well, I'll have a new job in a couple weeks. While this job has been good for the most part, incompetent boss, lack of work has really been driving me over the edge.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:41 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

Ok, the seller got back to me. Evidently they have to wait 14 consecutive days since last scan to declare a package as "lost". My mom is going to take me to the post office today, maybe we can have them look for it there. If all else fails I found the bushings on PartsTree, so that's a good backup.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:42 PM

Thanked 3,550 Times in 2,898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartorbust View Post
Welp, tomorrow will be my first day back at work since Wednesday last week. No work Wednesday so had a half day, Thursday no work, so had PTO used to compensate, Friday and today had off. Fortunately, this thursday I have a job interview during my lunch break. If all goes well, I'll have a new job in a couple weeks. While this job has been good for the most part, incompetent boss, lack of work has really been driving me over the edge.
I hope it works out for you
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
Kartorbust (01-29-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 07:10 PM

So had my interview today. Left work for lunch a few minutes after 12, got to the place at 12:22. Had my interview and was done by 12:38. Got hired on the spot surprisingly enough. So I guess what this job position is, pretty much demolition work for mold and other types of damage. So tearing out old drywall and cleaning up any and all mold that could form. I suck at interviews, so I was surprised that I got hired so fast. Though I'm on the fence about it all.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:48 PM

Thanked 3,550 Times in 2,898 Posts

Quote:
So had my interview today. Left work for lunch a few minutes after 12, got to the place at 12:22. Had my interview and was done by 12:38. Got hired on the spot surprisingly enough. So I guess what this job position is, pretty much demolition work for mold and other types of damage. So tearing out old drywall and cleaning up any and all mold that could form. I suck at interviews, so I was surprised that I got hired so fast. Though I'm on the fence about it all.
Is this type of work something that you don't mind doing? Is the pay and job security better than the dealership where you are now? If these are all good, then go for it

So I finally finished digging out my lawn to make space for a little wooden shed. Yesterday they came to put it up. Now all i have to do is put up a couple of shelves and start filling it up At least I will be able to clear all the "garage" stuff out of my spare rooms and study. You can see a bunch of tools and ladders that will be going in there
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200125_114154-1152x568.jpg   IMG_20200130_143456-1152x568.jpg  

IMG_20200130_143511-1152x568.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
ezcome-ezgo (02-04-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 08:06 AM
Road Hazard

Well, I found the perfect car (ish) for that 351, trouble is I can't afford it on a 17yo's salary (grades and part time job). It's a 1967 mustang base model that's missing the original engine and trans (it was a 6cyl so it won't be missed). Interior is a bit rough (mainly the door panels, and the front seats are torn, some of the carpet's missing), but the outside gooks great. The paint is a bit weathered, but there's no visible rust (though there are no underbody pics). The guy's asking $2600, which is about a thousand over the budget, though it is an "obo". And it probably won't be there long. It's on craigslist, FB marketplace and offerup.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:26 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

Even if it was a base 200/auto/notchback Mustang, I'd go for it. A first gen's a first gen, and I'd take any of them! I'm really hoping my first car will be a first generation Mustang, but that probably means I'm gonna have to earn a LOT of money!
Old 02-03-2020, 08:57 PM

Your insurance will be through the roof, if you daily drive it. If it's a weekend car and you only go like 12,000 miles a year with collector plates, might be cheaper. But considering you are under the age of 25, good luck.

When I was in 7th grade (going back in time 14 years), there was a classic first gen Mustang for sale for $200. Body was in rough shape, kind of a roller (no engine or transmission), dash was missing, wheels were not original. But if I had the money back then, I probably would have let that sit as well. I'd rather take a Boss 351 Mustang, but I'll never own one. For a classic car, a DeLorean is on my list. For a sports car, Lotus Exige. Truck wise, tough call 1978 Dodge Lil Red Express, GMC Cyclone, or first gen Ram W250 5.9L Cummins, with a swapped NV4500.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:09 AM
Road Hazard

Well, If all goes well I'll be getting the truck this weekend (though I'm not holding my breath). I may do a cheapo/diy/redneck lift kit. It won't ever be going on the road so it'll be fine. And it has no title (my great uncle let it go 20 years ago when he stopped driving it). Eventually I'll strip it down and sell it for parts, except for the engine axle and driveshaft, I'll be keeping those. Though I don't know what I'm going to do with the trans (I doubt an '86 AOD with 3 engines on it is worth much).
Old 02-04-2020, 12:39 PM
Road Hazard

Forgot to mention that my bike's in the shop. The crank arm bolt kept backing out, and the rear brake reach adjustment kept loosening up. Also it needed a tune up (new chain, grease everything, and adjust the derailers). So for now I'm riding the deathtrap (Schwinn sidewinder 26"). Which is the worst bike I've ever owned. The entire rear shifter system was junk, so I just use the rear derailer as a chain tensioner, and use 1st and 2nd gears up front. Also it's on it's 3rd rear wheel.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:57 AM
Aka a kenbar

I have plans to sell all other projects exept my coleman and yard karts and just maintain a fleet of yard karts and i need to teach my girl freind how to ride them this summer
Old 02-07-2020, 10:51 AM

@jtspeeddemon

saw this and thought of you.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmaack For This Useful Post:
JTSpeedDemon (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 11:21 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

Hehe, my tiller is 43 years old! Dunno on my 3 HP.
My HiPo engine on the Hothead is 34 years old, and the frame is probably a little under 50 years old!

Just gotta pick up my income and my projects should get movin'!
Old 02-08-2020, 07:21 AM

My friend bought a Chinese Lifan gs212e. He has an oil pump and connecting rod lubrication. We will check this, I hope the pump will solve the problem with a broken connecting rod.

Steel connecting rod. 70mm piston
13HP
Attached Thumbnails
9JF4KShGho4.jpg   Ll61NR0HGlk.jpg  

Old 02-08-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chados View Post
My friend bought a Chinese Lifan gs212e. He has an oil pump and connecting rod lubrication. We will check this, I hope the pump will solve the problem with a broken connecting rod.

Steel connecting rod. 70mm piston
13HP
I like what I see, do you have a picture of the steel connecting rod?

I assume it is only available in Russia , how long has it been for sale?

Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:29 PM

Would be nice if more small engines had an oil pump, rather than splash type. Bet you could do more with it and have it be more reliable.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:50 PM
2019 Build Off Winner!

Well, went paintballing for the first time today. Went to a really nice facility, they had both urban and forest arenas, it was FUN!

We were using Tippmann semi autos, and overall I really liked them! They felt really well made, and shot pretty accurately.
Some of the most memorable moments for me is when one enemy came up the entrance to the sniper tower I was in and told me to surrender! It took me a second to process that he was an enemy, but when I did, I simply shot him! He shot me back, but at least I took him down with me!

Another memorable moment is when I was hiding behind a pile of bark chips, and I nabbed a long range headshot from about 100-200 feet! The ball exploded with a perfect splat on his helmet, but he didn't notice until afterwards. It was a nice shot, though!

For all my brother and dad's talk about how much it hurt, I got hit from about 5 feet, and it didn't really hurt! *shrug*

I also reordered the throttle shaft bushings for my Flo-Jet today from Jack's Small Engines.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl View Post
I like what I see, do you have a picture of the steel connecting rod?
I assume it is only available in Russia , how long has it been for sale? Thanks for sharing.
They went on sale in November 2019. According to my data, 200 engines arrived in Russia. I think that there may also be deliveries to other countries. Engineers of the Lifan plant came to Russia and studied torn connecting rods, after which they released this engine.

Quote:
Would be nice if more small engines had an oil pump, rather than splash type. Bet you could do more with it and have it be more reliable.

We hope so, we have motor races for karting, with a high load.
Attached Thumbnails
WQD-q3dEfyo.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to chados For This Useful Post:
karl (02-08-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 04:57 PM

So we found out what was wrong with our old 2003 Mountaineer. Turns out that it has at least one warped head and/or blown head gasket. So we are just going to have it brought to a salvage yard. The Triton 4.6L V8 is a great engine, when it runs well.