Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:40 PM

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,694 Posts
Default Sad News For Canadian Karters- UPDATE!!!

After reading a disturbing post in a thread here yesterday, I took my morning coffee break to call the Princess Auto Distribution Centre in Winnipeg. Unfortunately, Princess Auto will no longer be selling the 6.5 clone. Supplies are quite limited, there may be a few more coming in late February, but was advised not to hold my breath. This sux.

All you clone-haters out there can say what you wish, we ARE well aware of your opinions, but the truth is this- the clones are an inexpensive, reliable, upgradeable power source for small motorsports enthusiasts on a budget. Many people can't afford a new Honda, Briggs, Tec, etc. Many people cannot find a resonably priced sled/bike/quad donor within reach. Facts is facts.
For you American brothers, this roughly equates to Harbor Freight dropping them from inventory. Princess Auto is inexpensive and accessible for many of us Canucks.

TSC (Tractor Supply) does carry a 6.5 clone, but is not priced as well as Princess'.
Self-help group to follow...
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...

Last edited by Doc Sprocket; 01-25-2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
Old 01-25-2010, 04:46 PM

i knew it! i still have my old powerfist haha i shouldnt say its old it was only run for like an hour or two lol but that is too bad. look at it this way toy story . . . now all us canucks can get 9 hp clones lol
Old 01-25-2010, 04:47 PM
AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY

Quote:
the 6.5 clone has been discontinued.
Big difference between discontinued and not stocking it.
It has not been discontinued.
Obviously they weren't selling enough units to justify taking up valuable space.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:50 PM

Sorry for the confusion, Russ. "Discontinued" in this case ir referring directly to Princess Auto. Regardless of manufacture, they will not continue to stock it. I believe I'll go clarify that...
Old 01-25-2010, 04:51 PM

um pretty sure discontinued means THEY ARENT MAKING IT! not stocking it simply means they are making them they just aren't putting them on the self
Old 01-25-2010, 04:52 PM

See above-
Old 01-25-2010, 05:11 PM
KartRacer695

aww this sucks, is it all Princess autos or yours in winnipeg?
Old 01-25-2010, 05:15 PM

Mine is Newmarket or Barrie. I called Winnipeg, it's the distribution centre. ALL PA's..
Old 01-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Unfinished projects king.

Ask if they will order one in for you once they've stopped stocking them, they probably will. Unless they aren't being imported into Canada anymore I can't see why they wouldn't/couldn't order one in for you as a special order?

Hayden
Old 01-27-2010, 06:21 PM

I've been communicating with the purchasing staff at the Princess Auto Distribution Centre, and have learned the following: They are changing suppliers, and while that PARTICULAR engine will no longer be stocked, there is another one coming in it's place, for about the same price. I am awaiting confirmation that the replacement engine will indeed be a similar 6.5 clone... Here's hoping!
Cheers- Chris
Old 01-27-2010, 07:52 PM
The Junk Man

The clone versus "real deal" arguments are always amusing. It's like us older car guys arguing that a 66 GTO is a better car than a turbocharged Honda.

It comes down to preference, wallet, time, availability whether cars, kart engines, shirts, shoes, pizza toppings.

BTW you've not had "real" pizza until you eaten thin crust pizza made in Brooklyn NY ;-)

Anyway, to the lack of availability of clone engines, many of the HF stores stockpile there equivalent, and maybe they'd be willing to ship up north. With the Canadian dollar versus the US dollar at the moment, I imagine it wouldn't be terribly overpriced, especially if purchased on sale. HF puts them on sale from time to time.

I happen to have one of the horizontal 6.5 harbor freight engines and before I ran it I dismantled it completely and compared it part for part with the honda that it's supposed to be a copy of.

I will say it's not exact, but pretty darn close. Every measurement I took was off by about 0.01-0.03" - journals, diameters, etc.

Does it matter? Probably not. I took it apart not to be anal and measure it out, but rather to see if the crank, rod and wrist pin was any good. I have real bad luck with small motors and if they're going to die in a spetacular way, it's in my hands ;-)

I'm glad I took it apart because mine didn't have the oil splasher installed and would have cooked to death in a few minutes. HF was happy to send me the parts - no charge. I was pleased, I expected a huge hassle since I bought it about eight months ago and hadn't fired it up yet.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:05 PM
the names 'mater

THIN CRUST PIZZA FOR THE DANG WIN!!! lol
but wow it didnt have the splasher in it!!! wow thats just horrible.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:44 PM

That is sad..My local store is whitby but they never seen to have any in stock..I got a 6.5 powerfist for my son's dirtbug and it seems like a great engine so far.Hopefully they will keep the replacement engine in stock.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
Hopefully they will keep the replacement engine in stock.
Never worry about stock with Princess Auto- as long as theycarry the item, they're always more than happy to send whatever you want in from their distribution centre, all ya gotta do is ask!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:19 PM

I was wondering how this could be? there has to be alot of companies out there that makes these (clones) most of them are made in china or some other over seas country. The only way that they could be taken away is if all the companies shut down or (here in the States) if some international trade law was set up to santion the sale or distribution. If it does happen then does that cover all (clones) or just 6.5 , what about 13hp or 16 or any of the others??
Old 01-28-2010, 06:27 PM

princess auto still carries 9, 13, 15 clones! as well as there 20 hp vtwin!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:24 AM

I just noticed a new 7hp made by duncar at my local princess auto in BC. It goes for 325.00 and is labelled as a snow blower engine. It comes with an electric start
Old 01-29-2010, 01:08 PM
AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY

All new Honda clone replacement:
Old 01-29-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzar View Post
I just noticed a new 7hp made by duncar at my local princess auto in BC. It goes for 325.00 and is labelled as a snow blower engine. It comes with an electric start
Yeah- Just saw that in my newest sale flyer, couple points- 1)engine marked in flyer as "special purchase", meaning they have a limited quantity only, not a continuous thing.
2)Check the electric start thing out, if it's for a snowblower, it's very likely a 120 volt starter, most useless for a kart...
Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 AM

I saw that as well..Kinda pricey compared to the 6.5 clone motors(especially when they are on sale)...
Closed Thread