Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Photo Gallery & Project Log

Notices

Old 12-23-2019, 07:06 AM

Default New (late) entry (BOBBER KART)

Hi Guys! My name is Tony im from BC Canada and ive been following the forum for a few years now. this summer i got the (bright?) idea to build my own frame from scratch, sourcing parts from a chinese 250cc x-rage dirtbike (now lifan) and bending some 3/4 inch tubing to my will. Ill be uploading more pictures of the build process as soon as i can as im stuck out at work currently and my broken phone has all the pictures on it. just wanted to share my work with the rest of you all id love some input as to what i could change and to to maybe make the frame a bit more secure and safe if i havent already done that, as well as how i could have it look more bad-a...
the idea behind this build was to make it look like a "bobber" bike. stripped down to next to nothing, white walled tires black engine with chrome find and the whole 9 yards.
Thanks so much for your time, and as mentioned ill be posting more pictures for those interested.
Attached Thumbnails
20190929_133952.jpg  
Old 12-23-2019, 11:22 AM

Thanked 4,588 Times in 3,463 Posts

Sorry Tony!
since you're missing the required sign as per the build off rules,
and you're way past the 50% mark as far as I can tell,
you will not be allowed in this years build off

And with that the thread was moved to the project log forum.

Other than that: welcome aboard.

'sid
Old 12-23-2019, 12:30 PM

all good, just happy to be a part of things ill have to do a little better reading next year
Old 12-24-2019, 09:57 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

Sooo, is that picture the kart as it sits, 'cause it looks like a racing kart! Read: EPIC!!
boatboybuilds (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 10:47 AM

Currently, not much has changed other than the frame got a nice coat of paint and so did the gas tank and the rest of the parts (stupid cold and snow ). im currently in the process of making up all kinds of bushings with the help of a friend and his 3D printer as everything will need to be custom. as of right now it does about 100-120kmh, and ive been way too scared to tap it out. i want to eventually mount a tachometer on it somehow so i dont have to gps my speed, although that might be a challenge. let this snow go away tho and ill let ya know what she can do
ill also be needing to still add on more safety devices, such as chain guard etc, and eventually want to run the exhaust up by the right rear tire with a fat harley-style pipe on it.
the frame is definitely modeled after a racing kart as well, i lengthened it about a foot and therefore have about an extra foot of wheelbase. i wanted something a little larger than the standard kart as im 184cm and a little over 78kg. standard karts are a bit of a squeeze for me hehe
The Following User Says Thank You to boatboybuilds For This Useful Post:
JTSpeedDemon (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 01:43 PM
2019 Build Off Winner!

Whoahoa! That's like 70 MPH!!

Sounds like some awesome plans! Can we get some more pictures?
Old 12-28-2019, 07:43 AM

There you are! hoping everyone had a good christmas
This was started in about june of this year. basically i sat down on the ground next to a measuring tape and a large piece of plywood and marked out where i would be comfortable, as well as where bends would go in the frame. its 72 inches tall standing on its end.
the second picture is the engine i sourced. this thing was almost brand new looking on the inside, minor cleanup and shaving the bottom of the block to make it fit the motor mounts a bit better and bob's your uncle!
Third picture is the frame with some more supports welded in, as well as some 3/4in square tubing in the back half of the frame to help stiffen everything up a bit more as its extended about a said foot.
fourth picture is the engine mounted onto the frame/motor mount. its a triangle out of 3/4 in square, with the original engine bracket welded to the front and a half inch bolt through the back. so far its been doing more than well but do let me know if i should be strengthening this a bit.
last picture is just the pedals i had started making up, some half inch round rod through a pipe bender and eventually got some angle iron on then to mount throttle cables and springs (more to come)
Attached Thumbnails
20190412_231508.jpg   20190607_221355.jpg  

20190420_132530.jpg   20190718_121901.jpg  

20190708_232005.jpg  
Old 12-28-2019, 07:44 AM

im sorry theyre sideways lol let me fix that next time... im learning
Old 12-28-2019, 08:33 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatboybuilds View Post
...and bob's your uncle!...

As a matter of fact I DO have an uncle named Bob!

That thing looks so good! Especially for a home build!
Old 12-28-2019, 10:45 AM

Thank you so much! i definitely took my time with this thing, countless hours went into tending to my OCD lol. here's some more pictures for you guys, im hoping i have them all orientated the right way finally
Steering column made up. i wanted something rounded and oldschool looking. pedals are ready to be thrown in as well.

mocking up the steering column, my plan was to originally use a rack and pinion setup but that was far too time consuming and a little overkill for this machine id say. i still might set one up down the road but for now, some u-joints and a nice ackerman arm off of some half inch roundstock will do fine.. the ujoints do have a little play in them so somewhere down the road i might eliminate one of the two, but for now it does well. (possibly just get better quality joints, might fix it a tad?)

shifter all set up and working just perfectly. 1 down and 4 up i used the handle of an older tubing bender we had for some nice finger grips, unbelievably comfortable

and the last picture is the .50 cal ammo box i used to mount all my electronics. the hole got a nice rubber gromet, and all i still need to do in there is make a nice hanger for the CDI box (original one tore) and that will be all taken care of.

more to come soon thanks for following up on this thread and i always do appreciate feedback!
Attached Thumbnails
steering column 1.jpg   pedalsmounted.jpg  

steering mockup.jpg   Columnandshifter.jpg  

electronics.jpg  
Old 01-03-2020, 08:05 PM

here's a few more of it on wheels and all put together. that was me trying to get it running in the shop at work (it was all a mess during our cleanup so excuse all the crud lying around). will get a few more of the frame and some parts painted tonight as well
Attached Thumbnails
on wheels.jpg   on wheels2.jpg  

shop shot 3.jpg   shop shot 4.jpg  

Old 01-03-2020, 08:10 PM

Hope everyone had a great new years!
ill be working on a belly pan for it come spring, along with the chain guard and probably a tensioner
Attached Thumbnails
primed.jpg   painted.jpg  

packaged.jpg   tank.jpg  

Old 01-06-2020, 12:36 AM

Thanked 3,561 Times in 2,906 Posts

Your build is awesome! You have some skills

How does the steering handle at those top speeds?
Old 01-06-2020, 06:21 PM

Thank you landuse!
as of right now it is a little jerky, and the rods are a little wonky yet without some proper bushings, ill have to make those up in spring when i put it back together and let you know! if it doesnt work as well as i want it to, im going to convert it to a single steering shaft instead of running it to the center of the kart frame, with one short and one longer tie rod. it has adjustable steering stops though so if i want to drag race it down an airstrip im sure it'd keep my straight as an arrow id love to be able to get at least a full rotation or two as well for full turns, im gonna see what kind of steering box or reduction i can come up with (fingers crossed)
landuse (01-07-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 05:34 PM

Default were back, baby!

after the winter hiatus (wish i could hibernate like bears do ugh) and with the snow finally starting to melt, ive been busy busy again working on my baby. took the frame back to the shop at work and got right to sanding down the block and getting it ready for paint, as well as painting up and modifying my dash to include a speedometer and RPM gauge finally get to know how fast this thing can go, given that the gps is fairly accurate. ive also been making up some steering bushings out of discarded pieces of tubing we had for our emergency lights, we needed about an inch of every tube and they were all at least 6 long long so long story short, i have a whole lot of bushings i can go through i mostly just need to find out where to mount the brake reservoir now, im thinking possibly off the side of the bracket that pivots the brake rod? id shorten the tubing from the reservoir so it wont have too much slack and actually flow down. but that wont be an issue.
Pics below
Attached Thumbnails
bushing tubes.jpg   dash and paints.jpg  

stopping power.jpg   where do mount ._..jpg  

painted steering parts.jpg  
Old 03-01-2020, 05:38 PM

2/3
Attached Thumbnails
finished bushing.jpg   finished bushing 2.jpg  

painted dash.jpg   paint wet.jpg  

paint wet 2.jpg  
Old 03-01-2020, 05:43 PM

3/3

be putting it all together very soon, probably another 4am night in the shop atfer work tonight wouldnt have it any other way.
more pics coming soon! cheers
Attached Thumbnails
paint wet 3.jpg   OMG.jpg  

Old 03-01-2020, 06:06 PM

Thanked 1,825 Times in 1,512 Posts

I don't know how I missed this but thats a cool engine.. and I like that paint job..
Nice..

Oh and a shout out to my local brotha..
A few of us here on the forum..
Old 03-01-2020, 07:55 PM

Thanked 4,588 Times in 3,463 Posts

kart's surely well made [not sure about it's layout tbh.. looks to bee too wide iyam],
engine looks great.. all true!
but frankly.. IMHO it looks terrible with a motorcycle tank right next to your head

no matter how beautiful the tank is,
A kart should't look like you had a passenger with a stupidly shaped helmet

tank belongs unter the steering column.
and yes, you'll need a fuel pump, I know..

'sid
Old 03-01-2020, 08:12 PM

why shouldnt it? i say to each their own, you can never please everyone, and i highly encourage everyone on here to follow their own creative endeavors with enthusiasm! i personally think it looks hella cool, its unique and im not one for following trends. never have been. it also acts as an air scoop ( fun fact) and its designed that way to stay true to its motorcycle roots, as well as my appreciation for bobber bikes and go karts. and while it might look weird to some, other will love it. as with anything

mckutzy what are we waiting for then?? lets get together for a proper shred sometime, ive been eyeing up a track in Oliver. it looks like you could give karts a nice proper thrash there > im super happy with how the paint turned out as well, it should be pretty chip resistant too if cured right. i just have a shop heater sitting on it at the moment getting it a little bake before i run the engine
Texan (03-03-2020)